5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rough Country 3.5" rear shock replacement

SColang22

Reaction score
I'm looking to improve ride quality after my lift. Will replacing the N3 shocks from rough country with higher quality ones help (Fox or king) or will I just need to replace the springs?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking to improve ride quality after my lift. Will replacing the N3 shocks from rough country with higher quality ones help (Fox or king) or will I just need to replace the springs?
That will have minimal change in ride quality. The ride quality changed more because of the preload spacer in the front. If you put new tires on it that would have stiffened the ride up as well.

SColang22

Reaction score
You need to ditch the Rough Country and put on the 4in BDS kit like I am :LOL:
haha no thanks. I aint cutting into my truck yet. besides I don't think that will help much as its still using spacers. if anything ill just add the fox shocks

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get it but your going to have that same crappy ride like I do...I only threw on the Readylift because nothing else was out....BDS is a top notch outfit and even has lawyers to help you if you have any issues at the dealership.
Research them and you will see what I mean. Good Luck

SColang22

Reaction score
I get it but your going to have that same crappy ride like I do...I only threw on the Readylift because nothing else was out....BDS is a top notch outfit and even has lawyers to help you if you have any issues at the dealership.
Research them and you will see what I mean. Good Luck
oh i had bds on my last truck. the are good but honestly they are over priced and the ride quality wasn't much better (probably just from the fox shocks) than my truck is now unless you opt for the coilovers but there goes 6k. You are really paying for a brand name and warranty.

Last edited:

SColang22

Reaction score
That will have minimal change in ride quality. The ride quality changed more because of the preload spacer in the front. If you put new tires on it that would have stiffened the ride up as well.
I'm just looking to get a little back. Might look at some longer front struts

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
oh i had bds on my last truck. the are good but honestly they are over priced and the ride quality wasn't much better (probably just from the fox shocks) than my stuck is now unless you opt for the coilovers but there goes 6k. You are really paying for a brand name and warranty.
I get it but if we spent all that $$ on our new trucks and then pay for all the extras it may look nice but does not perform the way it should with these spacer kits. BDS is just about the same as the other companies and at least you get the warranty...They don't have coilovers for the 4in lift yet and I think I'll be ok without them. I absolutely hate the way my truck drives and handles if I'm not on smooth pavement. I'm gonna make the switch before my ball joints go lol.

SColang22

Reaction score
Maybe you can Frankenstein it like some others are doing with the 5100's
That's one of the ones I'm looking at but they don't go tall enough. I want 3" and they only go 2.5"

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's one of the ones I'm looking at but they don't go tall enough. I want 3" and they only go 2.5"
Yeah unfortunately with the Bill Steen’s you can only ditch the preload spacer but need to keep the top hat space or so to spend all that money and not really get anything out of it seems to be a waste for me unless you are only doing highway driving.

Users who are viewing this thread