5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Return to stock suspension

Ohmario80

Reaction score
Good afternoon all, I'm considering returning my truck back to stock height. I currently have a 6" pro comp lift that came with the truck when i purchased it. I know there is a few issues with doing so but not completely sure what is all involved. I was hoping to get some advice and possibly a parts list for what is all required from those of you that have done so? I was told it would cost about $15k to do it and that sounds way ridiculous Thank you.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
Why would you do that? Lol especially for what it's gunna cost!...

Not trying to sound like an a$$hole (honestly confused/curious) but why did you buy a truck already done to return it back to stock? Why not just sell it as is and buy a new/used truck that's still stock?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

JDHarris

Reaction score
Just from the picture of what is in the kit, it looks like you would need factory steering knuckles, sway bar end links, shocks, misc bolts, and perhaps springs at a minimum. Most of it looks like parts you would take off and not replace. You may run into trouble if any cutting or bracket removal was done during installation. I have a hard time seeing $15k to reverse it unless cutting was done or you’re including things like rims and tires too.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
Sell it, buy stock pick up. Lots of folks like lifted trucks, should not be too difficult to unload.

Ohmario80

Reaction score
Why would you do that? Lol especially for what it's gunna cost!...

Not trying to sound like an a$$hole (honestly confused/curious) but why did you buy a truck already done to return it back to stock? Why not just sell it as is and buy a new/used truck that's still stock?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
A guy at a lift shop threw that number out on what he thought it would cost to have everything reversed simply because the diff was cut for the lift to go on. I don't see it being anywhere near that number, nor would i drop 15k to do so. I was originally trying to get all of the stock parts from the shop that does lifts for a dealer. They just scrap them so it wouldn't cost much. The cut diff and having to have the removed brackets welded back on is the main issue. No idea what it would entail.

Ohmario80

Reaction score
Just from the picture of what is in the kit, it looks like you would need factory steering knuckles, sway bar end links, shocks, misc bolts, and perhaps springs at a minimum. Most of it looks like parts you would take off and not replace. You may run into trouble if any cutting or bracket removal was done during installation. I have a hard time seeing $15k to reverse it unless cutting was done or you’re including things like rims and tires too.
They have to cut part of the cross member from my understanding. I don't imagine it being to much of an issue welding cut pieces back in though. Was hoping to find someone in here that has done it before.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
If you had the stock parts it shouldn't be too costly, but you'll have to have what was cut welded back, that may require fabrication so that type of labor is not cheap when you have to pay a capable shop to do it. I have no idea if the cut pieces could be welded back cleanly.
Download the Procomp 6" instructions and check for youself what's changed. If you don't have the parts you'll have to source them and they're not cheap either if you're looking at Mopar.

I'll suggest to leave it alone, or improve on what you currently have. Prob not what you wanted to hear but it'll be more cost efficient that way :) you should have bought a stockish truck if you wanted a stock truck. Cutting what's need to be cut to install 4-6" lifts is part of the reasons i'm not into that type of lifts. When you do this using struts and coils without cutting and installing brackets and spacers and the like, things can not only support more abuse but the driveability is also better, and going back to stock is as simple as swapping a few parts back. (keep your factory components for a painless switch back to stock).

Good luck.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
A guy at a lift shop threw that number out on what he thought it would cost to have everything reversed simply because the diff was cut for the lift to go on. I don't see it being anywhere near that number, nor would i drop 15k to do so. I was originally trying to get all of the stock parts from the shop that does lifts for a dealer. They just scrap them so it wouldn't cost much. The cut diff and having to have the removed brackets welded back on is the main issue. No idea what it would entail.
Hand fabbing isn't cheap, unless you have a welder and the skills. That and you better find someone that knows what they're doing so as not to have issues down the road. Just sell the thing and buy something else.

Kzink

Reaction score
Good afternoon all, I'm considering returning my truck back to stock height. I currently have a 6" pro comp lift that came with the truck when i purchased it. I know there is a few issues with doing so but not completely sure what is all involved. I was hoping to get some advice and possibly a parts list for what is all required from those of you that have done so? I was told it would cost about $15k to do it and that sounds way ridiculous Thank you.
I’m getting ready to install my lift and will have all the factory parts I remove.

Users who are viewing this thread