5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roof mounted Grab Handles

Ram1500DS

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to add Interior Grab Handles ? My Grand Cherokee had them. Does anyone know if there is a place to attach a grab handle. Thought I would ask before attempting to remove the head liner to have a look. Thanks!

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ditto.

Wife reached up and was like, "WTH?"

Ram1500DS

Reaction score
I removed the weather stripping and pulled the headliner down enough to have a look see. I found the curtain Air bag. Didn't feel/see anything that you could bolt on to. The air bag is the entire width of the window so I guess it makes sense why there are no handles there. Interestingly enough there is an air bag behind the A-pillar grab handle. Oh well the wife would have liked one. Lol Mystery solved!

Reactions: c3k

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I removed the weather stripping and pulled the headliner down enough to have a look see. I found the curtain Air bag. Didn't feel/see anything that you could bolt on to. The air bag is the entire width of the window so I guess it makes sense why there are no handles there. Interestingly enough there is an air bag behind the A-pillar grab handle. Oh well the wife would have liked one. Lol Mystery solved!
Maybe I'll just add a roof rack and then loop a length of knotted hemp down into the cabin. ;)

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yea, I looked over at my wife the other day grabbing at air with a wide eyed, paniced look on her face. I was shooting the gap between the slow poke in the left lane and the slightly slower poke in the second to left lane. I casually looked over as we were rapidly accelerating and asked "What are you grabbing at? Is there a fly up there?"

While I thought it was good, she really didn't think I was funny. She just said "Your damn snap together Jeep had "oh sht" handles everywhere. What's wrong with this truck? You just have that one way up there!" Pointing at the pillar grab.

In her defense, she is pretty small so it is well out of her reach. And I can be a lunatic sometimes...

rightushook

Reaction score
It is kinda of a let down. I did enjoy my other vehicles which had both. Not the end of the world though.

Reaction score
Yeah, ceiling air bags killed the roof grab handle on a lot of models. There should have been nationwide protests and riots in the street, according to my wife at least.

I'll bet there's a way for an aftermarket vendor to safely wedge something up into the door frame like they do with the trim mounted cell phone holders.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'll bet there's a way for an aftermarket vendor to safely wedge something up into the door frame like they do with the trim mounted cell phone holders.
Not sure I'd want to mount something in the path of any air bags. It could turn into a missile when the bag deploys. I'm also pretty sure that anything that anyone sells that would mount up there would require approval from some federal agency with a three or four letter acronym.

Users who are viewing this thread