5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIDE HEIGHT - Beating a dead horse

Marusho

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed in various threads (including one I posted). Here is yet another contribution to the discussion:
AIR-SUSPENSION-CAPABILITIES.JPG
It seems ironic that the air suspension implementation for the Rebel and Off Road Group-equipped trucks is less capable than that for the other models. Looking at my chart you will see that the ORP trucks with their initial 1" lift are able to ride only .35" higher than ordinary trucks. That is one-third of an inch. Not super impressive. The Rebel, with its 33" tires has an additional .5" of height at the maximum setting (total .85") over the ordinary truck.
I brought up these figures in a conversation I had with Ram brand manager Darrin Dimitry in October 2018. He had been unaware of these measurements.
Note that my chart says nothing about the actual heights of the trucks, only the measurements from the lowest to the highest settings. We don't know if the "one inch lift" is measured from the Normal Ride Height or the Entry/Exit height.
I'll shut up now and let others weigh in.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed in various threads (including one I posted). Here is yet another contribution to the discussion:
View attachment 17983
It seems ironic that the air suspension implementation for the Rebel and Off Road Group-equipped trucks is less capable than that for the other models. Looking at my chart you will see that the ORP trucks with their initial 1" lift are able to ride only .35" higher than ordinary trucks. That is one-third of an inch. Not super impressive. The Rebel, with its 33" tires has an additional .5" of height at the maximum setting (total .85") over the ordinary truck.
I brought up these figures in a conversation I had with Ram brand manager Darrin Dimitry in October 2018. He had been unaware of these measurements.
Note that my chart says nothing about the actual heights of the trucks, only the measurements from the lowest to the highest settings. We don't know if the "one inch lift" is measured from the Normal Ride Height or the Entry/Exit height.
I'll shut up now and let others weigh in.
Well, FCA claims that Normal on a truck with the ORG = Off Road 1 on trucks without. I would have thought Off Road (ORG) = OR2 (non-ORG), but these measurements suggest that there is a further height advantage on ORG-equipped trucks. This could simply be a variance issue, unless many tricks were measured and averaged here.

These values could be compared against measurements that have been shared on other threads over the past 12 months.

Marusho

Reaction score
Well, FCA claims that Normal on a truck with the ORG = Off Road 1 on trucks without. I would have thought Off Road (ORG) = OR2 (non-ORG), but these measurements suggest that there is a further height advantage on ORG-equipped trucks. This could simply be a variance issue, unless many tricks were measured and averaged here.

These values could be compared against measurements that have been shared on other threads over the past 12 months.

If as you state, ORG Normal = Non-ORG Off Road 1, then my figures above would indicate that ORG trucks could ride .2" higher at the maximum and not a whopping .35". It would also mean the entry position for ORG trucks is .65" higher. I'd appreciate your providing the citation for where FCA makes the claim. Even though these figures are very unimpressive, I feel that the ACTUAL numbers are knowable given enough time.

Nobody likes to document or, rather, management never sees the need to invest in good documentation, but would rather move on to the next cash cow. It is up to enthusiasts to try to glean good numbers from slipshod documentation. Anyone with a laser pen, weapon sight or laser level is welcome to add their measurements to this discussion.

I don't feel we are much closer to the true ride height measurements than when I originally posed this puzzle in September 2018: https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...-height-ground-clearance-air-suspension.1916/

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If as you state, ORG Normal = Non-ORG Off Road 1, then my figures above would indicate that ORG trucks could ride .2" higher at the maximum and not a whopping .35". It would also mean the entry position for ORG trucks is .65" higher. I'd appreciate your providing the citation for where FCA makes the claim. Even though these figures are very unimpressive, I feel that the ACTUAL numbers are knowable given enough time.

Nobody likes to document or, rather, management never sees the need to invest in good documentation, but would rather move on to the next cash cow. It is up to enthusiasts to try to glean good numbers from slipshod documentation. Anyone with a laser pen, weapon sight or laser level is welcome to add their measurements to this discussion.

I don't feel we are much closer to the true ride height measurements than when I originally posed this puzzle in September 2018: https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...-height-ground-clearance-air-suspension.1916/
FWIW, @Rustydodge guessed correctly in May 2018 (see his responses starting at #12 in this thread). You’ll also find quotes referring to the 1” lift from brochures and manuals posted by @Edwards and others in the same thread (which I followed closely before ordering late last May).

Unless the latest revision addresses it, the owner’s manual is incorrect for non-Rebel trucks equipped with both air suspension and Off-Road Group / ORP. These trucks have only 4 height settings, just like the Rebel, as they are programmed to sit 1” higher at all times (just like the Rebel with air).

Now all of this is somewhat academic. Just because this is how the trucks are “supposed to” sit doesn’t mean they actually do. It wouldn’t surprise me to hear that there’s some variability, especially with the air suspension.

Marusho

Reaction score
FWIW, @Rustydodge guessed correctly in May 2018 (see his responses starting at #12 in this thread). You’ll also find quotes referring to the 1” lift from brochures and manuals posted by @Edwards and others in the same thread (which I followed closely before ordering late last May).

Unless the latest revision addresses it, the owner’s manual is incorrect for non-Rebel trucks equipped with both air suspension and Off-Road Group / ORP. These trucks have only 4 height settings, just like the Rebel, as they are programmed to sit 1” higher at all times (just like the Rebel with air).

Now all of this is somewhat academic. Just because this is how the trucks are “supposed to” sit doesn’t mean they actually do. It wouldn’t surprise me to hear that there’s some variability, especially with the air suspension.
Sorry, but I can find no ACTUAL FCA LITERATURE reference to the true ride heights in the referenced thread or in the 10 pages of @Edwards' postings. My Longhorn with air and ORP indeed states in the build sheet that it has the 1" Raised Ride Height, which tells me zero. Two adjectives and a noun is all I see. Until an actual FCA tech weighs in on this I fear all this discussion about what the heck is going on with ride height is a colossal waste of time.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
...I fear all this discussion about what the heck is going on with ride height is a colossal waste of time.
Hence the last paragraph in my previous post, where I call this discussion ‘academic’.

Users who are viewing this thread