5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ride is awful

U

User_100353

So yesterday I ventured to riding in the back seat of my bighorn and I have to say it’s not a Comfortable ride. You can feel every little crack bump and hump. It’s so bad I feeling sorry for putting my kids through the torture of riding back there. My question is, I do have a readylift level on the front and stock nexen toadian tires but is there anything I can do for a better more comfortable ride. TIA

immersivenc

Reaction score
So yesterday I ventured to riding in the back seat of my bighorn and I have to say it’s not a Comfortable ride. You can feel every little crack bump and hump. It’s so bad I feeling sorry for putting my kids through the torture of riding back there. My question is, I do have a readylift level on the front and stock nexen toadian tires but is there anything I can do for a better more comfortable ride. TIA
More than likely, you'd need to install a better quality leveling kit with some shocks and springs like a Carli, assuming you just have UCA and pucks. It's going to transfer all the bumps to the rear rather than absorb them up front. Can also check your tire pressures - often are overinflated.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, so this is a truck, not a limo. The rear suspension is tuned for a range of cargo, and running empty isn't going to give optimum comfort. Cheap ride improvements? If you never haul anything, you can reduce tire pressures to minimum. Or throw a couple rows of cinder blocks in the bed. Beyond that? Softer tires, shocks, springs and/or air suspension, which will affect payload in various ways.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check your tire pressure? Id start with removing spacers and going either Eibach or Bilsteins then possibly tires afterwards. I rode in the backseat once just to try out the reclining seats in my Laramie and it was still very comfortable just like if I was driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
It’s gotta be your tire pressures. Lower them to 30 in the rear cold and 36 up front. These trucks are extremely comfortable and your leveling spacer should have absolutely no effect on the ride. If the tires don’t fix it then I don’t really know what to tell ya. Probably your best bet for the best ride quality would be to install the Carli Commuter kit. But if you’re saying it’s so bad it’s tortuous in the back seat I doubt even the Carli kit would make you happy. I’ve done road trips sitting in the back seat of my truck with a 5.5”spacer lift and 37s and the ride was unbelievably comfortable

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
More than likely, you'd need to install a better quality leveling kit with some shocks and springs like a Carli, assuming you just have UCA and pucks. It's going to transfer all the bumps to the rear rather than absorb them up front. Can also check your tire pressures - often are overinflated.
Respectfully, that’s incorrect. The top hat spacer has no effect on ride quality and certainly doesn’t transfer more energy to the rear. In off road scenarios where you’re using all available travel, yeah a spacer will affect your useable travel and thus decrease ride quality. But for daily driving on pavement it should have absolutely no noticeable effect.

U

User_100353

Respectfully, that’s incorrect. The top hat spacer has no effect on ride quality and certainly doesn’t transfer more energy to the rear. In off road scenarios where you’re using all available travel, yeah a spacer will affect your useable travel and thus decrease ride quality. But for daily driving on pavement it should have absolutely
It’s gotta be your tire pressures. Lower them to 30 in the rear cold and 36 up front. These trucks are extremely comfortable and your leveling spacer should have absolutely no effect on the ride. If the tires don’t fix it then I don’t really know what to tell ya. Probably your best bet for the best ride quality would be to install the Carli Commuter kit. But if you’re saying it’s so bad it’s tortuous in the back seat I doubt even the Carli kit would make you happy. I’ve done road trips sitting in the back seat of my truck with a 5.5”spacer lift and 37s and the ride was unbelievably comfortable
I guess I can try to lower tire pressures. They’ve always been at 36 which is what is on the sticker in side the door. I don’t want to go too low in the front though my tires are close to bald on the outsides

U

User_100353

I guess I can try to lower tire pressures. They’ve always been at 36 which is what is on the sticker in side the door. I don’t want to go too low in the front though my tires are close to bald on the outsides.

I don’t have spacers everything is stock except the level picks and UCAs

Juniorss

Reaction score
I have nothing to add but that my 20 Ram with air ride is probably one of the best riding vehicles I have ever been in. It rides better than my wife's new Escalade also with air ride, and that is coming from a GM guy as well..

Dustin_Tarditi

Reaction score
Interesting - we enjoy the back seats of my truck - My boys (6'1" and 5'8") both love the space and ride quality

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I guess I can try to lower tire pressures. They’ve always been at 36 which is what is on the sticker in side the door. I don’t want to go too low in the front though my tires are close to bald on the outsides.

I don’t have spacers everything is stock except the level picks and UCAs
When I say spacers I’m talking about the leveling spacers not wheel spacers. Even at 36psi it should ride amazing. If it really rides that horrible you gotta take it to the dealership and have a tech ride with you in the back seat. You say it’s very noticeable so the tech should have no problem recognizing it and taking it in to diagnose and fix it. The rear suspension is pretty simple. If you bought your truck used I’d check to make sure the coils are stock and the owner didn’t replace them with super HD ones for hauling/towing. Then check the shocks and have a shop check to see if they’re worn out. Depending on how many miles are on the truck or if the previous owner used it to haul heavy loads it’s possible the shocks are toast, which would totally explain why the ride is so rough. If both of those are normal, check all the bolts for the control arms, pitman arm and swaybar, and make sure they’re tight and that none of the components are broken. I feel like if any of those components were broken the truck would handle like garbage but not necessarily feel rough like what you’re describing though. If all of those things are good then I hate to say it….but maybe you’re better suited for a crossover or sedan 😅

Users who are viewing this thread