5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roof Running Lights?

DakotaRam

Reaction score
No sunroof. It’s a truck driver friends truck. Holes were drilled and ordered the harness and lights for a 2500 and mocked up the same position as would go on the 2500. Spacing is that way cause the shark fin is up front on the 2500

Roddog2220

Reaction score
I installed a set of wireless cab lights on my brother in laws truck. Pricey but if you’re not looking to drill holes, only wireless option I am aware of.

there was a guy on here who put them on that said they were horrible, how did you guys like them? I have no problem drilling but hear you cant with the pano

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
there was a guy on here who put them on that said they were horrible, how did you guys like them? I have no problem drilling but hear you cant with the pano

Other than the lights occasionally coming out of sync, no real issues. Syncing them up is easy. What was the other guys complaints?

Roddog2220

Reaction score
Other than the lights occasionally coming out of sync, no real issues. Syncing them up is easy. What was the other guys complaints?

tks for feedback, i think he was disappointed they did not shine very long for what he paid for them, and the syncing issue, he got so frustrated he took them off, so is it fairly bright at night or are these mostly for looks, trying to decide between this and just throwing a light bar up there

Roddog2220

Reaction score
You’re going to get more output from a light bar. My brother in law wanted them mostly for strobing on job sites.

well yes im sure a light bar would blow it away for actual light but was also just thinking about long term durability, how long as he had them?

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
well yes im sure a light bar would blow it away for actual light but was also just thinking about long term durability, how long as he had them?

Little over a year. He parks outside so no issues with light as far as I’m aware. There’s not much to the lights, plastic caps and light modules so not much that can break. He didn’t want to drill the holes in his truck so this was a good option for him.

Atlantic Blue

Reaction score
, so is it fairly bright at night or are these mostly for looks, trying to decide between this and just throwing a light bar up there

These are Marker or clearance lights so they are NOT intended to shine bright light a light bar. The intent is to light up the top of the truck to make it more visible similiar to how side marker lights light the body sides of a vehicle to make it more visible.

You wouldnt use a lightbar for the same purpose. (Probably why nobody uses light bars as body side turn signals-lol). Marker/clearance lights are meant to be used on the public roads. I believe most light bars are off road use only.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
These are Marker or clearance lights so they are NOT intended to shine bright light a light bar. The intent is to light up the top of the truck to make it more visible similiar to how side marker lights light the body sides of a vehicle to make it more visible.

You wouldnt use a lightbar for the same purpose. (Probably why nobody uses light bars as body side turn signals-lol). Marker/clearance lights are meant to be used on the public roads. I believe most light bars are off road use only.
Some light bars now have a “clearance” light mode. And some mount inside the windshield, which could be nice to avoid drilling the roof. On these trucks, though, there’s a lot of gear above the rear view mirror that complicates things. Still looking for the ideal solution with a pano roof and all the safety goodies.

awpratt79

Reaction score
I like the clearance lights have a se of lights but not sure where to tap into the power on the 5th gen does anybody know where to connect the harness from the cab clearance lights. I know 4th Gen was under dash on passenger side is it still there??

Emaciated

Reaction score
I like the clearance lights have a se of lights but not sure where to tap into the power on the 5th gen does anybody know where to connect the harness from the cab clearance lights. I know 4th Gen was under dash on passenger side is it still there??
Did you ever do this install? I have a 5th gen but am thinking of using the Mopar 4th gen kit if it works

Users who are viewing this thread