5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rocker Panel nuts

teedup324

Reaction score
I bought running boards for my 2023 1500 and the nuts that came with them (5/16") will thread on the top bolt but not on the bottom ones. It doesn't look like there is overspray and I tried a steel brush but it didn't help and I'm afraid to force them on and strip something out. See pic below and you can see the diff in the bolts. I have a tap and die but I don't think the thread count is correct b/c the 5/16" won't fit. It seems to be a 20 but I'm not sure. I think the bolts are M8-1.25. Anyone run into this before? Any suggestions?

IMG_2094.jpeg

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I bought running boards for my 2023 1500 and the nuts that came with them (5/16") will thread on the top bolt but not on the bottom ones. It doesn't look like there is overspray and I tried a steel brush but it didn't help and I'm afraid to force them on and strip something out. See pic below and you can see the diff in the bolts. I have a tap and die but I don't think the thread count is correct b/c the 5/16" won't fit. It seems to be a 20 but I'm not sure. I think the bolts are M8-1.25. Anyone run into this before? Any suggestions?

View attachment 174551

Looks like paint, most wire brushes aren't strong enough to strip them by hand, the die works great, below is the link of the one you need. Make sure to thread it by hand first, once it's straight, use socket wrench to screw down all the way and then remove. Once you do that, those OEM board nuts will screw on with a finger. Once you clean the threads and screw on the running board, the torque setting is 15 lbs-ft, use some blue thread locker as well.

The die needed is 8-1 25mm, here is the once I purchased just for this task: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015UXIOE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit - Notice you may have two different bolt patterns on your truck? Not sure, mine were the same top and bottom, please double check before you try to screw them on.

DeanM2

Reaction score
Had the same problem when I put on running boards. It is just a protective finish on the bolts to keep then from rusting. Don't retap then as you will remove the protection. Just use a bigger wrench and tighten then down.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Had the same problem when I put on running boards. It is just a protective finish on the bolts to keep then from rusting. Don't retap then as you will remove the protection. Just use a bigger wrench and tighten then down.

You could risk over torqueing them if you do that, the torque spec is only 15 lbs-ft. Most installation instructions recommend cleaning the threads for that reason.

The die is the best method as it only cleans off the excess paint. Mine have been like that for 4 years, zero rust when I removed them recently.

teedup324

Reaction score
Looks like paint, most wire brushes aren't strong enough to strip them by hand, the die works great, below is the link of the one you need. Make sure to thread it by hand first, once it's straight, use socket wrench to screw down all the way and then remove. Once you do that, those OEM board nuts will screw on with a finger. Once you clean the threads and screw on the running board, the torque setting is 15 lbs-ft, use some blue thread locker as well.

The die needed is 8-1 25mm, here is the once I purchased just for this task: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015UXIOE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit - Notice you may have two different bolt patterns on your truck? Not sure, mine were the same top and bottom, please double check before you try to screw them on.
And how would I do that?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
And how would I do that?

I looked at your pic more closely, they seem to be similar to mine on my 2019. I suspect the reason why your nuts don't fit on the lower bolts is there is just too much paint on them.

I would buy the die link I posted and try to clean them up, those nuts should screw on properly then, unless they aren't OEM?

You have a picture of the nuts you are using?

teedup324

Reaction score
I looked at your pic more closely, they seem to be similar to mine on my 2019. I suspect the reason why your nuts don't fit on the lower bolts is there is just too much paint on them.

I would buy the die link I posted and try to clean them up, those nuts should screw on properly then, unless they aren't OEM?

You have a picture of the nuts you are using? IMG_2096.jpeg IMG_2095.jpeg

Jako

Reaction score
My own experience was a little wire wheel worked best for the paint removal. Some of the studs had an inordinate amount of paint and the thread chaser was not doing it's job.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Grinder + wire wheel… don’t be a caveman.. use power tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Those don't look like the nuts that came with my running board, they were flanged out on one end. Before you do anything, make sure you have the correct thread nuts. As you mentioned, I believe M8x1.25. You will still need to clean the threads even with the correct ones.

Check out this ad for OEM running boards, on the bottom pic is what my hardware looked like: https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-2019-2020-Matte-Running-Boards/dp/B082VHYS4F

Nuts.jpg

Last edited:

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, I got them installed.

View attachment 175154 View attachment 175152
Looks good brother! Are those the Go Rhino RB10’s? Slim or Regular? If they are, are they adjustable at all? I like the look of them but hate the gap between the step and pinch weld. I’m looking for something that hugs tight. Do you have any pics of how tight they are to the pinch weld? Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread