5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rodent damage

bratesrule

Reaction score
I'm in central coast California. Probably the most mediocre weather in the wold. But them rodents love the battery blankets. Heads up Mopar, they like the blankets. Maybe start using welding blankets. But if you do, please pay me for the idea.
And give me a new battery blanket...

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had very good luck with dryer sheets (Bounce works best) placed under the battery cover and spray the engine compartment with the following:

bratesrule

Reaction score
I have been actively putting a camera under my hood every night to see if the rat was still around and sure enough it was... i sprayed peppermint essential oil diluted with water all around under the hood and that night, it climbed up the transmission onto the back of the intake, he must have walked through the crap i sprayed, and started cleaning it self then took off. Haven seen it in a few days now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211001-094824_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211001-094824_Gallery.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 82

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been actively putting a camera under my hood every night to see if the rat was still around and sure enough it was... i sprayed peppermint essential oil diluted with water all around under the hood and that night, it climbed up the transmission onto the back of the intake, he must have walked through the crap i sprayed, and started cleaning it self then took off. Haven seen it in a few days now.
Look at that cute booger.. haha

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would put a snake in the air intake
Then you'll need to put a mongoose in to take care of the snake. Where does it end? Like the nursery rhyme about the old lady who swallowed the fly. :ROFLMAO:

Just put a couple traps in the engine bay and be done with it. Peanut butter works great as bait.

sessman

Reaction score
I discovered this issue yesterday. Battery blanket chewed up, dog food on it, droppings all around the battery. I took the battery blanket off. Does it serve any purpose? Do I need to replace it? Appreciate the help...

Grimgreg

Reaction score
Our house has never seen a mouse - ever. However, my wife's old 2003 Honda Pilot had a mouse. She and our daughter would eat food in there (not a big problem) but would leave crumbs and french fries all over the place. Then the mouse came. They named it. I left it to them to figure out a solution...

My wife leased a BMW - that was her solution. That car has not seen one morsel of food to her credit. No mouse problems either.

Mice go everywhere but generally stay near food and bedding sources. Eliminate those and you're slightly ahead of the rat race.
Gotta really watch those Hondas, they used a soy based plastic on the wiring that rodents love to munch on.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The screaming wife hurts my ears, that's what's wrong with them. I don't mind them unless they have a buzzer, and crawl out from under the dash while I'm driving.
Show your wife this pic I took:

BellaMuse.jpg

Bella the Snake was 20 feet long and weighed in at 300 Pounds.

Malodave

sessman

Reaction score
I discovered this issue yesterday. Battery blanket chewed up, dog food on it, droppings all around the battery. I took the battery blanket off. Does it serve any purpose? Do I need to replace it? Appreciate the help...
Anyone know if that battery carpet serves a purpose?

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I replaced the battery in my wife's car the other night, in the dark with a flashlight, and forgot to reinstall the battery blanket. After the battery installation I noticed i had forgotten the blanket, it was sitting on the top of the engine. That when I started wondering if it was important enough to re-install. I decided why not take the time, just a couple minutes, to put it back in. I don't if it's needed but it was there and was sure it wouldn't hurt.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Keeps the battery clean and might help a little absorbing heat vs getting to the battery.

Old cars just put a plastic cover around the battery, old cheap cars just had a battery hanging around mounted securely.

If you are worried or have mice just get rid of it. My Wifes Acadia had that carpet crap all over the top of her engine under the beauty cover, I think it was to dampen noise, or attract rodents. I have since removed it and I don't have mice problems in hers anymore.
My battery cover was nibbled ONCE, and they never came back. I keep my air suspension all the way up and have retracted power running boards and I like to think that makes it harder\annoying for them to climb in.

Users who are viewing this thread