5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Road rash on 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 22" wheels

sdemartino

Reaction score
Hi all,
First time Ram owner here! Just took delivery of a certified 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. There's road rash on several of the wheels that I'm obsessing over and was wondering if they can be reconditioned or not since new replacement wheels would be $600+ each. They are the OEM 22" polished aluminum with charcoal painted inserts like in the attached photo. Can anyone confirm if there is a coating on the wheel? I believe the whole wheel is clear coated but looking for confirmation. Also heard that there may be some other kind of plastic/acrylic coating on it. Anyone have these wheels reconditioned before at a wheel repair shop like dent doctor/dent wizard?

Attachments

• IMG_1519.jpg
    IMG_1519.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 136

Stevenc150

Reaction score
Ive never had to but, like u, I'd def ask around & explore repair shop options as opposed to shelling out $600/ea

ktl5005

Reaction score
There should be wheel repair shops you can google who can sand/refinish it. Just the other day in a drive through at Dunkin I mildly scraped the driver's rear wheel on my 2019 Limited with ORG 20" wheels. Once I got home there was only 2 small areas where it was scraped, and once I hand polished it, it is so close to tire from a distance you don't know it is there so I am not going to do anything about it. Although, there was some foul language at the curb once it happened...

Atlantic Blue

Reaction score
Of course they can be reconditioned - not sure about whether or not it has a clearcoat. Since there is road rash on several of your wheels (lol i guess that means 3 lol at several) - you may want to just be more careful. if the rash is as minor as it is in the picture, then i recommend you not repair it because A - its minor and B - if you scuffed up several wheels already then you are likely to scuff up wheels in the future.

People who are careful about their wheels will use the tilt down feature (or tilt mirror down "manually") on the mirrors to see the curbs and will try to leave at least 2-3" of room between tire and curb.

Pictures?

Atlantic Blue

Reaction score
Once I got home there was only 2 small areas where it was scraped, and once I hand polished it, it is so close to tire from a distance you don't know it is there so I am not going to do anything about it.
Great 1st move - minimize appearance - move on with life. You are the only one who knows the truth. lol.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Agree with others. Any decent wheel repair place will make them look new.
Downside is you may be without your truck for a couple of days.

Dflood

Reaction score
Look for someone selling take offs... I'm letting all four of those wheels go for $700 next week when my new ones come in. Just have to find the right deal in your area.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
These wheels come up in the for sale section all the time.... I sold a set about 6 months ago for around $1400 with near brand new tires. Keep checking and be patient....

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go to Zeigler or chrysler warranties direct and buy the tire package. Then use it as needed.

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Last year when I bought my truck I really messed up one of mine with only 300 miles on the truck. I was so sick I started looking at options.

I ended up buying a complete set of take offs rims only, then later buying a complete set of rims and tires. I sold the rims and tires as a set and profited a few bucks. Then I sold one of the take offs on here. The original damaged wheel, still on my truck 12k miles and a year later. After a while It stopped bothering me so much.

So long story short, I do have 3 factory take offs that are in excellent condition if you want to buy 1 or 2 of them, I would sell them for $350/ea shipped.

Im saving one to eventually replace my damaged one.

Good luck.

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Go to Zeigler or chrysler warranties direct and buy the tire package. Then use it as needed.

Be careful here. I did the same thing, but as it turns out the wheel/tire warranty does not cover non structural issues. So curbed wheel that still holds air and balances out does not apply. Only if the rim beaks in half or the tire blows out entirely do you get any coverage.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Be careful here. I did the same thing, but as it turns out the wheel/tire warranty does not cover non structural issues. So curbed wheel that still holds air and balances out does not apply. Only if the rim beaks in half or the tire blows out entirely do you get any coverage.
Reminds me of the bridges in NYC. Federal government doesn't cover maintenance but steps in if the bridge has structural issues. From what I can remember that was the situation many years ago in NYC under the Koch administration. Let the bridges deteriorate so they would get federal dollars to "repair".

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's 2 coverage levels available, at least when I was looking, I got the more expensive one that covers cosmetic damage.

Users who are viewing this thread