5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ride Height Question: Bilstein 6112 and Rear Coil Springs

jkilp911

Reaction score
I have a 23 Big Horn, Crew Cab (6’4”), and I’m curious if any of my fellow V6 owners have installed Bilstein’s 6112 front shocks and/or their rear coil spring lift kit, and if so, what notch did you choose and how much of a lift did you get?

I know the 6112 wasn’t made for the V6, but you can install them - you just need to account for (approx.) .5” of additional ride height due to the reduced engine weight.

I’m also curious about their rear coil springs because their website says you get 1” of lift, but other sites like AT say you get 1-1.5” of lift.

I’m having both professionally installed in a couple of weeks, and I want to the ensure that I pick the right front notch so my truck is as high/level as possible. I currently have the ReadyLift 2” Leveling Kit, and it’s nearly dead level at 38.5” front and back. So, I’m thinking if I go with notch 7, I should get 2.7” (39.2”) in the front to go along with 39.5” in the back.

Lamont22

Reaction score
I have a 23 Big Horn, Crew Cab (6’4”), and I’m curious if any of my fellow V6 owners have installed Bilstein’s 6112 front shocks and/or their rear coil spring lift kit, and if so, what notch did you choose and how much of a lift did you get?

I know the 6112 wasn’t made for the V6, but you can install them - you just need to account for (approx.) .5” of additional ride height due to the reduced engine weight.

I’m also curious about their rear coil springs because their website says you get 1” of lift, but other sites like AT say you get 1-1.5” of lift.

I’m having both professionally installed in a couple of weeks, and I want to the ensure that I pick the right front notch so my truck is as high/level as possible. I currently have the ReadyLift 2” Leveling Kit, and it’s nearly dead level at 38.5” front and back. So, I’m thinking if I go with notch 7, I should get 2.7” (39.2”) in the front to go along with 39.5” in the back.
I don’t have experience with the 6112, but did install 5100’s front and rear including rear Bilstein springs. Here is my post on it: Bilstein 5100 Completed (Front and Rear)

jkilp911

Reaction score
I saw your post, and its one of the reasons im looking for more testimonials. Theres only a few V6 guys on the forums who've installed Billy shocks, and those who have said they got about .5" more lift than advertised. You're the only person who said they got a full inch of additional lift, which confused the hell out of me. You said you installed the ORP springs too. Maybe thats why? I was glad to hear that you got the 1" of rear lift that Bilstein advertises though, because multiple sites say you get 1.5+.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Make sure when comparing the springs on different websites that both have the same product number. Different sites have different terms that are easily interchangeable. Perhaps you’re comparing HD coils to standard 1” coils but the different websites just list them similarly? I’ve made that mistake a few times. It happens. 🤣 I’m in the process of researching rear coils as well and it can get confusing with all the different sources.

jkilp911

Reaction score
Good point. I just double checked American Trucks, who say it's 1-1.5, and their part number is the same. But, Shock Surplus, who say it's 1-1.85, have a different part number. AT lists that part as compatible with multiple variations of the RAM 1500, so maybe that's why? Who knows. Guess we'll see they're, but I'm included to believe the manufacturer.

Lamont22

Reaction score
I saw your post, and it’s one of the reasons im looking for more testimonials. Theres only a few V6 guys on the forums who've installed Billy shocks, and those who have said they got about .5" more lift than advertised. You're the only person who said they got a full inch of additional lift, which confused the hell out of me. You said you installed the ORP springs too. Maybe thats why? I was glad to hear that you got the 1" of rear lift that Bilstein advertises though, because multiple sites say you get 1.5+.
My experience with the 5100’s was zero difference between Bilstein’s estimated lift heights (based on the clip number selected and projected on the heavier Hemi) and my marginally lighter V6 gas engine. Bilstein’s table said clip 3 would give a Hemi 1500 1” of lift in the front and I got the same result on my V6. The ORP springs are 1” longer than stock so they provided another 1” of lift giving me 2” overall in the front. Basically, I got exactly the amount of lift as would be expected with the same setup in the heavier Hemi.
As far as the rear, it’s been a little while since I looked into it and my memory may be fuzzy, but I think the projected 1.5” for the Bilstein springs in the rear is only for 4th gen Rams. 5th gen rams should all be at 1” of rear lift with those Bilstein springs in the rear.
Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes if you do the lift.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would suggest having the rears installed first then having the full weight of the truck lowered down then measure. Remember suspension tends to settle after some time. Then do the math and set the fronts. Im sure I’m stating the obvious but it might not be a bad idea to keep some rake in the rear incase you do have to load your bed with a few hundred pounds so your not nose high.

Also Bilsteins like I believe Icons are as well are progressive spring rate so keep that in mind as well. When I was looking to upgrade the rear I read the same about some guys claiming to get 1.8” of lift in the rear but that also has to do with how the truck was optioned.. gotta remember longer bed/rambox/mul tailgate = heavier bed which mean more weight and less lift from a progressive spring unless you go with a heavier linear spring

Last edited:

jkilp911

Reaction score
My experience with the 5100’s was zero difference between Bilstein’s estimated lift heights (based on the clip number selected and projected on the heavier Hemi) and my marginally lighter V6 gas engine. Bilstein’s table said clip 3 would give a Hemi 1500 1” of lift in the front and I got the same result on my V6. The ORP springs are 1” longer than stock so they provided another 1” of lift giving me 2” overall in the front. Basically, I got exactly the amount of lift as would be expected with the same setup in the heavier Hemi.
As far as the rear, it’s been a little while since I looked into it and my memory may be fuzzy, but I think the projected 1.5” for the Bilstein springs in the rear is only for 4th gen Rams. 5th gen rams should all be at 1” of rear lift with those Bilstein springs in the rear.
Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes if you do the lift.
See, that’s what I thought because the Hemi is only like 150 lbs heavier than the Pentastar. You’re dead on about the 4th gens by the way. Bilstein’s site says the same part gives them a 1.5, which must be where that discrepancy comes from.
I’m definitely doing it. Will probably go with clip 7 and maintain some factory rake, although I may go with 8 because if it is .4-.5 higher than expected, at most it should only be .1 nose high and it’ll settle. I’ll keep ya’ll posted.

Users who are viewing this thread