5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ridiculously Stupid Good Gas Mileage

neeginan

Reaction score
I posted in another thread about my curiosity to find the sweet spot highway speed which optimizes fuel economy for my rig. I have a very mild level / lift and ~34 inch tires which has already reduced my fuel economy by over 2 mpg at speeds of ~75 mph. That's what I end up usually driving here in Florida.

My idea was to find the speed where the car will stay in Eco 4 cylinder mode on the flat highways in Florida. Theoretically that will provide the best highway fuel economy I can expect from my truck. I was on the highway yesterday and came across a wrecker pulling a crashed toyota corolla going slow on the Turnpike. I pulled in behind him and started to experiment. No head or tail winds.

Long story short, for my truck with current setup, my optimum speed to maximize fuel economy and still be going highway speed is 60.7 MPH. I have 34.1 inch tires, so the speed actually shows on my speedo as 57 MPH (see pic). This was the speed that the ECU would almost always maintain the truck in eco 4 cylinder mode. On uphill grades, it would drop out of eco mode but on the flat (this is florida remember) sections it would stay in eco mode the entire time. When I tried to set the cruise at 58 MPH (which is actually ~62MPH which my tires), it would toggle in and out of eco 4 cyl mode too often. At 60 MPH (actually ~64 mph), it would only go into eco mode on downhill grades and wouldn't even try on the flats.

So I reset the computer and after a stretch of about 10 miles with the cruise control set at 57 MPH (Actual speed = 60.7 MPH) I was logging 24.6 MPG avg. That to me is just ridiculously stupid good fuel economy for a mildly lifted and leveled, 4X4, gasoline engined, 1/2 ton truck with AT tires and 3.92 gears. Never would have expected that.

Now, you aren't likely to find me dawdling along in the right lane at 60 mph too often. You are basically a hazard if you drive that slow on Florida highways. But there are a lot of parts of the country and lots of roads where that is a reasonable and safe highway speed. Anyway, this curiosity that I had, I am very impressed with the results. I suspect that if I didn't have the extra drag of the lift, the sweet spot would be a few mph higher, where the ecu would still stay in 4 cylinder mode and still get exceptional highway mileage.

57 MPH.jpg

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just cruising you're going to get great MPG's over short distances. Try coming to a stop and then accelerating back to 60 in that 10 miles. Bet your mileage drops 4-5 MPG's just from one acceleration. It doesn't take a lot to keep these heavy trucks moving, but it takes a gallon of gas to get them moving.

In my Rebel, on flat ground like you have in FL, I can get 21+ driving 55-60 in and out of eco.

neeginan

Reaction score
Just cruising you're going to get great MPG's over short distances. Try coming to a stop and then accelerating back to 60 in that 10 miles. Bet your mileage drops 4-5 MPG's just from one acceleration. It doesn't take a lot to keep these heavy trucks moving, but it takes a gallon of gas to get them moving.

In my Rebel, on flat ground like you have in FL, I can get 21+ driving 55-60 in and out of eco.

Agree. As I said, this was a steady state test. And one where I was seeking out the best possible mileage. But damn, that's still great mileage you have to admit.

Wsmith

Reaction score
I averaged 24.8 from Wyoming to Illinois, 80mph in Wyoming and SD. 70 in Minnesota and Wisconsin . The trick was the 40+ mph tail wind. 18.7 Illinois to Wyoming same speeds, but with a headwind. Make sure you always drive with a tail wind, no matter where it takes you.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bet I could get 30+ if coming down a mountain for 10 miles!
Seriously, though. I went through the Appalachians going from Knoxville to Charlotte. On the way back to TN I reset my mileage at the bottom of the hill. Even going 65+ uphill, that downhill grade kept my mileage at 19 going through them.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's hard to find 1 mile of flat road where I live, let alone 10 miles. I've done my own testing with MDS, and came to the conclusion that there is no negligible difference with or without MDS enabled for my commute. Certainly not worth the awful exhaust drone I get when MDS is active, and having to hear and feel the truck go into and out of MDS. When I had the stock exhaust I barely noticed it.

We're the ones paying for our fuel. There is no reason why, in a free country, we should have to live with federally mandated fuel economy policies which force auto manufacturers to implement these sorts of systems that we can't disable. I have no problem with the system being on the truck. Just give us a way to permanently turn it off.

dwalme

Reaction score
We're the ones paying for our fuel. There is no reason why, in a free country, we should have to live with federally mandated fuel economy policies which force auto manufacturers to implement these sorts of systems that we can't disable. I have no problem with the system being on the truck. Just give us a way to permanently turn it off.

I mean aren’t you the reason?

It has nothing to do with buying fuel. It has to do with the effects on the planet and you choosing to cause higher fuel consumption and pollution. The government has to step in to stop you for the benefit of everyone else in the country / planet and all those generations of people that will need the earth long after we are gone.

MDS has a pretty large benefit for me. The problem is getting it to kick in and stay on. Seems you don’t have that problem.

If you want to be mad at anyone it should be FCA. Perhaps they should develop a better engine that performs equally or better that does not require MDS. I’m all for that too.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I posted in another thread about my curiosity to find the sweet spot highway speed which optimizes fuel economy for my rig. I have a very mild level / lift and ~34 inch tires which has already reduced my fuel economy by over 2 mpg at speeds of ~75 mph. That's what I end up usually driving here in Florida.

My idea was to find the speed where the car will stay in Eco 4 cylinder mode on the flat highways in Florida. Theoretically that will provide the best highway fuel economy I can expect from my truck. I was on the highway yesterday and came across a wrecker pulling a crashed toyota corolla going slow on the Turnpike. I pulled in behind him and started to experiment. No head or tail winds.

Long story short, for my truck with current setup, my optimum speed to maximize fuel economy and still be going highway speed is 60.7 MPH. I have 34.1 inch tires, so the speed actually shows on my speedo as 57 MPH (see pic). This was the speed that the ECU would almost always maintain the truck in eco 4 cylinder mode. On uphill grades, it would drop out of eco mode but on the flat (this is florida remember) sections it would stay in eco mode the entire time. When I tried to set the cruise at 58 MPH (which is actually ~62MPH which my tires), it would toggle in and out of eco 4 cyl mode too often. At 60 MPH (actually ~64 mph), it would only go into eco mode on downhill grades and wouldn't even try on the flats.

So I reset the computer and after a stretch of about 10 miles with the cruise control set at 57 MPH (Actual speed = 60.7 MPH) I was logging 24.6 MPG avg. That to me is just ridiculously stupid good fuel economy for a mildly lifted and leveled, 4X4, gasoline engined, 1/2 ton truck with AT tires and 3.92 gears. Never would have expected that.

Now, you aren't likely to find me dawdling along in the right lane at 60 mph too often. You are basically a hazard if you drive that slow on Florida highways. But there are a lot of parts of the country and lots of roads where that is a reasonable and safe highway speed. Anyway, this curiosity that I had, I am very impressed with the results. I suspect that if I didn't have the extra drag of the lift, the sweet spot would be a few mph higher, where the ecu would still stay in 4 cylinder mode and still get exceptional highway mileage.

View attachment 74858
As a practitioner of blogosphere gas mileage heterodoxy I will once again state what should be the obvious: of all the variables to good or bad fuel consumption, the chief contributor among them is the driver, followed closely by terrain.

On Sunday I left Painted Post, New York with my hunting gear and two deer (360 lbs.) in the back of the truck and managed to get 28.04 mpg hand calculated. My northward route, I-86 to I-99 to I-390 back to Rochester includes some fairly hilly road, especially from Dansville, NY, southward. I used cruise control and kept my speed at 65 MPH for the 126 mile trip until I hit Henrietta, NY, where I reduced to 55 for the last 16 miles. The winds that day were blustery and varied from westerly to northwesterly. Temperature was 34-39 F. along the route. Tire pressure cold is 37 psi. No stops until the gas station 2 miles from my house. Everything is factory stock on my vehicle, including the tires. There's 13K on the air filter.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 043480 miles.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I mean aren’t you the reason?

It has nothing to do with buying fuel. It has to do with the effects on the planet and you choosing to cause higher fuel consumption and pollution. The government has to step in to stop you for the benefit of everyone else in the country / planet and all those generations of people that will need the earth long after we are gone.

MDS has a pretty large benefit for me. The problem is getting it to kick in and stay on. Seems you don’t have that problem.

If you want to be mad at anyone it should be FCA. Perhaps they should develop a better engine that performs equally or better that does not require MDS. I’m all for that too.
Haha...I said free country, not one where the government steps in to make us save us from ourselves. MDS does little to nothing to cut emissions. And my own testing has shown me that it does nothing to save me fuel on my commute. It's something FCA was forced to do so they could meet federal EPA fuel economy standards across their product line. Under ideal conditions it will save fuel, so FCA can claim that. As I said before, I have no problem with the system. Just with the fact that we're only able to temporarily disable it. I guess it could be worse, and we couldn't even temporarily disable it.

I'm glad that at least some people can benefit from it. Although I'm not sure how you can see as much as you claim if you can't get it to stay on. I do see it kick in...a lot. Which means it also kicks out a lot. It's constantly kicking in and out on my commute. Gets real annoying, especially knowing there is no benefit from the annoyance LOL. I'd think there was a problem, except my previous truck did the same thing on the same commute.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try an ecodiesel where you can see real world 35-50+ mpg at 45-65 mph on flat roads in FL. I'm bagging well over 900 miles to a tank, and the mpg guessometer is always over 30mpg.

dwalme

Reaction score
Haha...I said free country, not one where the government steps in to make us save us from ourselves. MDS does little to nothing to cut emissions. And my own testing has shown me that it does nothing to save me fuel on my commute. It's something FCA was forced to do so they could meet federal EPA fuel economy standards across their product line. Under ideal conditions it will save fuel, so FCA can claim that. As I said before, I have no problem with the system. Just with the fact that we're only able to temporarily disable it. I guess it could be worse, and we couldn't even temporarily disable it.

I'm glad that at least some people can benefit from it. Although I'm not sure how you can see as much as you claim if you can't get it to stay on. I do see it kick in...a lot. Which means it also kicks out a lot. It's constantly kicking in and out on my commute. Gets real annoying, especially knowing there is no benefit from the annoyance LOL. I'd think there was a problem, except my previous truck did the same thing on the same commute.

I’m glad you got a laugh at that. :)

When MDS is active it’s great. I agree it is annoying if it keeps going in and out then there isn’t much benefit.

I do wish the EPA would revise their testing to mimic more real world driving scenarios. I think you’d see a lot of cars data change quite a bit.

I am averaging 12mpg on a new truck with a window sticker that says 17 city. No way. I’ve since added larger tires that technically do not help any but still not anywhere near what the window sticker reflects.

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score
I’m glad you got a laugh at that. :)

When MDS is active it’s great. I agree it is annoying if it keeps going in and out then there isn’t much benefit.

I do wish the EPA would revise their testing to mimic more real world driving scenarios. I think you’d see a lot of cars data change quite a bit.

I am averaging 12mpg on a new truck with a window sticker that says 17 city. No way. I’ve since added larger tires that technically do not help any but still not anywhere near what the window sticker reflects.
That's unfortunate. My truck is also brand new, on my daily commute all in city with a little bit of freeway I managed 17mpg, 1mpg less than my 3.5L EcoBoost V6 I am selling. I am pleasantly surprised and it should get better upon break-in

Users who are viewing this thread