5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roof top ski rack recommendation?

Wxgs333

Reaction score
Anyone has a recommendation of a roof top crossbar for our DT truck? No-drill installation preferred...Thanks~

My rambox and Retrax MX combination prevents me to put my skis (longer than bed, so have to put in with an angle) in the bed along with other luggage while keeping the cover closed, so I am looking for mounting it to the roof top-- our trucks don't have roof rails, and most bare roof bars are not long enough to accommodate the width of the truck..from my quick Amazon search....

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Following. I would like to put surfboard/paddleboard racks on it eventaully. Any recommendations for the door jamb racks other than doing a blind Google search?

Reaction score
Following as well. All options I’ve seen for racks on the bed don’t work with Ram Boxes and I haven’t found anything for roof racks. Was hoping to setup some sort of outlander configuration for camping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RebelMike

Reaction score
I just recently installed the Yakima clamp on style towers and oval core bars. I carry my kayak on the roof when I am towing my camper. They were very easy to install, and are very sturdy/secure. Sorry I don't have better pictures at the moment, but here they are mounted on my Rebel.

29692 29693

WasatchBack

Reaction score
Not roofTOP, but that's the reason I went with this bed cover

Attachments

• IMG_20190629_152135.jpg
    IMG_20190629_152135.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 164

JHRebel

Reaction score
I just recently installed the Yakima clamp on style towers and oval core bars. I carry my kayak on the roof when I am towing my camper. They were very easy to install, and are very sturdy/secure. Sorry I don't have better pictures at the moment, but here they are mounted on my Rebel.

View attachment 29692 View attachment 29693
Sorry I know this is old, but if the OP is still here...how has this setup been for you and is it noisy? Thanks!

connelld

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2020 Laramie. Love it but need a rack to carry my canoes. Will follow for updates on options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Imp0ster

Reaction score
You'll hear it up there especially with a sunroof but I wouldn't call aero bars noisy. What they will do is destroy your paint and eventually create a leak point. I had them on my 300c and when we went to remove them to sell the car it had rubbed through the clear coat.

If you have RamBoxes like I do you're screwed with all conventional setups. The RamBoxes literally screw you out of so much cool stuff and I regret them a lot. I'm going with a backflip cover and Rhino camper aero bars mounted to them for my sup. I'll drill the tonneau using a bit the size of plugs so I can remove it if I decide to get the Nutzo rack which I want badly but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

techy11

Reaction score
Yakima HD Tower mounted Retrax Pro track. Use it for carrying my yak. Nice rack. Very sturdy. Solid enough for rack mounted fold out tent options and side bars/packs ir you really want to go crazy.

f3627a5aa2a97da1245e7eee4d9dbf24.jpg
354dfa13990a4ee2b7529302d97bfada.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DeDax

Reaction score
@ rebelmike, is yours a universal kit or Ram specific, i really like it?

techy11

Reaction score
The only part that was particular to my truck was the retrax cover compatible track mount. I can slide and reposition the the towers in the tracks, but so far have just left them where they are. Works great and locks in place.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yakima HD Tower mounted Retrax Pro track. Use it for carrying my yak. Nice rack. Very sturdy. Solid enough for rack mounted fold out tent options and side bars/packs ir you really want to go crazy.

Two questions; is the bar over the tail lights supposed to be switched around? The diagonal support is pointing towards your rear wheels, wouldn't it be the same direction as the front bar, pointing towards your hitch instead?

Second question; what is the likelihood of mounting a 12 foot kayak on top of that, without it hitting a travel trailer you may be pulling?

Trailer Swift

Reaction score

Love the Granite and black 👌🏼

I just installed a Retraxone MX and looking at the Yakima set up for my paddle and surfboards.

Users who are viewing this thread