5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ride issues.

dbrown

Reaction score
My first time posting. I have a 2019 1500 with 45000 miles on it. Ride issue is coming from the rear,it feels like a bent wheel or out around tire. Have had it checked for those and all is good. I started checking for myself. I found you can move axle and rotor up about .004" on both sides. Would like to know if this is normal. Thanks.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My first time posting. I have a 2019 1500 with 45000 miles on it. Ride issue is coming from the rear,it feels like a bent wheel or out around tire. Have had it checked for those and all is good. I started checking for myself. I found you can move axle and rotor up about .004" on both sides. Would like to know if this is normal. Thanks.
What is the ride issue specifically?

dbrown

Reaction score
Feels like a out of round tire. The play is up and down not in and out.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did you try having them rebalanced? Or maybe a belt shifted.

Rotate the tires and see if the issue moves

dbrown

Reaction score
Going to call dealership and see what they say. I don't really think axle should have movement. I understand in and out could be there but not up and down or front to back movement.

jdawgjm

Reaction score
Tires are new. Rotating does not change anything.
Not rotating, balancing them. Tires are not perfectly round from the factory. Go get them road forced balanced. Gotta cross this simple fix off the list before moving on with other solutions.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
99 times out of 100 it's the tires. Does it feel worse at a specific speed, 60ish?

dbrown

Reaction score
Speed wise it's from 40 to 60 range. Also got on interstate last night and 80 seemed pretty good.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anybody around that can swap wheels and tires for a test drive? I found certain tire brand and weight have caused a vibration in the frame, called "frame beaming". I think all RAM frames have the vibration cannister attached to eliminate that. Is yours still there? It could easily be the tires, if the issue is new since the new tires were installed.

E.Hands

Reaction score
Anybody around that can swap wheels and tires for a test drive? I found certain tire brand and weight have caused a vibration in the frame, called "frame beaming". I think all RAM frames have the vibration cannister attached to eliminate that. Is yours still there? It could easily be the tires, if the issue is new since the new tires were installed.
I wish everyone would include, at the very least in their signatures, their home state. There have been many times when this info would have help with solving their problems or concerns.

dbrown

Reaction score
That's pretty much text book for unbalanced or out of round tires. Did this begin right after you got new tires?
Yes and no. Before tires all was good. Rear tires were worn out,so I had them replaced and the fronts,still good,moved to rear. That is when it all started. Took to dealer and had old fronts replaced and then rebalance the front tires to be sure tire store did them correctly . That is when I started check from myself. I have been a mechanic over 30yrs and haven't seen alxes move up and down. I now have it at the dealer for them to check rear end.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes and no. Before tires all was good. Rear tires were worn out,so I had them replaced and the fronts,still good,moved to rear. That is when it all started. Took to dealer and had old fronts replaced and then rebalance the front tires to be sure tire store did them correctly . That is when I started check from myself. I have been a mechanic over 30yrs and haven't seen alxes move up and down. I now have it at the dealer for them to check rear end.
So you have not done the normal tire rotation at the oil change intervals.
No wonder you have issues. Nothing to do with the rear end, all to do with lack of proper tire rotation.
Next step would be with paying for a road force balancing.

Last edited:

dbrown

Reaction score
So you have not done the normal tire rotation at the oil change intervals.
No wonder you have issues. Nothing to do with the rear end, all to do with lack of proper tire rotation.
Next step would be with paying for a road force balancing.
No! I have done tire rotations. Change oil every 5000 and rotate tires. The only problem I have now is I shouldn't have posted anything. You do not have a clue!

Users who are viewing this thread