5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rough Country 20" hidden lightbar owners please chime in...

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looking to possibly add this to my rig.. are you guys happy with it? Do u recommend the standard black series or the upgraded unit with drl's? Please advise... TIA!

Last edited:

downsc123

Reaction score
I have no issues with mine. Pretty bright and no issues so far (had it on since March). I went with the DRL option too.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Their light bars, like most of their stuff, are just cheap rebranded parts.

I have a 30in black series in my garage that’s all corroded and got moisture behind it. And it was a warranty replacement from another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RickWaz

Reaction score
I had mine with the Amber DRLs that lasted 2-years before it puked and stopped working. Rough Country sent a replacement w/o any issues. It has slightly different DRLs. But the original had, and replacement has, great output!

MattGalmish

Reaction score
Looking to possibly add this to my rig.. are you guys happy with it? Do u recommend the standard black series or the upgraded unit with drl's? Please advise... TIA!

I had the black series with amber DRL on my 08. They didn’t make a bumper mount for it at the time, so I made my own. I was actually VERY surprised/pleased with that light for the price. Yeah there are better ones on the market but not at that price point. Also, if you look on their website, the black w/drl has a higher output than the non drl. Believe one is 100W and 200W. They also have a new wireless controller so you don’t have to run a switch to the cab if you don’t want to.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you want to go a different route, shifts and grins sells brackets for you to mount basically an6 30 inch light bar you want in that spot, kinda opens up the possibilities, I bought a set and they are really nice, just waiting to get a light bar now

Rambo Rebel

Reaction score

Love mine! I have the black series with DRL. Looks great and installed nicely. No complaints! Definitely recommend it.

cf313fb335fbe011008cd26598af1f0e.jpg

gzgg99

Reaction score
I've been looking at these. I want the higher lumen output of the ones with DRLs, but don't want DRLs. Can you wire it up so the DRLs don't come on and you can just turn on full power when you want it?

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Says right on the instructions its a 3-4hr install time, and if you dont already have the mesh grill then that has to be changed as well. A lot of shops are charging an hourly rate of $100 these days. So its not that far off, why its always cheaper to do it yourself.

MattGalmish

Reaction score
Just got a quote for $500 to install this... lol

Yikes! Just do it yourself and save the $500 for more/other modifications! Can’t be TOO difficult. Especially now since RC now has a wireless remote that should work for the light. Which means no wires in the cab and no drilling to mount switch!

This will most likely be what I do next to mine.

CMil527

Reaction score
Yeah i'm not too concerned with mounting it or changing out the lower grille mesh I've just never been comfortable with wiring stuff coupled with miserable nj winter been looking the last few weeks to get it done and finally heard back from one guy but at that price I told him to go scratch! :ROFLMAO:

MattGalmish

Reaction score
Yeah i'm not too concerned with mounting it or changing out the lower grille mesh I've just never been comfortable with wiring stuff coupled with miserable nj winter been looking the last few weeks to get it done and finally heard back from one guy but at that price I told him to go scratch! :ROFLMAO:

Hahaha! When I installed it on my 08, the wiring was SUPER DUPER simple. Was literally it’s own harness that just needed a hot 12v power source and good ground, so I just connected straight to battery and routed it straight through a hole already on the firewall into the cab.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a bunch of posts on the board somewhere about my setup.
I believe I have a rigid SR (single row) series, 20in black series.

I love it. I really do.
Pretty sure I have Ebay brackets, I went to home depot to get the extra hardware.

The black series does help it hide well in many light sources, it doesn't "Stick out" as much as say, a dual row one with silver reflectors.
Not that there's anything wrong with that! Just wasn't the look I was going for.

I would say the brightness level Just about negates running high beams. They're like highbeams but punch further. Highbeams only add a little bit of spill left and right if you run them both simultaneously
(The version I got is more "spot" than flood).

The "Off my lawn 9000" as I call it, has been very effective and getting deer to move out of the way when I come home!

The Groove

Reaction score
This is what brought me to this cool forum!! Crazy timing! I have just received my lower grill replacement (see through honeycomb style) for my 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn. Purchased the RC 20" behind the grill complete kit a couple months ago. Plan on installing myself, and this place has been a great source for help. One question I have for anyone that had to remove the "solid one piece" lower grill for the new honeycomb one. Crawling underneath it seems fairly straight forward... Pushpins in the bottom. bolts on top, but what about the sensor removal and install on the new grill? I cant seem to find any info on how go about it. And I really don't want to break them little jokers. Any other tips or tricks would be appreciated as well. Thanks!!

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is what brought me to this cool forum!! Crazy timing! I have just received my lower grill replacement (see through honeycomb style) for my 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn. Purchased the RC 20" behind the grill complete kit a couple months ago. Plan on installing myself, and this place has been a great source for help. One question I have for anyone that had to remove the "solid one piece" lower grill for the new honeycomb one. Crawling underneath it seems fairly straight forward... Pushpins in the bottom. bolts on top, but what about the sensor removal and install on the new grill? I cant seem to find any info on how go about it. And I really don't want to break them little jokers. Any other tips or tricks would be appreciated as well. Thanks!!
When I did mine I disconnected the wires and left the sensors in the solid grille, removed the grille and then popped the sensors off just to make it a little easier. If my memory is correct the electrical connectors for the sensors have a locking clip that you have the unlock before you disconnect the plug. The little locking clips don’t come off the connector they just pop back a little. Getting the sensors out is pretty simple, there’s a tab on two sides of the sensor, just take a flat tip and pry the tabs up and the sensor should come out. I might be missing some info here hopefully someone who did this more recently can chime in, I did mine about 7 months ago. Hope that helps🙂

The Groove

Reaction score
When I did mine I disconnected the wires and left the sensors in the solid grille, removed the grille and then popped the sensors off just to make it a little easier. If my memory is correct the electrical connectors for the sensors have a locking clip that you have the unlock before you disconnect the plug. The little locking clips don’t come off the connector they just pop back a little. Getting the sensors out is pretty simple, there’s a tab on two sides of the sensor, just take a flat tip and pry the tabs up and the sensor should come out. I might be missing some info here hopefully someone who did this more recently can chime in, I did mine about 7 months ago. Hope that helps🙂

Thanks for the help! So dang busy here lately probably be a week or two before I get a few hours to fool with it. So Im trying get all the info I can ahead of time. LOL But im pickin up what your laying down. I figured they would be a friction fit of some sort. Thanks for the insight!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online