5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Road scars

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I fear no curb, that's why I have 18" rims and 33" tires. Got that low profile nightmare out my system years ago after bent/scuffed rims and bubbled sidewalls
I may do that eventually, I really like the look of the 22's though and the ride feels great to me. 20's are probably the sweet spot, 65 ratio tires should do well enough. Only curbs I see that could cause issues (and probably gave me that scruff) are when I physically go to work, which is only twice a week right now so I can deal. The new tires I just put on have better rim protection than the factory tires so that should help a little.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The 2020 Laramie I had was Patriot Blue. Fantastic color. Looked great in the sun when it was clean. But I wasn't so much a fan when it's not clean though, which was more often than it should have been LOL.

One of the first things I did on my current truck was to swap out the 22's for some 18 inch Rebel black-out wheels and AT tires. No offense to anyone who likes big wheels, but if I wanted a mall cruiser I'd have bought something like this...
Mall cruiser.JPG

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 2020 Laramie I had was Patriot Blue. Fantastic color. Looked great in the sun when it was clean. But I wasn't so much a fan when it's not clean though, which was more often than it should have been LOL.

One of the first things I did on my current truck was to swap out the 22's for some 18 inch Rebel black-out wheels and AT tires. No offense to anyone who likes big wheels, but if I wanted a mall cruiser I'd have bought something like this...
View attachment 113312
What did you do with your 22's? And did you have to reprogram the speedometer to read correctly?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
What did you do with your 22's? And did you have to reprogram the speedometer to read correctly?
They are stacked in my garage. I haven't decided what I want to do with them yet. No reprogramming required because my new tires have the same diameter as the stock tires.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are stacked in my garage. I haven't decided what I want to do with them yet. No reprogramming required because my new tires have the same diameter as the stock tires.
Right, like the wheel size went down by as much as the tire size (ratio) went up so should be the same.

That's probably my main concern with (potentially/eventually) swapping out my 22's. No one's gonna want them lol. Well, I just got new tires so I'll be waiting till those wear down at the very least.

Cajun_

Reaction score
I shouldn't have followed this thread. All these photos are giving me nightmares

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's probably my main concern with (potentially/eventually) swapping out my 22's. No one's gonna want them lol. Well, I just got new tires so I'll be waiting till those wear down at the very least.
I was concerned about selling my 22's, especially with the useless, stock Goodyear tires. I was so glad my dealer offered to buy them.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i had my truck like 9 months and washed it maybe 5 times and it got swirls and i had it paint corrected and ceramic coated … i think i will just every few years do a big paint corrections and update to ceramic coating because price for ppf is crazy they quoted me 7k plus

SeaHogs

Reaction score
i had my truck like 9 months and washed it maybe 5 times and it got swirls and i had it paint corrected and ceramic coated … i think i will just every few years do a big paint corrections and update to ceramic coating because price for ppf is crazy they quoted me 7k plus
Wow that’s a lot I know some just do the front bumper and hood. I’m thinking if I get another ding or two I’ll just see what PDR can do since I know a guy that is really good at it. I’m too far past a ceramic and ppf option. I sure love this truck though. It’s gonna get nicked where I live. Just something I have to live with

SeaHogs

Reaction score
People slinging things traveling the other direction has been my problem lately.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The paint on new trucks suck. I bought a 2015 and only had 17k after three years. Had rock chips and scratches all over it. Even after ceramic coating.

It happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigD

Reaction score
My last Ram I backed into my ball hitch 2 different times. Put a good dent in the bumper. Didn't have a camera on it. Truck b4 that I jackknifed a trailer & put a huge dent in the bumper. Found out u can't do PDR on chrome bumpers. This current truck I've had almost 2 yrs & not a single door ding yet. Knock on wood. I drive on dirt roads all the time. Use my truck for work in construction. Go hunting with it. I do have a couple lite long scratches on the door though. Probably could buff them out if I wanted to. I got the swirls too when the sun is shining on it because I go to a car wash that is not touchless. Oh well, it's just a vehicle. A material possession u can't take with u when your dead, so just drive it & enjoy it & be thankful your able to afford a nice truck.

SeaHogs

Reaction score
My last Ram I backed into my ball hitch 2 different times. Put a good dent in the bumper. Didn't have a camera on it. Truck b4 that I jackknifed a trailer & put a huge dent in the bumper. Found out u can't do PDR on chrome bumpers. This current truck I've had almost 2 yrs & not a single door ding yet. Knock on wood. I drive on dirt roads all the time. Use my truck for work in construction. Go hunting with it. I do have a couple lite long scratches on the door though. Probably could buff them out if I wanted to. I got the swirls too when the sun is shining on it because I go to a car wash that is not touchless. Oh well, it's just a vehicle. A material possession u can't take with u when your dead, so just drive it & enjoy it & be thankful your able to afford a nice truck.
Very true! It’s meant to be driven. Striving for perfection on these can make you insane

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ceramic coatings dont help with rock chips. That's the point of PPF.
im not trying to have car perfect but just kept looking nice. so i may do the ppf my self on the. side fenders and doors. i will just vinyl smething on it for the front

Cajun_

Reaction score
im not trying to have car perfect but just kept looking nice. so i may do the ppf my self on the. side fenders and doors. i will just vinyl smething on it for the front
if you are willing to do it yourself by the time you buy a roll of ppf. it should be enough to do the front as well.

cervelo15

Reaction score
I have always wanted the Patriot Blue 5th gen Ram. I’ve had 2 other Rams and am a loyal Ram guy. This is for sure the nicest one I’ve ever had. I’m having a tough time accepting the road scars that come with a daily driver. What’s weird is I haven’t been that way until now. I had a door ding PDR’d already and they did a great job. I touch up paint chips on the bumper. I noticed my first ding (I’m guessing a rock from my tire) right behind rear passenger door at the bottom. About the size of a pencil eraser. Not even too noticeable but I know it’s there. Just strange how OCD I am with it compared to my previous trucks. Makes me feel like I can’t enjoy my truck as much as I should. Road scars are inevitable though right??? I’m thinking next time I’ll just have to get PPF everywhere or ceramic. Thanks for the therapy lol
Let’s start by saying I get read the riot act on a daily basis by my wife and daughter about cleaning my truck and keeping it pristine.

Ive leased vehicles for a long time, so if something happened like a small ding or scratch, I wasn’t as upset because I’d be getting rid of it in a year or two and would start all over with a new vehicle. I tended not to baby those vehicles as much. But I’m on the hook for the long haul with this truck, so I’m making sure to invest time and top shelf products into taking care of this truck.

2 weeks ago, I walked out to the garage and noticed a crease dent on the drivers side pickup box panel, between the gas filler door and wheel well. My heart sank. I’ve kept this truck so pristine for so long and this happens. So it gave me a chance to try a new PDR/detailing place nearby. Came out awesome and got a maintenance wash out of it as well.

I just don’t understand how people don’t show any respect for other peoples things. That’s what we were always taught growing up. Arrogance and entitlement is the way of the world today. All I’m gonna say, if I catch you putting a dent or scratch in my truck, I’ll be violating your 6ft personal space bubble.

BigD

Reaction score
Let’s start by saying I get read the riot act on a daily basis by my wife and daughter about cleaning my truck and keeping it pristine.

Ive leased vehicles for a long time, so if something happened like a small ding or scratch, I wasn’t as upset because I’d be getting rid of it in a year or two and would start all over with a new vehicle. I tended not to baby those vehicles as much. But I’m on the hook for the long haul with this truck, so I’m making sure to invest time and top shelf products into taking care of this truck.

2 weeks ago, I walked out to the garage and noticed a crease dent on the drivers side pickup box panel, between the gas filler door and wheel well. My heart sank. I’ve kept this truck so pristine for so long and this happens. So it gave me a chance to try a new PDR/detailing place nearby. Came out awesome and got a maintenance wash out of it as well.

I just don’t understand how people don’t show any respect for other peoples things. That’s what we were always taught growing up. Arrogance and entitlement is the way of the world today. All I’m gonna say, if I catch you putting a dent or scratch in my truck, I’ll be violating your 6ft personal space bubble.
U better not park your truck at any stores & walk in then. What are you going to do when your inside Walmart & a car pulls up next to your pristine truck & a 6 year old kid accidentally opens his door into your door & puts a nice ding on her ? U going to spaz out ? Holy buckets u people are all way too obsessed with material possessions!!!!

cervelo15

Reaction score
U better not park your truck at any stores & walk in then. What are you going to do when your inside Walmart & a car pulls up next to your pristine truck & a 6 year old kid accidentally opens his door into your door & puts a nice ding on her ? U going to spaz out ? Holy buckets u people are all way too obsessed with material possessions!!!!
Been there, and it’s unnerving. I ll park the furthest spot away, in the open, where there’s no one around. And even then, I’ve come out and a car will be right next to me.

Being a parent, I make sure that my child knows not to go slamming a door into someone else’s car, or being careful when walking between cars.

Users who are viewing this thread