5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ride Quality Issues

lesha30

Reaction score
I have a 22 Ram Laramie with 52K miles on it, that I owned since new. It has stock 20" wheels on it. One thing that always impressed me about my truck was the ride quality on stock tires and shocks. It was always very "smooth" and felt very close to Lexus RX I owned before it. My mechanic advised me that my rear shocks were shot and needed to be replaced. My tires were pretty bad by that point too. So, at 50K miles I pulled the trigger and got Bilstein 4600 rear shocks and Yokohama Geolandar tires installed all around (per advice of the mechanic). I'm running the tires at 38-40PSI cold. Unfortunately, the ride quality has become much worse since the "upgrade". If I were to try and describe it, it's much "harsher" in the front, and I can feel every road imperfection in the steering wheel as I drive. It gets worse at higher speeds. I've had the tire shop check the balance already.
What could be causing this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

lesha30

Reaction score
Recommended PSI is 36 so that might help a bit. But not an incredible amount IMO. Were your front struts replaced?
Interesting...the sticker on the door says 39PSI. I could try to go a bit lower. No, struts were not replaced. Mechanic said they were still okay.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting...the sticker on the door says 39PSI. I could try to go a bit lower. No, struts were not replaced. Mechanic said they were still okay.
Door sticker is for OEM tires/brand. Anytime you go aftermarket it could possibly be different. Then you would use that as a reference point.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh yes. My mistake. It is 39psi. I must have flipped the 9 upside down in my photographic memory. 🤣😝

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I suspect the difference is your shocks . Heavy duty off road shocks do better at controlling rebound which increases stability and control over bumps but the added rebound control normally adds stiffness with results in a rougher ride. I made the same mistake on my first ram thinking expensive heavy duty shocks had to be better.

Users who are viewing this thread