5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retractable Side Steps.

jws350

Reaction score
I purchased the retractable side steps from my selling dealer and I am going to install them. Has anyone performed this install? Any tips would be appreciated...........

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It is pretty easy. Just follow the instructions. Took me about 30 minutes.

jws350

Reaction score
Vincent, I am assuming you installed the OEM boards. Did it require a software update to operate. In my brothers RAM there is a button on the 12 inch screen to deactivate the running boards to keep them in place while servicing, as well as to operate them from inside the truck. Thank you for responding back to me.... Jim

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Vincent, I am assuming you installed the OEM boards. Did it require a software update to operate. In my brothers RAM there is a button on the 12 inch screen to deactivate the running boards to keep them in place while servicing, as well as to operate them from inside the truck. Thank you for responding back to me.... Jim
Sorry, I just realized you meant the side steps and not the bed step. I was thinking of the bed step.

Nozzleman

Reaction score
I believe you will need some programming from the dealer. Around how much are the steps going for at the dealer? I'm also looking to add them.

WchChip

Reaction score
My understanding is you can install them and they will operate just fine. If you want the Uconnect features you will have to make a trip to the dealer.

RebelChip

Reaction score
I've installed the OEM power side steps on my 2021 Rebel. I had to have the dealer install the code for the touch button to show up on the Uconnect screen.
The dealer charged me $100 to install the code. It takes a while for it to show up on your screen after they install the code. (Several start ups)

Blue_Meanie is correct the steps work just fine without the code being installed so you don't have to rush out to the dealer to start using the steps.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did this install on a Laramie. A few tips:
1. Familiarize yourself with the underside of the driver's side dash...you will be spending some time there.
2. Get good lighting set up under there, and be ready to be a bit of a contortionist to mount the CAN control box and poke through the firewall to run the wires.
3. Follow the instructions, don't jump ahead.
4. The wiring is the "hard part", but it's not so bad if you sorta study the layout of the wiring.
5. The control box mounts really easily, but way up high and to the outside of the inner firewall. The graphics in the instructions don't represent it well, which is why I recommend studying it.

On a difficulty scale, I'd rate this a 4 out of 10, but it takes a while...took me about 2.5 hours, but I move slow and thoughtfully.

You'll love 'em. Ping me if you need anything...

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
I remembered how much of a PITA it was for wiring when I installed a back-up camera on my 2012, so I made sure my '21 already had the retractable rails when I picked it out (my wife is 5'2"). It sure is nice having them, but being 6'5", I never use 'em (I've started calling them 'ankle biters - LOL!), so I just keep 'em stored until she comes along and hit the button to deploy.

Sounds like you got 'em up and running - Congrats and enjoy!

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1. Familiarize yourself with the underside of the driver's side dash...you will be spending some time there.
2. Get good lighting set up under there, and be ready to be a bit of a contortionist to mount the CAN control box and poke through the firewall to run the wires.
4. The wiring is the "hard part", but it's not so bad if you sorta study the layout of the wiring.
5. The control box mounts really easily, but way up high and to the outside of the inner firewall. The graphics in the instructions don't represent it well, which is why I recommend studying it.

On a difficulty scale, I'd rate this a 4 out of 10, but it takes a while...took me about 2.5 hours, but I move slow and thoughtfully.

Question: Is there a specific mounting location called out in the instructions for the CAN module?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 0530263 miles.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Question: Is there a specific mounting location called out in the instructions for the CAN module?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 0530263 miles.
Yes there is. The picture is not great, but once you identify the spot it's pretty easy to install. once you are under the dash look way up and to the left.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes there is. The picture is not great, but once you identify the spot it's pretty easy to install. once you are under the dash look way up and to the left.
Thank you!

Best regards,
Dusty

Timway61

Reaction score
I purchased the retractable side steps from my selling dealer and I am going to install them. Has anyone performed this install? Any tips would be appreciated...........
I put them on my 2020 Ram 1500, easy install, I had to cut off about 6” so they fit, I have a quad cab, the wiring was easy & I installed the bypass switch. Whole wire thing is plug & play. No need for a flash from the dealership.
Good luck

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What kind of pricing have people got from the dealer for the retractable side steps?

What did the dealer quote you for installation?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 0530301 miles.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I put them on my 2020 Ram 1500, easy install, I had to cut off about 6” so they fit, I have a quad cab, the wiring was easy & I installed the bypass switch. Whole wire thing is plug & play. No need for a flash from the dealership.
Good luck
Mopar steps will work with the door opening/closing, but if you want to control via Uconnect you either have to get the dealer flash, or program it with AlfaOBD. That is unless your truck was already flashed with the correct sales code.
What kind of pricing have people got from the dealer for the retractable side steps?

What did the dealer quote you for installation?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 0530301 miles.
Dealer list is $1525 I think...but Mopar has a 15% off Accessories coupon listed on their website almost all the time, like this one: https://www.mopar.com/en-us/service...?dealerCode=26835&fuel=gasoline&couponId=001B. Brings the price to $1296.

I never had labor quoted, but a dealer could install these in less than two hours easily, so it can't be too bad.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mopar steps will work with the door opening/closing, but if you want to control via Uconnect you either have to get the dealer flash, or program it with AlfaOBD. That is unless your truck was already flashed with the correct sales code.

Dealer list is $1525 I think...but Mopar has a 15% off Accessories coupon listed on their website almost all the time, like this one: https://www.mopar.com/en-us/service...?dealerCode=26835&fuel=gasoline&couponId=001B. Brings the price to $1296.

I never had labor quoted, but a dealer could install these in less than two hours easily, so it can't be too bad.
Thanks!

Best regards,
Dusty

jws350

Reaction score
I believe you will need some programming from the dealer. Around how much are the steps going for at the dealer? I'm also looking to add them.

I paid $1250.00. I took them when I took delivery of the truck. I installed them and it was easy. I went to the dealer to have them programmed and they had no idea how to program them.

jws350

Reaction score

Budda the great on you tube has an awesome install video. They were easy to install. I spent and hour studying and learning the lay out. The instructions way over complicate them. However, my dealer has no idea how to install the software.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I paid $1250.00. I took them when I took delivery of the truck. I installed them and it was easy. I went to the dealer to have them programmed and they had no idea how to program them.
Great deal! Programming in sales codes is stupidly easy...find another dealer or use AlfaOBD.

Users who are viewing this thread