5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIM SIZE

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you live anywhere where there is ice and snow during winter, go with the 20" wheels. 18's are way too tight. I have a car with winter wheels that are a size smaller than stock and there is not much room, which causes them to be frozen up on cold mornings. Real pain. I have 275/60r20's that are slightly taller than stock...give me a taller sidewall with same width.

We get snow and slush, if there's anything left in the wheels when the car is parked overnight, it freezes. Only issue with the stock wheels, is that it causes a misbalance and a speed wobble, but when the rotors and calipers are too close to the wheel they get stuck. Also with the salt and sand used in the roads here, it wears out the rotors really quick. More space there is between the calipers and wheel there is for the winter, the better. If you don't live anywhere cold and snowy, no issue.
yea i live in new york and had snow and slush but never this issue so interesting to hear my ram came with 18s tho rebel

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you live anywhere where there is ice and snow during winter, go with the 20" wheels. 18's are way too tight. I have a car with winter wheels that are a size smaller than stock and there is not much room, which causes them to be frozen up on cold mornings. Real pain. I have 275/60r20's that are slightly taller than stock...give me a taller sidewall with same width.

We get snow and slush, if there's anything left in the wheels when the car is parked overnight, it freezes. Only issue with the stock wheels, is that it causes a misbalance and a speed wobble, but when the rotors and calipers are too close to the wheel they get stuck. Also with the salt and sand used in the roads here, it wears out the rotors really quick. More space there is between the calipers and wheel there is for the winter, the better. If you don't live anywhere cold and snowy, no issue.
Never heard of this being an issue in the 32 years I've been driving in an area that sees plenty of ice and snow. I guess it could theoretically happen, but the vehicle is in motion when anything might accumulate on the wheels. This motion clears the area of the wheel between the calipers and rim before and as you park. Unless you pack that area with snow/slush after you park, there won't be enough there to freeze and cause any clearance issues. Ice/snow can build up on any wheels and cause a balance issue. I would argue that with less clearance, the amount of build-up will be less than if there is more clearance.

Maxum

Reaction score
yea i live in new york and had snow and slush but never this issue so interesting to hear my ram came with 18s tho rebel
The oem rims have a little.more clearance, so if you go 18"s, look for a set of those. I've seen aftermarket wheels that you could barely get a sheet of paper between the caliper and wheel.

3 times last winter I had to se a hair dryer to get my car moving, because the wheels were froze up. I habe a Hinda Civic SI, which has larger brakes, so 18" wheels are tight.
Never heard of this being an issue in the 32 years I've been driving in an area that sees plenty of ice and snow. I guess it could theoretically happen, but the vehicle is in motion when anything might accumulate on the wheels. This motion clears the area of the wheel between the calipers and rim before and as you park. Unless you pack that area with snow/slush after you park, there won't be enough there to freeze and cause any clearance issues. Ice/snow can build up on any wheels and cause a balance issue. I would argue that with less clearance, the amount of build-up will be less than if there is more clearance.

Well, my hair dryer begs to differ :) My last car was same make, different model, same thing always happened. Never had it happen to a truck or my Jeep Wrangler, but ive always had wheels that had plenty of clearance. Also, when I remove the winter wheels from the car, there is about 1/4" of sand built up all around the inside of the wheel, that gets trapped in there and can't get out because of the tight clearance...the rotor is actually sitting in a groove of sand. So, I will never buy wheels unless they have plenty of clearance

This might be an issue thats just local here due to the salt and sand they use on roads and the amount of slush and snow. I am in Eastern Canada where we get a snowstorm, but then rain on top of it, so ifs always a mess, then freezes up.

Maxum

Reaction score
Also, when the car is parked, snow blows in from the side and is impossible to push out, because there just isn't enough space. My Jepp I can push my hand right through from the outside and between the rim and rotor to clean the snow out completely.

It's just my experience. I'll never have wheels unless there's an inch clearance or more, at least not for winter use.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, when the car is parked, snow blows in from the side and is impossible to push out, because there just isn't enough space. My Jepp I can push my hand right through from the outside and between the rim and rotor to clean the snow out completely.

It's just my experience. I'll never have wheels unless there's an inch clearance or more, at least not for winter use.
see i wont lie i believe you becausee i had similar **** happen in ny but usually once i get moving the ice drops out and shifts and alittle driving slow till car is really warm, 😂

Maxum

Reaction score
see i wont lie i believe you becausee i had similar **** happen in ny but usually once i get moving the ice drops out and shifts and alittle driving slow till car is really warm, 😂
That's much more sensible than sitting in the driveway with a 50ft extension cord and hair dryer at 6am in -10c to thaw the wheels before going to work LOL!

Maxum

Reaction score
All I want to point out really is that 20" wheels with a 275/60r20 tire are ideal on the truck...MUCH better ride and looks so much better as well. Just the right amount of rubber. I know the Rebel comes with 18's and they work great, my friend has one. Probably would work great for me also, I just prefer, based on my car experiences, to have a little more clearance between the caliper and rim. As I mentioned, if anyone goes with 18's, get the OEM wheels and be safe, because they do have more clearance than most..

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All I want to point out really is that 20" wheels with a 275/60r20 tire are ideal on the truck...MUCH better ride and looks so much better as well. Just the right amount of rubber. I know the Rebel comes with 18's and they work great, my friend has one. Probably would work great for me also, I just prefer, based on my car experiences, to have a little more clearance between the caliper and rim. As I mentioned, if anyone goes with 18's, get the OEM wheels and be safe, because they do have more clearance than most..
yeap everyone got they own likings i have my rebel oem wheels +19 offset and -18 offset method racing both ride great

Attachments

• 259F6EBB-55BB-4077-A087-4BFF3AD795E6.jpeg
    259F6EBB-55BB-4077-A087-4BFF3AD795E6.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 4F36C934-42D5-4B31-AEAC-80B943BE14E6.jpeg
    4F36C934-42D5-4B31-AEAC-80B943BE14E6.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 28

Maxum

Reaction score
yeap everyone got they own likings i have my rebel oem wheels +19 offset and -18 offset method racing both ride great
Nice truck..I actually wanted the Rebel, but was impossible to find one in stock. Ended up with the Sport model, which is only available in Canada. Similar to a Laramie, but the badges and everything are blacked out instead of chrome.and a few other small differences. Just installed a lift, but debating on aftermarket wheels and offset still.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice truck..I actually wanted the Rebel, but was impossible to find one in stock. Ended up with the Sport model, which is only available in Canada. Similar to a Laramie, but the badges and everything are blacked out instead of chrome.and a few other small differences. Just installed a lift, but debating on aftermarket wheels and offset still.
i just got the rims … didnt like having spacers … i have .75 inch spacers in rear still but rather rear than the front (bora bora)
im now doing rear suspension to lift 1 inch

Users who are viewing this thread