5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrax PowerTraxPro MX interfers with Rambox

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you mind taking picture of the the canister? I debating going this route over the Lomax that’s sitting in my garage but could never seem to find an accurate picture of how much room the canister takes up and the seal issues others had issues with. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LMT5G

Reaction score
Do you mind taking picture of the the canister? I debating going this route over the Lomax that’s sitting in my garage but could never seem to find an accurate picture of how much room the canister takes up and the seal issues others had issues with. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Unfortunately I don’t have a photo but underneath the canister you have between 10-11” of clearance between the bed and the bottom of the canister. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Srob85

Reaction score
Has anyone else purchased the RetraxPro MX with the updated rubber gasket that used to interfere with the RamBox system? Im looking at getting it but I just wanted to confirm that they did update to a gasket that lets the RamBox open without inteference.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone else purchased the RetraxPro MX with the updated rubber gasket that used to interfere with the RamBox system? Im looking at getting it but I just wanted to confirm that they did update to a gasket that lets the RamBox open without inteference.

I have the updated rails. They interfere with the rambox lids significantly less, but they don’t seal at all. I used some weatherstripping between the factory gray rails and Retrax rails and it’s pretty well sealed, now... but you’ll be pretty disappointed if you don’t go through that effort.

Srob85

Reaction score
I have the updated rails. They interfere with the rambox lids significantly less, but they don’t seal at all. I used some weatherstripping between the factory gray rails and Retrax rails and it’s pretty well sealed, now... but you’ll be pretty disappointed if you don’t go through that effort.
Damn. Not what I wanted to hear but thank you for the information.

bjevers

Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone know I had the old rails and I emailed Retrax customer service and they ship out the new rails to me. Much better now.

Majortom

Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone know I had the old rails and I emailed Retrax customer service and they ship out the new rails to me. Much better now.
Hi bjevers, when you say they are shipping out the new rails, do you mean new rubber gaskets, or new metal rails?

bjevers

Reaction score
New metal rails. There weren't instructions, but I figured it out.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

baccigalup

Reaction score
I have the same version as lmt5g..installed for a few months now and never had any issues with leaking but do have the annoying pop....today I noticed moisture inside one rambox and it looks like the door is misaligned...I also noticed that side of the retrax is slightly lower than the rambox like it dropped a bit...the other side is fine....I'm now hoping this didn't damage my rambox doors...if tomorrow is nice i am going to remove the cover and try to adjust the rail up a but....I am pissed that my rambox is out of line now. Ill take some pics as well. Has anyone else experienced this.

baccigalup

Reaction score
I have the same version as lmt5g..installed for a few months now and never had any issues with leaking but do have the annoying pop....today I noticed moisture inside one rambox and it looks like the door is misaligned...I also noticed that side of the retrax is slightly lower than the rambox like it dropped a bit...the other side is fine....I'm now hoping this didn't damage my rambox doors...if tomorrow is nice i am going to remove the cover and try to adjust the rail up a but....I am pissed that my rambox is out of line now. Ill take some pics as well. Has anyone else experienced this.
how did you make out with this i had the same issue and ram realigned my rambox, this product sucks

RTS001

Reaction score
Well, I didn’t see any reviews to the ram
Boxes being an issue but I just received this today! Have they had any updates or just new rails that “significantly less” interfere with the ram boxes. I’ll just return it before I open it. But it did come with two boxes???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 19

baccigalup

Reaction score
Two boxes. One is the rail system...I have been back and forth with the supplier and retrax about the inordinate amount of leakage..their answer has been this is common if the ramboxes are even slightly out of spec, I can expect leakage and the rails won't sit flush and tight, they refuse to say the product doesn't work as advertised and won't honor the warranty as I am just under a year. The supplier won't honor a return because retrax has not deemed the cover defective.. I have been fighting back and forth with them and have escalated up to the ceo...waiting to see what happens....my advice, is get something else. You don't want to have the issues I am and not have them honor the warranty. The ramboxes seem to present a challenge...I have been looking at the gator and they claim the fit is redesigned to not interfere with the ram boxes...I will do more research before I buy it though after this debacle

Last edited:

Kyzeebomb61

Reaction score
For anyone curious, I emailed Retrax about getting the new rail/gaskets they seemed to released judging by the posts in here, and they emailed me back saying there was a new 'part' number and that the rails/gasket that they came out with are the same exact as the ones from the launch year. Sounds like a bunch of BS and they didn't want to bother to fix their poorly designed problem

JohnGow383

Reaction score
For anyone curious, I emailed Retrax about getting the new rail/gaskets they seemed to released judging by the posts in here, and they emailed me back saying there was a new 'part' number and that the rails/gasket that they came out with are the same exact as the ones from the launch year. Sounds like a bunch of BS and they didn't want to bother to fix their poorly designed problem
I have the Electric Pro version and it was fitted by my dealer (300 miles away). Ram boxes work fine and it seems to seal fine. The only issue I have is it stopped working so I'm going to have to figure out how it's been wired in or if the controllers require pairing. Can you open these with no power manually? I had disconnected my battery to clear a CEL so wondering if that is the issue.

Bobmugge

Reaction score
Man I'm not happy to here this. My Retrax finally arrives tomorrow. It was delayed 6 weeks to refit for the new RamBoxes. Looks like they failed. Mine is the manual version but essentially the same cover I think.

That shot of the open lid is frightening. How could that be acceptable? These aren't cheap cover$.

Thanks for posting those and I'm very interested in your solution to the seal.
here it is 2024 and the same problem exists. I never even thought about it because I have had covers on every truck I have had an NONE leaked AT ALL. This thing is a joke. Mine is manual and it leaks profusely down both sides. I have a multi function tailgate as well. There is a huge gap between the tailgate and the sides of the truck since there are essentially two doors on the multi function tail gate. Even though the gap is there and water runs into the gap, it really is not an issue since all that water runs down the inside of the tailgate and back down into the bumper. The problem is the sides. It leaks a lot down the sides.. I am thinking about putting a weather tech type mat on the bottom and drill a hole at the top of the bed and let the water drain out that way. Everything will stay dry for the most part. It's not horrible leaking but it's enough to be a damn shame on a cover at this price point...

Bobmugge

Reaction score
I have the Electric Pro version and it was fitted by my dealer (300 miles away). Ram boxes work fine and it seems to seal fine. The only issue I have is it stopped working so I'm going to have to figure out how it's been wired in or if the controllers require pairing. Can you open these with no power manually? I had disconnected my battery to clear a CEL so wondering if that is the issue.
who installed it? Please let me know since the one I have leaks and I took it to a third dealer for repair and it STILL leaks...

Users who are viewing this thread