5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rivian electric truck

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can I jump into it and drive 1000 miles in a day to anywhere I want , without having to wait an hour or more for each recharge?

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I read the article. I thought it was interesting that they tried to explain the charging, including fast-charging, in "kW". Was it just a coincidence that they didn't publish how long it takes to charge?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I read the article. I thought it was interesting that they tried to explain the charging, including fast-charging, in "kW". Was it just a coincidence that they didn't publish how long it takes to charge?
Sorry, I thought you wanted the answer...we have some who ask the same question right after the answer was given. Yeah, that is the downfall with the electric so far. Can't extend your Range with a 10 min stop at a fuel pump.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also that 400 mile range is at what load? How far could you get with a full payload or a towing all 11K pounds?

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also that 400 mile range is at what load? How far could you get with a full payload or a towing all 11K pounds?
I'm in the IT business. This is what is known as a "vapor launch". It gets some people excited, doesn't answer a lot of questions, and doesn't really exist right now.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty neat IMO. True, they only have one produced right now but if they have the cash backing and the ability to produce, I could see this truck making a major impact with plenty of current truck owners as well as bring in new owners much like the 5th Gen. Ram did.

Many of us here are "Truck Guys" but let's be honest, many here are "Truck Owners" by evidence of the threads posted daily showing what people really care about in a truck today. It is the "Truck Owners" I see Rivian luring to their brand or possibly even some "Truck Guys". For Example;

We love our Ramboxes here. Most owners don't care about the ability to haul a stack of 4' x 8' sheets of plywood or drywall, they want to haul their everyday gear protected from the elements and Rivian has the frunk and tunnel. Frunk, stupid name but a front trunk! pretty cool. The door on the tunnel doubles as a seat even or an additional step to get into the forward portion of the bed, neat.

We love our bed steps here as well, Rivian solved that making the tailgate fold all the way down with steps built into it. Great thinking. We like our Tonneau Covers too, Rivian answered that with one that is built in and automatic.

Lots of Laramie and Limited owners here that like their interior amenities and technology. Rivian has that covered, nice materials, large glass roof, an even larger screen than Ram and an even more advanced autonomous system. It even has air suspension!

They then went a step further and put AC outlets and Air in the bed so you can run tools. Real tools, it's not low powered AC like the typical truck convertor.

What is really not to like?....once you get past the actual look of it. The styling kind of reminds me of a Nissan Pathfinder from years ago. Other than the front end, it really isn't that bad looking and I am sure a "new front end" is something we can get use to here. ;)

You can't deny the power and simplicity an electric engine produces and the speed is insane. A motor at each wheel, imagine what that could do in the snow or off-road. If it can keep up with mileage and towing the standard user actually uses, that is huge. We all want a "cell" to produce a zillion miles but how often do you go for a contiguous 400 mile run? The typical user, not often and if the towing can keep up with a normal towing day (6-7k lbs. to the campground 2-3 hours away), why not?

As @Gman stated, right now it is 99% Vaporware. I wouldn't go and place your $1k deposit yet but many of us here one day will probably own an electric vehicle in the future. Not so we can say we are green, trendy or even saving some cash fueling but it's simple and satisfies our wants and needs. I like tech and I can honestly say, if they were already on the market with a proven reputation when I bought my Ram, I probably would not have bought my Ram.

djwdjw

Reaction score
I wish them the best. Hopefully they'll be able to deliver on, or ahead of time and avoid the distraction of being acquired by a monster that doesn't understand what they are trying to deliver.

My vehicles couldn't be farther apart on the spectrum and I think there is room for innovation wherever it comes from. And thankfully I can hop in either one and drive cross-country without any real compromises.

Zinger

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with new tech. If there is demand and you want to take a shot at creating supply, have at it. The only thing that I don't like is that we are still giving $7,500 of taxpayer money to support these endeavors. If you can afford a $60k+ vehicle you don't need (nor should get) my money.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
Anyone who is interested in Rivian, check out this forum! https://www.rivianautomotiveclub.com/home/1st-1k-members-free-gift/receive-your-free-rivian-keychain the first 1,000 members get a FREE Rivian Key Chain!

I got the first post. :geek:

I wonder if the keychain is vaporware too. Either way, electric is the future, and I suppose one day we'll all be driving electric vehicles, it's just a matter of time. Eventually efficiency will become too important to ignore, and charging/battery technology will be so good it won't be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/