5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rocks/Gravel in Tailgate

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I made a trip to the local gravel place and got a load of gravel. I didn't give it any thought at the time, but after unloading I realized that lots of rocks and debris are now stuck inside the hollow area of the tailgate. Is there any way to get that stuff out of there? Every time I close the tailgate it sounds terrible...

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I made a trip to the local gravel place and got a load of gravel. I didn't give it any thought at the time, but after unloading I realized that lots of rocks and debris are now stuck inside the hollow area of the tailgate. Is there any way to get that stuff out of there? Every time I close the tailgate it sounds terrible...

Probably got into the open holes in the bottom of the tailgate. Read the owners manual to remove your tailgate. Then just tilt it side to side to let the rocks fall out the same holes. Either that or whip the tail end from side to side driving like the Dukes of Hazard and let the centripetal force do the same. Your call.

Troubadour

Reaction score
Bringing up a year old thread, has anyone since figured out how to remove gravel from inside the tailgate?
I removed the tailgate cover and discovered several structural baffles preventing me from reaching in and removing said gravel.
D05C11BE-985C-4439-BEE9-21AB2B804CBF.jpeg 69405087-2D54-425F-8BFB-5C6474FDDBDB.jpeg A210488C-F82A-49C6-BB7E-1D8E433F21D9.jpeg

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

ImEngineer

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread in case it helps anyone in the future: It is also quite easy remove the tailgate with two people, then shake it back and forth to get the gravel to fall out. There are many videos showing how to remove the tailgate.

Here's a solution to keep debris from building up in the tailgate in the future:

Users who are viewing this thread