5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rough Country rear wheel well liner install

Wandering Wheel

Reaction score
Did my first "mod" on the truck today and installed some wheel well liners. I'm going to be moving to Alaska at the end of the year and this is the first of many steps I'm taking to protect the truck. Since for some reason all trucks don't come standard with this sort of thing, I needed to do it myself. Decided to go with Rough Country after reading some good things about them on the forum and picked them up for $97.55, taxes and shipping included, from Amazon. Like others have said, they ship without a box. Here they are as packaged for shipping.

PXL_20220327_173808601.jpg

Shot from the other side. They had a couple dents in them but they were easy to pop out by leaving them in the sun for a while to soften up.
PXL_20220327_173818478.jpg

They come with 1x pushpin for each liner and an instruction sheet. Other than that they rely on the hardware already on the truck.
PXL_20220327_174027993.jpg
PXL_20220327_174038137.jpg

Many threads on here have covered installing wheel well liners, plus the instructions are fairly clear, so I'll focus more on my lessons learned.

What I didn't realize about this product is where it sits in the "layers" of material. I have the OE flares, so the order of layers from outside to inside are: Plastic flare - Sheet metal - Plastic molding (mini liner). The bolts in the wheel well hold everything together by pressing on the flare with a washer and threading into a metal insert on the plastic molding; effectively sandwiching the sheet metal in between. These Rough Country liners go in between the sheet metal and the plastic molding. The liners do not have holes for the bolts to pass through, they instead rely on being clamped to the sheet metal by the plastic molding. Look at my very first photo, see those rectangular cutouts along the inner edge of the liners? Those correspond to the bolt locations and allow you to slide the liner far enough in. So your new order of layers is: Plastic flare - Sheet metal - Liner - Plastic molding.
Here is a picture without the liner installed. You can see the bolts that hold the plastic molding into place.
PXL_20220327_174748524.jpg

Simple right? Just loosen the bolts and shove that liner in there as far as it will go. Here is what I learned: It is extremely easy to put the liner in the wrong place and get it stuck between the OE flare and the sheet metal. Once it is there it is really difficult to get it into the right place. I don't have a heat gun, so I had to get creative with mirrors to get the sun to warm up where I got stuck.
PXL_20220327_181433954.jpg

Those bolts are at least an inch long. I found it easier to loosen them to where they were barely hanging on or to remove them all together.

Since you can access the backside of most of the bolts holding things together, it is easy to guide things into place. For example, I did not have to use a piece of tape as in step 1, I just went from the backside of the wheel well with a small screwdriver and used it to guide the parts into position.

It took me like an hour to figure out the first one and then get it into the proper "layer," but the second went in after only 10 min or so. Overall I am pleased enough with them. They are contoured really well and fit snuggly in the wheel well when properly positioned.
PXL_20220327_190851466.jpg

Love the forum and am happy I can finally contribute. Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• PXL_20220327_174748524.jpg
    PXL_20220327_174748524.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 52

mhb1638

Reaction score
LOL I'm doing mine soon on my Rebel...ironically they sent me 2 sets! hahaha

ManchuWarrior

Reaction score
Thanks for this! I recently learned about the liners and now kicking myself I didn't originally order them from the factory. This and a bed mat will be my first two items I do.

Truck is on order so I'll be able to do this shortly upon receipt of the truck.

stax199

Reaction score
Got mine in today. 45 degrees on long island. Driver side went in all under 10 min. Passenger side was donkey d**k!! Prob 40 min of wrestling. Didnt use heat but finally worked the liner edge in nicely. Wasnt ready for the 2nd well struggle. Finished they are great & as everyone says all trucks should have em.

bertleywjh

Reaction score
Put mine on this weekend. For everyone that will install these, don't worry about heating them up to fit in the tight spots. Just use a plastic trim tool or a screwdriver with tape on the end (to prevent paint scratches) to pry the lips under the metal. Doesn't take a lot of force.

mkling

Reaction score
I need to order a set of these this week. Is there much difference between rough country or the husky? Wondering which to get..
Thanks.

Bullseyeft

Reaction score
OP, Your install Post was pretty awesome. I did find a trick to get these installed fairly easy. Like you my first one was the learning curve. That one took me about 45 minutes. Once I figured out the trick, the second one took about 15 minutes. That includes tightening the screws back up. What I figured out was, once inside the wheel well, I put the 10mm bolt in the frame back in loosely to help hold the liner in place. I started putting it under the sheet metal lip from the front towards the cab. Once it was in about 1/3 of the way around. I moved to the back towards the tailgate and put 1/3 of the way around starting at the bottom working it in going upward. The center went in fairly easy after that. I used a plastic body trim tool to work it under the sheet metal. Wasn't too bad after I figured out that little trick. Thanks for your post.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took my wheels off. Made it a lot simpler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online