5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rodent damage

jevc

Reaction score
I have rodents infiltrating my engine compartment. Last winter I found mouse droppings and chewing on the battery blanket of my 2020 ram. I cleaned it up and then put dryer sheets and peppermint oil around the battery. I thought it was working. Then I found where a rodent had given birth right on the dryer sheets. You can zoom in on the picture and see the petrified little buggers. So much for that theory. After snooping around thankfully I find no damage to any wires or hoses. I did find a nest in the air filter box. Ive removed the battery blanket as for some reason they really like that cheap *** material for bedding and I'm keeping an eye on the engine compartment and air box. This truck is parked inside every day. Might want check those air boxes!

Attachments

• IMG_4487.jpg
    IMG_4487.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_4486.jpg
    IMG_4486.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_4489.jpg
    IMG_4489.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 310

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, I know what I will be checking later this afternoon.

JbVt

Reaction score
Just swapped my air filter to an AEM a couple weeks ago. Glad I didn’t find this. I did have one instance though last fall with a mouse chewing up my battery blanket. I got him rather quickly and haven’t seen any others or any more sign of them.

highgear2005

Reaction score
The mice liked my battery blanket as well, a well stocked de con trap. Took care of my issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nibis

Reaction score
You need to remove your food source, looks like dog food, so it needs to be sealed up somehow that the mice can't get to it, and you need to put out decon or bait blocks

Quint

Reaction score
Our house has never seen a mouse - ever. However, my wife's old 2003 Honda Pilot had a mouse. She and our daughter would eat food in there (not a big problem) but would leave crumbs and french fries all over the place. Then the mouse came. They named it. I left it to them to figure out a solution...

My wife leased a BMW - that was her solution. That car has not seen one morsel of food to her credit. No mouse problems either.

Mice go everywhere but generally stay near food and bedding sources. Eliminate those and you're slightly ahead of the rat race.

hoodac78

Reaction score
I have rodents infiltrating my engine compartment. Last winter I found mouse droppings and chewing on the battery blanket of my 2020 ram. I cleaned it up and then put dryer sheets and peppermint oil around the battery. I thought it was working. Then I found where a rodent had given birth right on the dryer sheets. You can zoom in on the picture and see the petrified little buggers. So much for that theory. After snooping around thankfully I find no damage to any wires or hoses. I did find a nest in the air filter box. Ive removed the battery blanket as for some reason they really like that cheap *** material for bedding and I'm keeping an eye on the engine compartment and air box. This truck is parked inside every day. Might want check those air boxes!
Geezus Murphy......of all the things that go wrong with these vehicles sometimes, you have to deal with this one too!?? I would have never thought that this would be a problem....I've never dealt with it here and I don't know of anyone who has either. Sure, mice get into farm vehicles, but usually those vehicles have been pushed onto the edge of a pasture and have been sitting outside for years. Crazy.

SpookyWatcher

Reaction score
The bait stations and poison you can buy at local lowes / homedepot did not help with my problem. In fact whenever I found their nests...they were using the bait as after dinner treats. It wasn't until I had a local pest co come out and put there baits out that the problem went away.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The bait stations and poison you can buy at local lowes / homedepot did not help with my problem. In fact whenever I found their nests...they were using the bait as after dinner treats. It wasn't until I had a local pest co come out and put there baits out that the problem went away.

That's why I bought the pro stuff in the links, not one single mouse/rat around my house since. Benefit is that you remove the rodents, you also remove the snakes.

jevc

Reaction score
Yes. That is dog food in the air box. I’m not sure how the rodents got to it. The dog food is in sealed buckets. But apparently they have a source. Where is that link for industrial rodent poison? The bait boxes I use apparently aren’t working. I just posted this to alert people to maybe check the air box. It’s a perfect place for them. Another trick I learned is when I have to park outside for night I leave the hood open so they don’t have a dark, warm place to nest. Trick I learned from an old farmer

ClinchMountainRam

Reaction score
On a couple of occasions I've had mice meet their end when they tried to take up residence in the fan blower housing of my 2006 Big Horn. Not a good choice.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

bratesrule

Reaction score
In my 21 ram, went to head to work today, truck felt a little funny running as i was driving out my driveway. Took off down the street and noticed it was misfiring, check engine was flashing at me... i got less then 5k on it... brought it back home and took the beater to work. I started investigating after work and ran codes. Misfire on cyl 7 and some other random codes... then i see the battery blanket.... whats the solution? Remove the battery blanket before it happens?

By the way, i didn't find any wiring damage yet... and the miss freaking magically disappeared...

Attachments

• 20210924_180250.jpg
    20210924_180250.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 113

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Holy smokes going to check my battery blanket tomorrow. I live out in the country and I see tons of field mice running around.

CanRebel

Reaction score
If you live anywhere cold. That is common problem. Doesn't matter if you live in the city or country.
As person mentioned above about the food. In the winter, it's about staying warm. Hybrid and EV car/trucks are worse.
Could be worse, it could be rats.

bratesrule

Reaction score
I'm in central coast California. Probably the most mediocre weather in the wold. But them rodents love the battery blankets. Heads up Mopar, they like the blankets. Maybe start using welding blankets. But if you do, please pay me for the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread