5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

REVERSE AUX LIGHTING

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
About a year ago i installed some auxiliary reverse lights and they have been great up until 2 months ago when they stopped working.

these are the lihghts i installed (simple red and black wiring nothing crazy)

My first approach at this i ordered the kurt harness as many have done this mod and planned on not splicing into the oem harness. When i got under the truck i seen the previous owner had 2 self tappers still in the tow hitch bars and the wires running into the 7 pin had been re-wrapped with electrical tape. So with that being done alreaday i simply made my own harness running to both lights and used the power from the 7 pin and used an already existing ground to ground the lights.

2 months ago backing into the driveway i seen they were not on so got out to check and i found that the lights were on but very dim. A few weeks later they quit working all together. So i ordered a new pair swapped them out and still nothing. I went back through all the wiring checked the connections and even did a bench test on the lights to eliminate that they were at fault. I checked fuses and they are all good. When i detached the 7 pin from the bumper i seen there was corrosion inside the plug and tried my best to clean up the contact points, still nothing. Would there be any draw back from me using dielectirc grease inside the 7 pin to help keep it dry or from corroding?

any help is appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread