5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RI moves to TN

Moosefire66

Reaction score
Good for you for being able to retire that early! I hope I could but doubt it'll happen. My last resort is working til 60 but you definitely won't see me after then!

Good luck with the move, and congrats!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Good job on being able to retire before 50! 🎉

My wife and I are planning a road trip through the area just to check out the lay of the land. Was planning in the next couple weeks but got some bad news on the health of our pup so we may push it a couple weeks, we'll see.

Just wanted to run from Bristol down through the Smokies to Chattanooga over to Pulaski then north to Kentucky and stop in at Buffalo Trace Distillery. Cut across WVA and back to northern VA. Central eastern TN looks on paper to be a good area for retirement. Just want to see the area a bit. While I am older than you, I still have a few more years of saving to do. Healthcare costs would kill us now.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
An excellent place to retire. And a great place to be if you love the car scene. There's always something happening in Pigeon Forge and Knoxville has a few sizeable shows of its own. Plus you're much closer to Tail of the Dragon.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good job on being able to retire before 50! 🎉

My wife and I are planning a road trip through the area just to check out the lay of the land. Was planning in the next couple weeks but got some bad news on the health of our pup so we may push it a couple weeks, we'll see.

Just wanted to run from Bristol down through the Smokies to Chattanooga over to Pulaski then north to Kentucky and stop in at Buffalo Trace Distillery. Cut across WVA and back to northern VA. Central eastern TN looks on paper to be a good area for retirement. Just want to see the area a bit. While I am older than you, I still have a few more years of saving to do. Healthcare costs would kill us now.
Luckily for me, my wife and I are both navy veterans! So med is not an issue. Although I can't see current administration helping me much?!? Beetlejuice be damned 😒

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Luckily for me, my wife and I are both navy veterans! So med is not an issue. Although I can't see current administration helping me much?!? Beetlejuice be damned 😒
Yes, my father was retired Airforce. When he passed and we were taking care of mom, I got to see the tremendous value of Tricare.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Islands are great but just vacationing around the Caribbean I can say it is a whole different way of life. I'd like to think I would like it but in the end doubt I could have the patience.

@Islander I cannot picture T&C as an affordable retirement option. Unless you made very appropriate decisions in your life. 😄

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Islands are great but just vacationing around the Caribbean I can say it is a whole different way of life. I'd like to think I would like it but in the end doubt I could have the patience.

@Islander I cannot picture T&C as an affordable retirement option. Unless you made very appropriate decisions in your life. 😄
Island time doesn't scare me, full octane rum does though. My liver hurts just thinking about it 😕

Islander

Reaction score
We have recently been thinking about the islands, just don't have enough experience with them to know where
I've visited several countries in the Caribbean on vacation over the years on vacation and they really do vary widely in terms of culture but never that easy to figure out quality of life unless you actually spend a lot of time in one place....my wife and I really like it where we are in terms of beauty...and it being relatively civilized...just wish it wasn't so damn expensive...

Islander

Reaction score

Yeah T&C is expensive , moreso than other destinations. Luckily my wife and I made one or two decent decisions so we could afford to live here...but even still we certainly do feel the cost quite a bit...oh well it's the price of paradise I guess lol

Geddyflea

Reaction score
TNRamGuy welcome to East Tennessee and more specifically, Knoxville! I was born and bred here and in my opinion, there is no better place to live! Plus this is the crossroads of the two major interstate systems in the country (40 & 75) so you CAN get there from here 😅

BNeal

Reaction score
I retired at 57, but after 7 months was bored out of my mind. Went back to work and will probably retire for good this coming September after my 66th birthday. After my first retirement, we moved from IA to TX. Loving TX! This time when I retire, I'll be spending lots of time on my Harley!!

Jgbstetson

Reaction score
I grew up in Chattanooga; it's a great place to grow up and retire, but has little to offer me at this stage in life. My parents and a couple brothers are still there. Congrats on your retirement and enjoy the region.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congratulations. I came down here 30 years ago and never left. Get used to the fact that you'll always be a "damned Yankee" no matter how long you stay, and also the fact that unlike us NEsters who will just give it to you in your face, down here you'll get a "bless his heart" and in the back. :ROFLMAO: Beyond that, though, the climate is fantastic, the cost of living is low, there's no state income tax (OK the sales tax is a *****), housing is still *relatively* reasonable, and the mountains are awesome. I don't get down to Kville much these days - I'm about 1.45 hours away, used to go a lot to see concerts and occasionally play them with my band - but it's a pretty cool city for a small city.

Jako

Reaction score
Congratulations. I came down here 30 years ago and never left. Get used to the fact that you'll always be a "damned Yankee" no matter how long you stay, and also the fact that unlike us NEsters who will just give it to you in your face, down here you'll get a "bless his heart" and in the back. :ROFLMAO: Beyond that, though, the climate is fantastic, the cost of living is low, there's no state income tax (OK the sales tax is a *****), housing is still *relatively* reasonable, and the mountains are awesome. I don't get down to Kville much these days - I'm about 1.45 hours away, used to go a lot to see concerts and occasionally play them with my band - but it's a pretty cool city for a small city.
States get revenue one way or another, but some are still better than others. Looks like the highest is 9.75% based on local. NYC is 8.875%, 1.125% of that thanks to "I should be president, mini mike bloombucks". He also raised the real estate and water bill rates.

Users who are viewing this thread