5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rodent damage

ChaceZuniga

Reaction score
Oh man, rodents can be such a headache! It's disgusting to find them making themselves at home in your engine compartment. I've had my fair share of encounters with mice and rats, and they can cause a ton of damage. Cleaning up after them and using dryer sheets and peppermint oil seemed like a good idea, but finding a nest right on top of them must have been a bummer. It's good that you're keeping a close eye on your engine compartment and air box to catch any potential issues. If things get out of hand, you might want to consider reaching out to a pest control service. They have the expertise to deal with rodent problems effectively.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Luckily I went to check the engine oil level today and noticed a big rat turd right on top of the battery. I inspected the engine bay for any damage, didn't find anything chewed up. Double checked the interior, including both glove boxes and checked the cabin air filter, no signs of rodents.

Since the battery insulation and hood insulation had no damage, I suspect this rat may have just been snooping around, especially since we do have a few cats patrolling the area. I will likely do the peppermint oil in the engine bay tip to stave off any long term nesting for the future.

6of36

Reaction score
Luckily I went to check the engine oil level today and noticed a big rat turd right on top of the battery. I inspected the engine bay for any damage, didn't find anything chewed up. Double checked the interior, including both glove boxes and checked the cabin air filter, no signs of rodents.

Since the battery insulation and hood insulation had no damage, I suspect this rat may have just been snooping around, especially since we do have a few cats patrolling the area. I will likely do the peppermint oil in the engine bay tip to stave off any long term nesting for the future.
Make sure to use peppermint oil, and not peppermint extract. Not everyone knows, there is a difference.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Make sure to use peppermint oil, and not peppermint extract. Not everyone knows, there is a difference.

Absolutely, I going to use the medicine bottle tip along with the peppermint oil, water & soap spray.

I got some nice all-black pill bottles (better looking than old pill bottles in my engine bay) with some venting holes drilled into them, filled with cotton balls soaked with peppermint oil. I'll velcro a couple of them in the engine bay so they slowly constantly give off peppermint, re-charge every few weeks.

The spray I'll do directly to all the wires and around the engine bay as well, but the bottles will last a lot longer before needing re-application.

jman307

Reaction score
I have been actively putting a camera under my hood every night to see if the rat was still around and sure enough it was... i sprayed peppermint essential oil diluted with water all around under the hood and that night, it climbed up the transmission onto the back of the intake, he must have walked through the crap i sprayed, and started cleaning it self then took off. Haven seen it in a few days now.
I just found damage underneath my intake manifold due to rodents. Had a small pile of shredded from under the front of my truck, popped the hood and found a lot more around the front upper ending on both sides where they had chewed up the foam between the manifold and engine block. Unfortunately they damaged wring that goes to the MDS solenoid mounted in there and now the dealer is quoting around $1000 for repairs. I got the peppermint oil and am trying this method while i debate on whether or not I want to shell out the money for MDS functional to work again and also get rid of the check engine light. Sucks

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I just found damage underneath my intake manifold due to rodents. Had a small pile of shredded from under the front of my truck, popped the hood and found a lot more around the front upper ending on both sides where they had chewed up the foam between the manifold and engine block. Unfortunately they damaged wring that goes to the MDS solenoid mounted in there and now the dealer is quoting around $1000 for repairs. I got the peppermint oil and am trying this method while i debate on whether or not I want to shell out the money for MDS functional to work again and also get rid of the check engine light. Sucks

Sorry to hear that man. Have you checked with an independent shop to do those repairs, likely quite a bit cheaper. Peppermint oil absolutely works, if you use the bottle method, the oil last for a few months actually, not weeks. I haven't seen any rodents or their droppings since I've been doing it. The spray method should work well, either way make sure to buy real peppermint oil, they sell it at Walmart and Amazon.

jman307

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that man. Have you checked with an independent shop to do those repairs, likely quite a bit cheaper. Peppermint oil absolutely works, if you use the bottle method, the oil last for a few months actually, not weeks. I haven't seen any rodents or their droppings since I've been doing it. The spray method should work well, either way make sure to buy real peppermint oil, they sell it at Walmart and Amazon.
I am looking at independent shops and also maybe doing it myself. I already went out and got real peppermint oil and put some in the engine bay. Can you elaborate on the spray method please? Also, any negative affects spraying electrical or just stick with plastics and metal areas? Thanks!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am looking at independent shops and also maybe doing it myself. I already went out and got real peppermint oil and put some in the engine bay. Can you elaborate on the spray method please? Also, any negative affects spraying electrical or just stick with plastics and metal areas? Thanks!
They don't like the smell. It doesn't need to be sprayed on exactly what they are going to touch.
I have seen rabbits go with 5 feet from it stop, then turn away and leave.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

Sure, you get an old spray bottle and fill with water, add about 20-40 drops of the oil and a couple of drops of dish soap (keeps it diluted). Shake well and spray.

You don't want to put the oil undiluted on plastic as it may stain it. The oil in water dilution is no issue for plastics or electronics, just avoid doing any pressure spray directly in the middle of a connector for example, but misting the whole engine is no issue.

Here is an example of setting up the spray bottle:

Here is what I use as well, it last a lot longer. I use nicer looking black bottle and use Velcro to attach to engine bay instead of string, but you get the idea:

Last edited:

jman307

Reaction score
Sure, you get an old spray bottle and fill with water, add about 20-40 drops of the oil and a couple of drops of dish soap (keeps it diluted). Shake well and spray.

You don't want to put the oil undiluted on plastic as it may stain it. The oil in water dilution is no issue for plastics or electronics, just avoid doing any pressure spray directly in the middle of a connector for example, but misting the whole engine is no issue.

Here is an example of setting up the spray bottle:

Here is what I use as well, it last a lot longer. I use nicer looking black bottle and use Velcro to attach to engine bay instead of string, but you get the idea:

Appreciate it thank you🤙

6of36

Reaction score
Just put the peppermint oil on a cotton ball. Put it someplace it won't blow off. Change it every month.

bakerb95619

Reaction score
Just put the peppermint oil on a cotton ball. Put it someplace it won't blow off. Change it every month.
Thanks for the peppermint oil suggestion everyone (haven't tried it yet). I actually had gravel from my driveway covering the entire bottom of my air cleaner housing, along with a nice nest right in the center made from pieces of my battery's insulated cover. Based on the size of some of the gravel pieces, this was either a big mouse or a large rat.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the peppermint oil suggestion everyone (haven't tried it yet). I actually had gravel from my driveway covering the entire bottom of my air cleaner housing, along with a nice nest right in the center made from pieces of my battery's insulated cover. Based on the size of some of the gravel pieces, this was either a big mouse or a large rat.
Sounds like a pack rat.

KrustyKush

Reaction score
There must be something about the battery blanket that the rats are attracted to. I recently found chewing signs in my garage, around the garage door gasket, and at the bottom of a loose fitting door frame. Once I saw a rat turd, I knew what had happened, and opened my hood. Battery blanket chewed up and a nice little bed made.

Pretty sure, he did no other damage. I think he got in during a three day cold rain storm while the truck was parked outside in the driveway. He was probably sitting there when I next cranked the truck and used it all day. Still sitting there when I parked it inside the garage. Later, he got down and tried to get OUT of the garage, and had a problem. He had to chew and chew on a door frame to make a hole big enough for his nasty rat behind to get through.

I'm wondering if maybe the battery blanket is so attractive to the rat, he goes there first and makes his bed. That actually seems to me to be a good quality of the blanket material. Maybe makes it less likely the rat will go to the firewall insulation. I had a rat chew up the firewall insulation on a previous car. Pretty much impossible on that car to replace it without removing the engine.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
There must be something about the battery blanket that the rats are attracted to. I recently found chewing signs in my garage, around the garage door gasket, and at the bottom of a loose fitting door frame. Once I saw a rat turd, I knew what had happened, and opened my hood. Battery blanket chewed up and a nice little bed made.

Pretty sure, he did no other damage. I think he got in during a three day cold rain storm while the truck was parked outside in the driveway. He was probably sitting there when I next cranked the truck and used it all day. Still sitting there when I parked it inside the garage. Later, he got down and tried to get OUT of the garage, and had a problem. He had to chew and chew on a door frame to make a hole big enough for his nasty rat behind to get through.

I'm wondering if maybe the battery blanket is so attractive to the rat, he goes there first and makes his bed. That actually seems to me to be a good quality of the blanket material. Maybe makes it less likely the rat will go to the firewall insulation. I had a rat chew up the firewall insulation on a previous car. Pretty much impossible on that car to replace it without removing the engine.
They say rats are attracted to the battery due to the water in it. They stay for the nesting materials.

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
I always expected rodent damage sooner or later (we tow/camp a lot) but this week it was a cat. Opened garage and had fur all over truck, crap on the concrete and several urine stains around garage. No cat found dead or alive. Realized that garage had last/only been opened by other half 3 days after I returned from having 2 exhaust manifolds replaced (a week ago) so cat must’ve hitched a ride from the dealership’s service area and bolted when the door was opened. Can’t wait to mop a garage this weekend…

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Create a simple Peppermint releasing device and put it in areas where rats or mice go, they won't go near it. Also a lot of insects like ****roaches (lol, it censors this, haha) also avoid peppermint.

Get an old pill bottle, drill a few holes, stuff it with cotton balls that you put peppermint oil on, and it will stay active for months. I recharge mine with fresh oil drops about every 3 months and it's still strong even after all that time. I can probably go 4-5 months between recharges.

Just note that cats also hate the smell and will avoid it as well.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
I use lots of moth balls placed in cool whip containers with holes in them and dollar general dryer sheets in the green box in my bass boat for winter storage.
seems to work good.

Users who are viewing this thread