5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ride Height / Payload Error

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried to lower my truck to entry/exit mode to pull into our garage and got an error message like "ride height unavailable due to payload."

There was nothing in the bed and all I'd done since taking it out of the garage was driven it less than 100 miles and camped in the bed in a bed tent.

Anyone got any experience with this message?

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine has done this before when there was moisture in the connector for the bed sensors. It usually goes away once I started driving or hit a bump.

If you look under the truck by the air strut, you'll see a little arm near the top that's the sensor. Make sure it's clean and you can find the plug and clean it too.

1651970857395.png

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine did that once, on an incline when I lowered th3e bed to put about 150lbs in it. Gave me the error when I reied to raise it back to normal. I had to pull onto level ground to get it working again.

This code is stored and my dealer noted that I overloaded the truck and gave me a funny look when I explained and called it a glitch. I foresee me having to battle this in the future if I ever had an air suspension claim so my suggestion to you is to call for a service appt if you're still under warranty and report the message as a defect so they cant blame you in the future.

Tdmva21

Reaction score
Mine has done this before when there was moisture in the connector for the bed sensors. It usually goes away once I started driving or hit a bump.

If you look under the truck by the air strut, you'll see a little arm near the top that's the sensor. Make sure it's clean and you can find the plug and clean it too.

View attachment 128861
Hope this is not a constant need with the air suspension. I have it on my truck being built and can imagine the mud on the farm will have that jammed up often.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hope this is not a constant need with the air suspension. I have it on my truck being built and can imagine the mud on the farm will have that jammed up often.

Air suspension issues aren't common on 5th gens. If you search the forum you'll see there haven't been many issues reported on that. You'll be fine. Forums are where people come to complain, so if this thread has you worrying about a truck you don't even have yet, you might want to avoid forums unless/until you have an issue you'd like help with. There's no point in worrying about something that "might" happen.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks all. I drove it yesterday and the problem didn't repeat when I got home. I'll remember your comments if it happens again. I did spin the rear tires in some soft ground the night the error happened, so maybe I did just get some mud on the sensor or something.

Users who are viewing this thread