5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ride Quality

Craigg69

Reaction score
I'm new here so hello to everyone. I'm in the process of buying a 2021 1500 and was hoping to get some questions answered about the ride quality with and without the air suspension. I'm not a big pickup guy, it is a necessity for work. Its my only vehicle right now so whatever truck I do end up buying, I would be using as my everyday vehicle as well. I've always had another car for personal use as well as a truck, mostly BMW, Jaguar, etc., but with this pandemic and the uncertain future, I'm better served with only one vehicle right now. I've seen the interior of the the new rams and they're definitely something I like and are upscale and luxurious enough to keep me happy. Having said that, ride quality and comfort are my main wants for my next truck. I'm coming from a 2017 F150, and while the ride was ok, I feel like I would like more comfort in my daily driver. I wont be towing much, if at all so that's not a factor for me. Before anyone says it, I've already thought of just getting an SUV, but decided I'm better served with a pick up. Does the air ride improve the quality of the ride that much more than just the stock coil overs? I will be taking one for a test drive soon, but was hoping someone can compare the ride that has gone from a F150 to the Ram and has more than a few miles behind the wheel that you would get in a test drive. Thanks and look forward to joining your ranks
I have had many 1500 rams with regular suspension and the limited ram I have with the air ride is the smoothest riding truck I've been in. My opinion the Air ride is worth the money.

Last edited:

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The RAM (Non-air ride) reminds me of an old luxury car. She's huge, drinks ALOT of fuel, and has a very cushy / floaty ride. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I've had many Ford trucks. My last were a 2015 F150 XLT (with Bilstein 5100's all around) and a 2017 F150 Limited (also with Bilstein 5100's all around). The RAM, stock, rides much better than either of them before or after the 5100's.. but it handles worse. The F150's felt much more 'planted' when cornering and didn't lean nearly as much. I have since bought the Hellwig rear sway bar and Bilstein 5100's for the RAM hoping to remedy that situation.

baf3472

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the quick replies. I have a few test drives scheduled for next week. COVID has forced dealers to schedule test drives. They dont have a laramie sport with air which is my first choice so Im test driving a laramie sport non-air and a limited. Thanks

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I avoided air because of cost, future maintenance and repair, and lots of reports of failure during severe winter weather. I live my life by the K.I.S.S. principle. The steel coil suspension rides NICE for a truck and is totally maintenance free for the life of the truck. No brainer.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Unlike a lot of people in this thread I find there is a fairly big difference between the air and coil suspension.
I had coil in my sport and while the ride was very good, the air ride is something else. The ram with air ride is better than many luxury vehicles I’ve ridden in for ride quality.
It's interesting that you find that much of a difference, because I honestly don't really notice a difference btwn our Limited and our Laramie. Maybe it's because the roads in my area are pretty smooth. My city and county both do a great job keeping up with road maintenance. The biggest thing I noticed when test driving 2020 models was that my Laramie (coil spring susp.) rode so much smoother than the 2017 Rebel I traded in for it. And the Rebel had air suspension. Both have AT tires, although it's 6 ply versus 10 ply comparison.

BNeal

Reaction score
I have a '21 Limited with 22" and Air Ride. I can't compare to 18's, but the ride on this truck puts my 2018 BMW 540 to shame! Everyone (well, not everyone, but you get the point...) that rides in my truck tells me it has the feel of a limo - not a truck! If the 18's are that much better, then the ride will be mind blowing!

Rupp

Reaction score
I can tell you that my new 2020 Limited with air ride with 22" tires rides about as good as any vehicle I've every driven. That was one of the main selling points for me getting this vehicle.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My air ride in the Ram is way better than the air ride in my wife’s grand Cherokee. I have 20s and so does she. I think it’s because of the short wheel base on the GC.

EnduroEdge

Reaction score
I avoided air because of cost, future maintenance and repair, and lots of reports of failure during severe winter weather. I live my life by the K.I.S.S. principle. The steel coil suspension rides NICE for a truck and is totally maintenance free for the life of the truck. No brainer.

Same! Drive them back to back for a comparison. The dealer near us had Laramies with and without air suspension and I honestly couldn't tell the difference on a variety of pavement. Opted for the coils, replaced the 20" wheels with OEM 18" Rebel wheels and a set of Terra Trac tires. The truck rides incredibly smooth.

njt07

Reaction score
I am probably used to the air suspension from my grand cherokee, but when I test drove the non air suspension it felt like those old Cadillac land yachts. Smooth yes, but the suspension felt “floaty” for lack of a better term.

My wife sat in the back to see what the ride was like vs the air and demanded I get air for the kids...

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/