5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

retrax pro mx

flyjets

Reaction score
Have a 2022 1500 with Ram Boxes and MTF tailgate.

Saw reviews on this Bed cover retrax pro mx is it worth the extra money and loss of Bed space?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the regular retrax. Lost about a foot of bed space. Not a big deal for me. You could get a trifold hard tonneau. You won’t lose any space with those. Just not as convenient

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the cover and like it, you do lose about a foot of bed space but doesn't matter for me. Being able to use the cover to hold some light cargo has already come in handy more than once.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm able to stow some toolboxes UNDER the cartridge that it rolls into. So, yeah, you lose about a foot (maybe an inch or two less) from the front of the bed, but there's about 8" under it that's clear. (Exception: two drain hoses, one on either side.)

So, I'm able to lay 8' sheet material in my bed (tailgate down) and the plywood does not hang over the end of the tailgate (about 4" short of it). That's handy for some cabinet-grade ply.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wonder how people get this cover to be watertight.
I never had any water with my Bakflip mx4 and my retrax leaks water like crazy, all along both sides of the rails, at end, and even in the middle some damn how.

Really wished I havnt spent almost $1800 on this piece of junk. The whole point is to protect cargo and I never would of expected to leak in the middle of the bed on any cover like between some of the panels.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder how people get this cover to be watertight.
I never had any water with my Bakflip mx4 and my retrax leaks water like crazy, all along both sides of the rails, at end, and even in the middle some damn how.

Really wished I havnt spent almost $1800 on this piece of junk. The whole point is to protect cargo and I never would of expected to leak in the middle of the bed on any cover like between some of the panels.

Make sure the rails are tilted up, so water will go to either end of the track, not down into the bed. The instructions say 5^ (I think?). I put some plastic wedges in place.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Make sure the rails are tilted up, so water will go to either end of the track, not down into the bed. The instructions say 5^ (I think?). I put some plastic wedges in place.
Which rails? there are 3 per side.

I think the real problem here is the Ramboxes.
I love my Ramboxes but i'm 99% sure it's the reason why this cover sucks.
Instead of re-design the cover so it properly fits a Rambox truck they change 1 part and say it fits, but in turn it really doesn't fit at all because water gets in everywhere.
The OEM soft cover my truck came with didn't allow any water to get in whatsoever. This one is like the damn flood gates have been opened. If I didn't carry expensive stuff in my bed I would return this piece of junk and go back to my soft cover where I know I can keep my cargo dry, instead i'm going to need to invest in a bunch of crappy tarps to keep in my covered truck bed to keep stuff dry. Maybe even put a carpet in over my bedliner to absorb some of the water.

Water doesn't even drain out of the tubes because of the way they get angled, and in addition those holes I have, have metal on the bottom so when it drains out it hits the metal and just comes back in.
2022-06-09 12.21.46.jpg
This next drip is actually between the aluminum panels directly down. I also have a drip like this 3/4 of the way twords the tailgate in the exact middle of the bed
2022-06-09 12.17.46.jpg

This is what the right side looks like after it rained.
2022-06-09 12.17.41.jpg

This is how the rails fit on a Rambox truck. My silver rails which I had to purchase for $350 myself from the dealership because the cover doesn't fit "black rails" that came from the factory is underneath both of these. As you can see the rails don't even come close to my Ramboxes, and if it did I don't think the Ramboxes would even be able to open due to the design of this.
2022-06-09 12.30.44.jpg

flyjets

Reaction score
I got this cover the other day and I am not impressed.
It has two 1" gaps on both sides of the MUlti function tail gate.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I got this cover the other day and I am not impressed.
It has two 1" gaps on both sides of the MUlti function tail gate.
Seal it the best u can. Hard to get a perfect bed cover that isn’t a cap

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mopar soft tri-fold sealed great.
Bakflip MX4 trifold is also great.

Price != quality
The Gatorax and Retrax are just half assed it seems.
Agreed. Trifolds will seal better than a retractable

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/