5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrieving Out of Reach Items from Truck Bed

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My body screams at me when I have to jump in the truck bed to retrieve something out of reach so I recently purchased this reach retrieval tool and it works great. Very heavy duty and will drag heavy items.

However, I didn't want it taking up floor space so created the simple storage solution shown below with stuff I had around the garage. I mounted each bracket using a single 6.6mm plastic rivet in existing holes for mounting the optional bed rails. A larger rivet would probably fit more snugly, but I used the largest I had and it seems to serve my needs just fine.

IMG_3150.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just put a couple of the Husky stackable storage bins with a cargo bar to hold them close to tailgate. No items rolling around the bed, and if I need to carry larger items they are easily removed.

SShadow1974

Reaction score
I have long handled grabbers that I leave in the back of the truck. I'm thinking about attaching a magnet to it and sticking it to the inside of the truck bed to keep it off the floor and from roaming around. I used to keep it in my RAMBox... But those are now gone. *sniff sniff*

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have the Mopar bed step? I've found I like it better than the tailgate step I've had on my F150s...

I don't, but I still don't think the step will allow me to reach items at the front of the bed.

I just put a couple of the Husky stackable storage bins with a cargo bar to hold them close to tailgate. No items rolling around the bed, and if I need to carry larger items they are easily removed.

Yea, things don't roll around or slide much on the BedRug. The bed of my truck is often very full and I'm reaching stuff I stored at the front of the bed. It's really stuff I don't want close to the tailgate because it is not accessed daily.

I have long handled grabbers that I leave in the back of the truck. I'm thinking about attaching a magnet to it and sticking it to the inside of the truck bed to keep it off the floor and from roaming around. I used to keep it in my RAMBox... But those are now gone. *sniff sniff*

I tried long handled grabbers but could not find one that would withstand the weight of some of the items I was trying to move. For example, I keep a trunk organizer at the front of the truck to store a heavy tool bag, jumper cables, tow and tie down straps and drawbars/hitch pins. The grabbers I have wouldn't even come close to lifting the tool bag by itself, but with the tool I purchased I can hook the trunk organizer and drag the whole thing back to where I can reach it and use the tool to push it back in place. No more jumping in the truck to dig for a tool then jumping back in to put the tool away.

Leer2.jpg

barrak

Reaction score
The Mopar kick-out bed step is highly recommended for getting onto the bed to reach for things or organize loads... quick to deploy and fun to use. Thought it was a gimmick at first, but made itself useful plenty of times already.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Mopar kick-out bed step is highly recommended for getting onto the bed to reach for things or organize loads... quick to deploy and fun to use. Thought it was a gimmick at first, but made itself useful plenty of times already.
He has a hard tonneau. Even with bed step, he would have to crawl to front of bed. I can see how the tool he has it best option for him

SShadow1974

Reaction score
I tried long handled grabbers but could not find one that would withstand the weight of some of the items I was trying to move. For example, I keep a trunk organizer at the front of the truck to store a heavy tool bag, jumper cables, tow and tie down straps and drawbars/hitch pins. The grabbers I have wouldn't even come close to lifting the tool bag by itself, but with the tool I purchased I can hook the trunk organizer and drag the whole thing back to where I can reach it and use the tool to push it back in place. No more jumping in the truck to dig for a tool then jumping back in to put the tool away.

View attachment 173246
Yeah, I don't pick up heavy stuff, but I can hook things and drag them. What you have works as well, in fact probably works better than what I have... But it's what I got. :)

dajogejr

Reaction score
DEG..no disrespect, but threads like this remind me why I love my ram box cargo management system.
things like jumper cables, bottles of washer fluid, tie downs, hitches…fit perfectly in the ram boxes and using the adjustable stop gate means I only use as much of the bed as I have to.

Or course, I have a split tailgate, bed step and factory tri fold cover. So our needs are 180 degrees from each other.
I like the hook/grab system you’ve done there.

SShadow1974

Reaction score
DEG..no disrespect, but threads like this remind me why I love my ram box cargo management system.
things like jumper cables, bottles of washer fluid, tie downs, hitches…fit perfectly in the ram boxes and using the adjustable stop gate means I only use as much of the bed as I have to.

Or course, I have a split tailgate, bed step and factory tri fold cover. So our needs are 180 degrees from each other.
I like the hook/grab system you’ve done there.
Yeah, I am missing my RAMBox on my new truck too... I have a Swing Case on order to try and get some of that storage space/organization back.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wow, Deja Vu!

ae5573t

Reaction score
Or you could build a box to fit the bed of your truck. Set it on upside down appliance rollers so the box can be rolled out far enough to unload the items you need.
20231227_150504.jpg 20231227_150711.jpg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have Ramboxes with the cargo divider, MFT, and air suspension.
I don't understand the problem of reaching items out the back of my bed ;)
^^This. Here's the configuration we use in our truck 90% of the time. Combined with the MFT there's no reaching required...

Attachments

• Bed divider.jpg
    Bed divider.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 23

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Or you could build a box to fit the bed of your truck. Set it on upside down appliance rollers so the box can be rolled out far enough to unload the items you need.
View attachment 173378 View attachment 173379
Or if you don't have the tools/space to build something, can just get the decked cargo glide that has stops so if you are on a hill it won't come all the way out of the bed.

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
I don't carry much in the bed, but when I do and it slides toward the front, I just flip open the bed cover sections, grab it from the side, and shove it toward the back to get it out via the tailgate, then reset the bed cover sections (Undercover Ultra Flex - just like a BakFlip).

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't carry too much 95% of the time either. I cut a pressure treated 2x8vto fit in the bed slots behind the wheel well. It keeps things from sliding forward. Other than that I have a bed step.

Users who are viewing this thread