5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roll Up vs Retractable Bed Cover

dgreen1069

Reaction score
I decided to buy my dad's 2019 Ram Laramie Longhorn that he decided isn't for him. It will be my first pickup truck (not counting the F150 I bought for my son). I am 100% certain I want a bed cover, but I don't know which direction to go. I want something that offers more security than a fabric cover so I can leave stuff in the bed while traveling.

I think I want a roll up cover or possibly a retractable cover. Are there any pros and cons for each? Doing a site or google search led to information overload so I figured I'd start my own thread. My requirements are pretty simple:
1: Cover must offer security and decent weather protection
2: Cover cannot rattle!!!
3: Cover definitely cannot rattle!!!!

Danny_TheHouseCook

Reaction score
My 2 cents. It seems every hard cover I've seen, roll-up and retractable, ends up with scrape marks across the top. This is caused by the cover itself from rolling/retracting. This is the reason I never went with one of those type covers. I know you're looking for security as well. I currently live in a not so high crime area. I've had soft tonneau covers on my last two trucks and intend to put another on my new truck due to arrive this week. Your tailgate locks so the only way in (if you're a burglar) is with a knife. I've never had a problem. The stuff you put in the bed is not seen and is also protected from the weather. None of my tonneau covers leaked and if they did it was just a dribble on a folding hinge or front corner. That dribble never affected anything. Okay, I'm done with my 2 cents. Have a great day! SIDE BAR NOTE: Soft covers are very easy to remove for large objects you may want to put in the bed and can be stowed along side the large object when transporting it. (Just in case you buy something BIG on a whim :giggle:

dgreen1069

Reaction score
My 2 cents. It seems every hard cover I've seen, roll-up and retractable, ends up with scrape marks across the top. This is caused by the cover itself from rolling/retracting. This is the reason I never went with one of those type covers.

The covers I'm looking at have a leather looking cover over the top. Underneath are metal slats which provide the security. I was thinking something like this for all the reasons you cited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I get the need for security, and my soft roll up cover definitely doesn't provide much of that. In addition to being able to cut through the cover, you can also just pull up the velcro on the sides enough to reach in and unlatch the cover if you know how the mechanism works. Definitely not secure. But thankfully I live and work in an area where security isn't really a problem, and park in a garage at home. My biggest issue with any "hard" cover is the large bulky mass that sits at the front of the truck bed when the cover is in the fully open position. My Truxedo LoPro cover sits nice and low when it's opened. The Bak Revolver X2 is probably the least offensive to me regarding that, but it's still pretty bulky when it's open. I'd definitely look into those if I needed more security in a cover. It's also nice that it won't get scratched up on the outside.

derp

Reaction score
The covers I'm looking at have a leather looking cover over the top. Underneath are metal slats which provide the security. I was thinking something like this for all the reasons you cited:
I have the Roll-N-Lock vinyl topped over aluminum slats. I like it. it locks, it Rolls, and it hasn't scraped on the top yet. I hope that the vinyl resists the tiny scratches better than a anodized aluminum exposed to the environment.

It doesn't rattle.
It is dry every time I have checked (florida rain "resistant"), and has drain tubes for anything that would come in via the retraction mechanism to drain off without dumping into the bed itself.
It doesn't rattle.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Maconi

Reaction score
My 2 cents. It seems every hard cover I've seen, roll-up and retractable, ends up with scrape marks across the top. This is caused by the cover itself from rolling/retracting. This is the reason I never went with one of those type covers.

The Lomax with the black urethane (bed spray-in liner stuff) shouldn't have that problem. That's what I currently have and it's been great so far.

maxresdefault.jpg

I thought about getting something like a Gator Trax (similar to the Roll-N-Lock) but I didn't want to lose a foot of bedspace to it. The lomax can be completely removed if I need the whole bed.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The Lomax with the black urethane (bed spray-in liner stuff) shouldn't have that problem. That's what I currently have and it's been great so far.

maxresdefault.jpg

I thought about getting something like a Gator Trax (similar to the Roll-N-Lock) but I didn't want to lose a foot of bedspace to it. The lomax can be completely removed if I need the whole bed.
The Lomax is a great cover. I wish they would come out with some form of brackets to mount along and above one of the bed rails. I don't think it would be that difficult if you have the bed rails installed. I measured the interior rear seat and it appears the Lomax would fit as is 62+ a hair. The rear has 63" between doors about 5" above the floor and adjacent to the back of the front seats. It can be done from what I understand but it appears it can be a challenge.

dgreen1069

Reaction score
Well, after countless hours of reading and going back and forth on a bunch of different styles of bed covers, I settled on a Undercover Ultraflex flip style cover. I liked the retractable covers for their functionality, but they are more than double the cost of a decent flip cover. Undercover has a $100 rebate good through today and I got a great discounted price from Truck Alterations by giving them a call and mentioning the forum. Hopefully it works out well.

Reaction score
Well, after countless hours of reading and going back and forth on a bunch of different styles of bed covers, I settled on a Undercover Ultraflex flip style cover. I liked the retractable covers for their functionality, but they are more than double the cost of a decent flip cover. Undercover has a $100 rebate good through today and I got a great discounted price from Truck Alterations by giving them a call and mentioning the forum. Hopefully it works out well.
I have only ever had tri fold/quad fold type covers and they are very solid, mostly waterproof, and still have versatility. I got the Mopar one from the dealer for my new truck and they seem to all be constructed the same.

D.Rock

Reaction score

maxresdefault.jpg

Do you have any pictures of your Lomax cover? Having a hard time findIng real pictures of their Black Urethane finish.

Maconi

Reaction score
Do you have any pictures of your Lomax cover? Having a hard time findIng real pictures of their Black Urethane finish.

I don't but I'll try to take some this weekend. For some reason there are zero pictures of it on the internet (other than the photo I posted and 1 random photo I found on their Facebook which they made around Christmas time) so I know how you feel lol.

Maconi

Reaction score

Sorry it took so long (things are crazy with the virus and what not). Here are some pictures:

20200323_152202.jpg
20200323_152211.jpg
20200323_152147.jpg

Reaction score
How's that Lomax holding up after 8+ months of use? Any leaks?
I just purchased the matte one from truck alterations and looking forward to installing it.

Maconi

Reaction score
How's that Lomax holding up after 8+ months of use? Any leaks?
I just purchased the matte one from truck alterations and looking forward to installing it.
Still works great. You'll get some water through the tailgate if you don't have one of those tailgate gaskets installed but that's the tailgate's fault, not the Lomax.

Users who are viewing this thread