5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ride Quality 4x4 vs 4x4 off road package

runamuck

Reaction score
Does the Hellwig rear bar make much difference in handling feel? Would it restrict wheel travel if offroad from stock? Does it make curves feel flat for body roll? Thanks

it is stiffer than stock and reduces lean on turns. I put one on to add a little stiffness to the rear and to reduce a little bit of shimmy I was getting while towing. the sway bar is the same size as the oem one so should not make any difference on wheel travel except that there are three optional positions for the link connection. I have mine connected to the center one which potentially could reduce overall travel by as much as an inch but I think you would get the same amount of travel just would compress the spring more to do it, thereby resisting lean when turning. the oem sway bar is hollow and pretty light while the after market ones are solid steel and stiffer and are a little heavier. I can feel the improvement . an easy DIY project taking maybe 30 mins. to do.

RockJock

Reaction score
I test drove a 19 with ORG and a 19 without. Both Limited. I thought they were both very smooth riding. I noticed a little tire hum at highway speeds with the tires that came on the ORG truck. I didn't hear that with the all season tires. Otherwise they were both very nice.

Couchsachraga

Reaction score
If you are going to use it off road or in deep snow it is worth it.

If not, save weight and get better mileage without it (unless you are going for the look).

I have ORP and air suspension, and look forward to exploring the trucks capabilities:)

NewGuy1

Reaction score
I am building a 2021 Limited in order to get a 6’4” bed. I would value any opinions on whether or not to add the ORP to the air suspension. I am unsure if I also need to level the truck as I plan on putting a DiamondBack HD bed cover on and attaching an iKamper SkyCamp 2.0 on top of it. Will the weight alone level the bed? I also worry if the air suspension and/or ORP shocks will handle the weight especially if I lift and level. The bed will likely have 750 lbs and my wife and I are 350lbs combined. The cover is an additional 120 lbs.

If SHTF I will max the bed load capacity, the reason for the 6’4” bed, and my wife probably won’t worry if we are sleeping at an angle. At that point I may be doing real off roading and not just a fire trail. While I hope it never happens I also don’t want to break something due to weight If I find myself maxed out. My dealer is still trying to find the max weight for the air suspension.

Would I be better off doing everything after market and do I risk voiding the warranty?

Any and all advice appreciated. This will be my first ever truck and I want to get it right. So much to learn... Thank you in advance, the New Guy.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am building a 2021 Limited in order to get a 6’4” bed. I would value any opinions on whether or not to add the ORP to the air suspension. I am unsure if I also need to level the truck as I plan on putting a DiamondBack HD bed cover on and attaching an iKamper SkyCamp 2.0 on top of it. Will the weight alone level the bed? I also worry if the air suspension and/or ORP shocks will handle the weight especially if I lift and level. The bed will likely have 750 lbs and my wife and I are 350lbs combined. The cover is an additional 120 lbs.

If SHTF I will max the bed load capacity, the reason for the 6’4” bed, and my wife probably won’t worry if we are sleeping at an angle. At that point I may be doing real off roading and not just a fire trail. While I hope it never happens I also don’t want to break something due to weight If I find myself maxed out. My dealer is still trying to find the max weight for the air suspension.

Would I be better off doing everything after market and do I risk voiding the warranty?

Any and all advice appreciated. This will be my first ever truck and I want to get it right. So much to learn... Thank you in advance, the New Guy.

The air suspension automatically levels for load (maintaining the factory rake).

You will need to worry about payload if you go with a heavily-optioned Limited. They commonly have payload stickers of 1,200 or less, which puts you over capacity. Be sure to do that math. My Longhorn has a 1,069 lb payload without the Multi-Function Tailgate, which wasn’t available at the time (or I might be in the 900s).

Users who are viewing this thread