5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reverse Light Question

Gnix

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently just added some reverse lights at the back and I am wondering if there is any way I can add an on/off switch when I’m not in reverse. Just thought it would be nice to have when I need them for night fishing.

I am completely new to wiring and light modifications. I did some research and I found that I’ll probably need relay/diode, can anyone link a diagram and parts required please?

My currentsetup is:
-Connected the Curt 56584 (7 Pin Harness) to the back before factory harness.
-Curt 58560 (5 Pin Flat) connected to the Curt 56585 Harness
-Nilight Pods connected to the 5 Pin Flat (Blue-Reverse / White - Ground)

Thank you guys in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_7484.jpeg
    IMG_7484.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you have the perfect excuse to add some rear auxiliary lighting! Plus it will be easier installing additional rear facing LEDs then cutting into the factory harness for poorly lit reverse lights. Then the new LED’s can be switched however you want. There’s a million different ways to light up the night. Bumper, chase, hitch…get creative! Good luck.

Edit: Originally thought you meant stock reverse lights. I now see you added lights. Didn’t they come with a switch?

Gnix

Reaction score
Nope. Originally I thought of just using it as a reverse light for raining/snowing days and also boat launches.

Then I realize I spent my time for all this and I can’t use it for other purposes lol.

I didn’t splice into the factory harness. I bought a curt to replace it instead. Also thinking of adding some bed lighting so I will be splicing into the curt later next week.

I have some idea of how to add a switch but I need some help of how the diagram works. I know nothing about this so it gets quite confusing at the same time.

I should clarify the title more: How can I add a switch with my current setup lol.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Nope. Originally I thought of just using it as a reverse light for raining/snowing days and also boat launches.

Then I realize I spent my time for all this and I can’t use it for other purposes lol.

I didn’t splice into the factory harness. I bought a curt to replace it instead. Also thinking of adding some bed lighting so I will be splicing into the curt later next week.

I have some idea of how to add a switch but I need some help of how the diagram works. I know nothing about this so it gets quite confusing at the same time.

I should clarify the title more: How can I add a switch with my current setup lol.
I set up my additional reverse lights with a Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) switch. This enables me to have the reverse lights on when I put it in reverse, turn off the lights completely OR turn on the additional reverse lights along with a set of lights that point on the tailgate. Below is the write up, start at POST 364.

Users who are viewing this thread