5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rodent Eating 2022 Bighorn Coolant Line..

woodunder

Reaction score
I've had the truck, brand new, for a year and change, no problems outside some cosmetic and quality control issues. Starting in January of this year, my coolant line started leaking while driving one afternoon; come to find out rats or mice or squirrels chewed into the coolant line right at the firewall (pic). No nests or anything. I live in FL, hasnt been crazy cold either. Got the line replaced at dealer (part #68268582AD) and coolant replaced; was fine for about a month. Started spraying engine bay and wheel wells with peppermint oil to keep the buggers away once I got it back, and parking away from area of first occurrence. Note, this happened to 3 neighbors cars as well, but they had wire harness damage from rodent(s).

This has now happened to me again as of last Friday, engine started overheating as I was coming home, just made it to parking spot as engine overheating warnings started flashing. This morning I just had the truck towed again for the second time to my mechanic (first time was to dealer, but not working with them ever again, that's a whole other story).

im wondering if anyone else has encountered something similar? Both instances they have chewed right at where the lines run into the firewall. Not sure if this part/line is made of soy fibers, or if the rodents just like the syrupy smell of the coolant or what. If there was any coolant residue from the first instance, am wondering if that still attracted rodents after it was fixed the first time, if it leaked into firewall, etc.

I'm at my wits end, and out about $1k after insurance, repairing this twice. I bought an electronic rodent deterrent to install after it's fixed the second time, but still fear something else might be occurring, possibly the barb nozzle in which the lines attach to with a clamp have a small crack, or a leak in the firewall that's attracting rodents...

Pest control has put traps around the area of my neighborhood, but no surrounding cars near my truck have had this issue (other than the previously mentioned neighbors, who happened to just move). Maybe the rodent just isn't a RAM fan, idk. Also, this never happened with my 2007 Titan I previously owned.

Appreciate any thoughts or ideas anyone might have, or tips if anyone else has encountered such a thing before. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20240127_092001.jpg
    IMG_20240127_092001.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20240309_042551513.jpg
    PXL_20240309_042551513.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 54

frisby5

Reaction score
Have you thought about protecting that area where they are chewing at ? Might fabricate something around it that they cant chew through. Just a thought

jonnygobig

Reaction score
I've had the truck, brand new, for a year and change, no problems outside some cosmetic and quality control issues. Starting in January of this year, my coolant line started leaking while driving one afternoon; come to find out rats or mice or squirrels chewed into the coolant line right at the firewall (pic). No nests or anything. I live in FL, hasnt been crazy cold either. Got the line replaced at dealer (part #68268582AD) and coolant replaced; was fine for about a month. Started spraying engine bay and wheel wells with peppermint oil to keep the buggers away once I got it back, and parking away from area of first occurrence. Note, this happened to 3 neighbors cars as well, but they had wire harness damage from rodent(s).

This has now happened to me again as of last Friday, engine started overheating as I was coming home, just made it to parking spot as engine overheating warnings started flashing. This morning I just had the truck towed again for the second time to my mechanic (first time was to dealer, but not working with them ever again, that's a whole other story).

im wondering if anyone else has encountered something similar? Both instances they have chewed right at where the lines run into the firewall. Not sure if this part/line is made of soy fibers, or if the rodents just like the syrupy smell of the coolant or what. If there was any coolant residue from the first instance, am wondering if that still attracted rodents after it was fixed the first time, if it leaked into firewall, etc.

I'm at my wits end, and out about $1k after insurance, repairing this twice. I bought an electronic rodent deterrent to install after it's fixed the second time, but still fear something else might be occurring, possibly the barb nozzle in which the lines attach to with a clamp have a small crack, or a leak in the firewall that's attracting rodents...

Pest control has put traps around the area of my neighborhood, but no surrounding cars near my truck have had this issue (other than the previously mentioned neighbors, who happened to just move). Maybe the rodent just isn't a RAM fan, idk. Also, this never happened with my 2007 Titan I previously owned.

Appreciate any thoughts or ideas anyone might have, or tips if anyone else has encountered such a thing before. Thank you in advance!
Geez, they like the sweet smell I think. Metallic or copper wrap..but best case I’d go keep them away entirely. We have 3 cats, Willy, Waylon and Dolly and a dog named Cash. They make a huge pile of dead rodents every season.

If you don’t have a cat, find some one who does and get some old litter, to keep near the truck, even if it is in a can, it may not smell to you but it keeps them away,especially if it is that pine stuff.

1710221399865.jpeg

jkm312

Reaction score
In older houses sometimes the line between the foundation and sill plate wasn't very tight. It allowed mice to get in the winter. I stuffed the gaps with course steel wool from the outside and then foamed from the inside. They won't chew on the steel wool. Maybe you can wrap the hose in steel wool and zip tie it in place, in the one spot next to the firewall. I can understand your frustration. I've had to rewire a boat trailer for the same reason, they chew thru the wires.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Peppermint oil will fix all your woes, no rodent will come near your engine bay. You can mix a spray bottle of tap water, then put about 20-40 drops of peppermint oil and a couple of drops of dish soap, mix well and spray liberally around your engine bay.

The stuff smells great, but just the smell of it will prevent them from even coming close, much less getting in and chewing something. Make sure to buy real peppermint oil, not a fake peppermint smell. Walmart sells a bottle for like $7, will last you a long time.

Also, don't put the oil directly on plastic as it can stain, but a spray dilution will not damage anything. I would respray every couple of months or so.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread