5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roof racks? and a Rambox measurement question...

subkron

Reaction score
I wanted to throw the canoes on the truck while pulling a RV so 'T' racks are a no go. Basically my specs were for a stable (not just cam mounted rack only )canoe mount was that I did not want to use hitch, wanted Rambox access, want to be able to use my tonneau to keep gear protected and preferably easily removable when not used. You design checks off most of those, thanks.

Couchsachraga

Reaction score
I wanted to throw the canoes on the truck while pulling a RV so 'T' racks are a no go. Basically my specs were for a stable (not just cam mounted rack only )canoe mount was that I did not want to use hitch, wanted Rambox access, want to be able to use my tonneau to keep gear protected and preferably easily removable when not used. You design checks off most of those, thanks.
I had similar requirements (towing camper with canoe and other gear). I really like the expedition rack over the tonneau. Makes the truck even more useful. The Yakima racks do fine for a canoe up top with a crew cab, just secure the bow and stern too.

Rowingrick

Reaction score
I toss a canoe on the roof occasionally and am trying to figure out what options exist for the 2019 Ram (mine should be here in 10 days... next possible canoe trip with family in town is 12 days...). Are there points on the roof we can attach rack rail or brackets, or are the only options a bed mounted rack (a few for Rambox trucks), or the type the hooks in to the door opening?

Also... if someone happens to have a Rambox... that is the "rail" measurement (top of bed) before and after (bed just behind the cab to ram box lid, then after the lid to the end of the box) the ram box lid? I have an interesting idea for that space if it is big enough....

Thank you for any and all measurements /ideas!
I carry rowing shells on top of my truck. The single is 25' long and the double is 32' long. On the roof I have Yakima racks. With Yakima the bars can be spaced 40" (I stretched it to 42") while Thule is only good for 30". Specialized rowing shell carriers are attached to the Yakima racks. The Yakima roof racks are comprised of a set of (4) Baseline Towers (8000146), two pairs of Base Clip #135 (8006135), and two 70" Corebars (8000423). 60" Corebars are standard. The 70" bars will extend 5" past the top edge of the door when closed. I sometimes load up three and even four boats so the extra width is functional in my case. I just got the racks and have yet to add oar carriers which is why one pair of oars is in the back. When the oars are on the roof, I will be able to keep the tonneau cover down to protect boat riggers, bicycles, and other gear.

The boats were only being transported a few miles. For longer trips I attach a trailer tow light to the stern of the longest boat and plug it into the trailer plug outlet.

Boats on truck.jpg Yakima Roof Racks.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread