5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Right Front Chirp/Squeak

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Might have a chance to look later this afternoon... but can you see these anti-rattle clips without taking the wheel off?

I want to see if I can manipulate them in some way and see if that temporarily gets rid of the squeak. Thus minimizing time my truck is in the shop.

Depends on the wheel. Here is a pic of mine. These are the updated pads as well as calipers with additional legs on the clip.

20190919_180909.jpg

The only thing you could try without taking it apart is a big dab of grease and try to work it in. Be careful of too much though, you don't want to get it on the pad itself.....kind of defeats the purpose of brakes. ;)

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends on the wheel. Here is a pic of mine. These are the updated pads as well as calipers with additional legs on the clip.

View attachment 36143

The only thing you could try without taking it apart is a big dab of grease and try to work it in. Be careful of too much though, you don't want to get it on the pad itself.....kind of defeats the purpose of brakes. ;)
Thanks for this... (y)
I was poking around yesterday and I think my brakes look different... the old version? I'll look again this morning and see if I can work in some kind of lubricant. There's a stretch of road not 2 minutes from my house that makes the chirp every time. If the grease works even for a few minutes then I think we know what's next. Fingers crossed.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m am now fairly convinced that the squeak/chirp is in fact the brake pads as others indicated. I was skeptical, and my apologies to those I discounted pointing me in that direction.

I sprayed a light weight lubricant to the pad/clip/shields section of each front caliper as in the picture from Troutspinner. The squeak is almost completely gone now for almost 24 hours.

Doubtful this is a permanent solution. Either the spray is doing it job as a lubricant or, it removed dust and dirt in that area that caused the squeak.

Either way I’ll be discussing with the dealer the next time I’m there.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a weird squeak from the right rear of the truck ONLY on right turns. Anyone else get that?

JeffJr

Reaction score
I just bought my 2019 ram rebel 2 months ago and noticed the same conditions and events causing the sound after having it week one. Its only got 2300 miles on it now so I took it in 2 weeks ago and they couldn't even hear it. So I had to drive them through the parking lot and point it out when going over a speed bump. I scheduled to bring it back in last week and it's going on day 5 now. I called yesterday to get a status and they said they ordered new break bads. I called today and now they said they ordered new sway bar bushings. I'll keep y'all updated on what.they find was causing the chirping noise.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update... the squeak/chirp is... gone. Inexplicably.

Two weeks ago I sprayed some silicon lubricant on the brake pad/clip area, which abated the noise for a short while. Since then it's been chilly or windy or rainy or all three, so I haven't been driving with the windows down. Today was the first day in a while I had the windows down driving around town doing errands... and no squeak. I kept driving to bumps I know would cause the squeak, and nothing.

Only thing that has changed is the weather. It was a warm and dry most of September, much like the rest of this summer. Since the first of Oct. it's been much cooler, getting down to 33 last night, but today was 68.

It must have worked itself out somehow. So strange. Hate not knowing the cause.

JeffJr

Reaction score
Took my truck in for the same issue and they replaced the break pads and sway bar bushings. No more chirping noise since.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Took my truck in for the same issue and they replaced the break pads and sway bar bushings. No more chirping noise since.
I do think it was the brake pad and the clip that were chirping... pretty much proved it to myself a couple weeks ago. But I have NO idea why it’s since stopped completely.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Chirp chirp!

Edit: well I can’t attach the video because MOV type isn’t supported (very lame) but mine is now Doing it too. Right as I come to a stop, not every time, but enough.

JeffJr

Reaction score
I do think it was the brake pad and the clip that were chirping... pretty much proved it to myself a couple weeks ago. But I have NO idea why it’s since stopped completely.
Well it's been 3 months since the dealership fixed the chirping noise but it's BACK! I took my truck in yesterday for my 1st oil change and did notice any noise till today. The chirping noise is back! Gonna call the dealership Monday to let them know. We'll see what happens, I'll keep y'all posted.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I’ve noticed my truck does this too lol. Definitely the brakes, like a cricket chirp. But over the carven exhaust I can’t hear it so :D

JeffJr

Reaction score
So I’ve noticed my truck does this too lol. Definitely the brakes, like a cricket chirp. But over the carven exhaust I can’t hear it so :D
The weird thing is that they replaced the brakes and sway bar bushings the first time and now it's back. So if it's the brakes, are all 2019 ram owners dealing with this issue and just not noticing it? Is there a tab for this issue?

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The weird thing is that they replaced the brakes and sway bar bushings the first time and now it's back. So if it's the brakes, are all 2019 ram owners dealing with this issue and just not noticing it? Is there a tab for this issue?

Mine doesn’t do it every time, but like on my driveway where it’s sloped I can pretty much reproduce it at will. For some reason that seems to effect it, maybe because it’s just less effort to stop. Seems to make the most noise when I’m barely on the brakes off idle or something. I can’t hear it with the windows up, at all, but I do hear it with them down from time to time. I’d imagine there’s a decent amount of trucks doing it and people just don’t hear it.

I guess it could be the sway bar making noise as I’m stopping but seems like a brake chirp.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The chirping with my truck's brakes has not come back. It has 12K miles on it now, and during an unusually warm day last week I got to drive around with the windows down. No chirp. Since it was something that seemingly "fixed" itself, I have no explanation on exactly happened. It might just be something that happens as parts break-in... or something that's affected by seasonal conditions... or maybe spraying WD-40 around the brake pad clips helped.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Mine doesn’t do it every time, but like on my driveway where it’s sloped I can pretty much reproduce it at will. For some reason that seems to effect it, maybe because it’s just less effort to stop. Seems to make the most noise when I’m barely on the brakes off idle or something. I can’t hear it with the windows up, at all, but I do hear it with them down from time to time. I’d imagine there’s a decent amount of trucks doing it and people just don’t hear it.

I guess it could be the sway bar making noise as I’m stopping but seems like a brake chirp.

Ha!
Mine is back as well, although not as much, and it seems to be on the right side also.

The fix last time was replacing the calipers, which did the trick.

Guess I will have to take it back and see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I am just going to continue spraying my clips with my bike stanchion lubricant periodically to keep the squeak away. I have done it twice so far and both times the squeak goes away. It's definitely the clips for me. It's an annoying fault in the truck brakes but right now I am not minding DIYing this.

ILikeBalloons&Cheese

Reaction score
I have the same thing. Taking the truck in Tuesday to get it looked at and hopefully they swap the calipers out.

ILikeBalloons&Cheese

Reaction score
My brand new Reb (2020 June build) just started doing the same thing. Sigh

Isn't it sad that we have 40-50k trucks and they come from the factory like this and no permanent fix in sight after a year or two of this issue being present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online