5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rock sliders installed

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Instructions were lacking in some important details. But my son and I got the job done. I’d say this was more of a pain than the hidden winch mount install (which was pretty straight forward).

Added some grip tape for when they are used as steps.

300 pounds of protection:

49C35685-EEC6-43D2-B14D-5C632B59081C.jpeg
34D96929-0FF5-43D7-8EC5-7B0FC33BC902.jpeg
3F7CCF35-B805-4A42-8BDC-C0255D0E17D2.jpeg
2B07D9FA-DBAB-4FE4-AEC7-1329290A445A.jpeg

Last edited:

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your truck is really coming along as a serious off-road rig. Great choice of mods. Did you have to paint the sliders yourself or was that for grip?

R

Rob5589

Nice. That little bit of tail by the bed looks like it could bend. But you'd have to be doing some hard core stuff to mash it. Still not convinced that frame only mounts are the way to go, especially with the weight of the Ram. Then again, you aren't doing anything too hard core with a full size crew cab, generally. Hey, post up a link to those when you get a min. Thanks!

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Your truck is really coming along as a serious off-road rig. Great choice of mods. Did you have to paint the sliders yourself or was that for grip?

I had them shipped as bare metal and just painted them myself. For an extra cost, you can have them powder coated before they ship them, but I didn't see the point. I can spray paint them as needed.

Where did you get them from or did you have a shop fab them?
looks killer / who make them?

Made to order. 4-6 weeks. Very good communication.

Nice. That little bit of tail by the bed looks like it could bend. But you'd have to be doing some hard core stuff to mash it. Still not convinced that frame only mounts are the way to go, especially with the weight of the Ram. Then again, you aren't doing anything too hard core with a full size crew cab, generally. Hey, post up a link to those when you get a min. Thanks!

I'm not too worried about it. Bolt on sliders have been proven and, like you said, this is not a rock crawler. I have no doubt it can support the weight of the truck in that spot and then some. Also, I went with the .188 DOM steel instead of the thinner .120 standard.

Bottom line; if you want sliders these are the only ones available "off the shelf".

One additional benefit is that these allow you to access the bed of the truck easier. Using the rear of the slider and then stepping onto the rear tire. (y)

rdz418

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
I really like these, but they won't work with the 33 gallon gas tank.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could you please elaborate a little on the installation being harder than the winch mount. Thank you in advance

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Could you please elaborate a little on the installation being harder than the winch mount. Thank you in advance

Not harder really, but more of a pain in some ways. It's just not what I expected. You would think it would be fairly straight forward because it looks so simple. It should have been, but the instructions were lacking in both clarity, steps, and quality pictures. So more trial and error than it should be. There are specific bolts and specific backing plates for specific steps that are not mentioned.

Then you have to deal with the weight of these being ~150lbs each.

What should have been a 2 hour job ended up being about 4-5 hours. Just not something I was expecting going into it.

Doing it again would probably take me 2 hours.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Not harder really, but more of a pain in some ways. It's just not what I expected. You would think it would be fairly straight forward because it looks so simple. It should have been, but the instructions were lacking in both clarity, steps, and quality pictures. So more trial and error than it should be. There are specific bolts and specific backing plates for specific steps that are not mentioned.

What should have been a 2 hour job ended up being about 4-5 hours. Just not something I was expecting going into it.

Thanks. Hopefully it will help others looking at this.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score

If it's not a total pain, and if you get a chance, could you take a couple of pictures from underneath and where they mount? I'm guessing it wouldn't help to show the difficulty you had (dealing with the weight had to be a kick in the balls), but I'm curious and will help for future reference.

When my kids get a bit older and can get in the truck easier, I'm probably going to add these or something similar and ditch my steps.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
If it's not a total pain, and if you get a chance, could you take a couple of pictures from underneath and where they mount? I'm guessing it wouldn't help to show the difficulty you had (dealing with the weight had to be a kick in the balls), but I'm curious and will help for future reference.

When my kids get a bit older and can get in the truck easier, I'm probably going to add these or something similar and ditch my steps.

No problem. I think @Chippy needs some shots of the gas tank area too. I see no obvious reason these would not work with a 33-gallon tank.

Once I get my day going I'll slide under and grab some shots.

Edit: I take that back about the 33 gallon tank. I think you would have some serious issues securing the 2 top bolts for the two rear most driver side brackets. Two solutions off the top of my head:
1. Drop the tank for the slider install
2. The top hole of the two rear drivers side backing plates need to be squared so you only have to tighten the nut down while the bolt head is self secured. Not sure how that would affect the strength of the fastener though.
212i4A8HcfL.jpg

Last edited:

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anthony thanks for the info I was actually going to check back with them and see if they have figured out the 33 gallon tank situation

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
So just spoke to nice lady at White Knuckle she said they are working on a 33gallon tank solution it’s just they are a small shop and it’s one of the things they need to get done. She asked me to check back in the new year.

That was probably Natalie. She was awesome to deal with for my transaction.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes that’s her name her husband is the owner she told me. I hope they get this done yours look great on your truck. I really could use them out here And don’t want to kink a rocker I’m a proactive kinda guy.

Edy

Reaction score
I was told that if I was in the area and would let them use my truck for a week or so to figure out the mounting, they would give me a set for free. 2019 Ram Rebel Quad Cab w/ 33 gal fuel tank. Unfortunately, I'm a couple of states over. It might be worth looking into if someone is near Apple Valley, CA. Would certainly expedite the rock sliders becoming available for that model.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Instructions were lacking in some important details. But my son and I got the job done. I’d say this was more of a pain than the hidden winch mount install (which was pretty straight forward).

Added some grip tape for when they are used as steps.

300 pounds of protection:
View attachment 41375 View attachment 41376 View attachment 41382 View attachment 41384

You can use bed liner spray. It seems popular with Toyotas, one guy even sprayed his whole truck. It is designed to survive scuffs, has a high traction surface, and is easily touched up.

BTW, how did you mount the winch?

Users who are viewing this thread