5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roof top solar

jalake

Reaction score
I'm looking to get opinions on mounting roof top solar on my etorque.

The idea is to mount a 100w flexible panel on the roof, and have a battery selector in the bed to change from charging the starting battery (since my etorque system doesn't always charge and the dealers can't find an issue) and charge my battery for my overlanding set up.

Has anyone done this, as I could not find any by searching the forums.

Also is there any issues running solar charging to the house battery with the etorque system? Would I want solar charging turned off while the vehicle is running and does it affect the BMS module on the battery at all?

i can help you with this question even though I THINK i posted about it before (but I never got to update it)
IMG_4300.jpg
Questions you need to ask yourself: how are you going to mount the panel on the roof and are you ready to deal with those consequences?
There 2 ways to mount panels to the roof. One is flexible panel stick on, the other is hard panel mounted to the roof rack.
Two problems with those here: 1. how are you going to deal with the double sided tape/ glue when panel goes bad and you need to replace it, especially you run the chance of damaging the paint on the roof, and 2. are you ready to deal with the roof rack? There are 2 types of roof rack: drill and no drill. Drilling the roof requires you to do ample waterproofing, are you capable of making sure doing a great job sealing it? No drill require the use of clamp on types of roof rack, and as someone who does this a lot and build overlanding/ offroading rigs for career, I DO NOT trust those clamp on types to hold. Nuts and bolts are the way to go.

Is it doable? Yes absolutely but at a great cost.
The 2 panels I got on top of my camper are Bouge RV Yuma 200w CIGS Flex Panel, and they retail at $599.99 EACH. These are significantly more expensive than other panels, but these are the best performing ones out there. Real world conversion rate is significantly higher than cheaper alternatives (when competitions are pushing 140W out of 200w panel, these are pushing 180W out of 200W panel), and even if partially obstructed these will still push power at a reduced rate while cheaper ones straight up would stop making power.

I use a Renogy 50A DC-DC charger with MPPT to charge my 100AH LiFEPO4 in the camper. This is a smart charger, meaning it automatically switches from charging the house battery from alternator or solar depending on solar output, and can top off starting battery via solar as needed. There's a ignition trigger wire that you must connect so the smart charger knows you have a smart alternator system (not mild hybrid system, but smart alternator). I've ran it for over a year and ran it 50 days straight on my trip to Alaska and Arctic Ocean and back, and it's still going good. This unit is around $300. *Be sure to buy from Renogy direct and not Amazon because the Amazon options are the old version, and solar is capped at 25A while the new version sold at Renogy website has full 50A solar capability). I've yet to see any issue with e-torque with this setup, and the starting battery still remains at the same charging habit as before (when the truck was brand new bone stock - voltage drop down to the 12s while cruising after hours of driving).

HOWEVER, if I was to do this again, I'd get the only other option there are: Redarc. This is due to few of my friends not having good experience with Renogy products and their after-sales performance (which, honestly I've experienced as well and I considered swapping, but due to urgentness of my need to install this before my big trip I had to stay with Renogy because this is the only option in stock at the time). Redarc is about double the price, but it is the trusted brand for professionals and their after-sale department is great.

If you want to know more, have a read here: Boogielander Build – Part 10 – In-depth View of Electrical System for

And as usual, NEVER BUY CHEAP CHINESE PRODUCTS OR UNKNOWN BRANDED PRODUCTS.

What kind of battery issues are you having? Have you had your battery load tested, and have you had the "generator" voltage checked to see what it is giving the battery? I have no idea of the age/warranty status of your truck as its not in your signature.

Seems like you need to chase down your starting battery/charging issues first. Trying to band-aid them by using a solar panel isn't the best idea. Now if you are wanting to keep it charged while parked and not running for a week or more then yes, a panel (don't need 100 watts though) will do that.

Follow boggielander's advice for a separate battery charging system. He is using quality (not cheapo) components. There are many YT videos on what you are wanting to do but beware of all the brand ambassadors and such that push a particular product, whether good or not good quality.

Having solar while camping would suggest having a separate "house" battery (Lifepo4) which a 100+ watt panel could help recharge (though not very much, max 5 amps/hr and only during peak solar hours). A DC-DC charger is better for keeping a "house" battery charged up while driving.

I think a better answer is one of the newer chargers like Pecron makes. Much cheaper and more reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back