5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retractable Running Board Motor/gear box replacement parts

Cdcrawford25

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited and the automatic running boards have started to fail in cold weather. Last winter would deploy/retract maybe half the time. When spring and summer came they worked fine. On cold days already I am seeing them having issues. They are regularly lubricated and so don’t believe that is an issue. My dealer only wants to offer me full replacement of all components for over$3k, but nothing wrong with the boards themselves. I believe I just need to motors and or gearboxes. Any ideas how to get these?

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1500 Motors?

Maybe check motor for part number. Mopar usually puts part numbers on majority of things.

Last edited:

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have the service department give you a complete quote listing all the part numbers needed. Then go directly to the parts department and only order the parts you need. Or once you have the part numbers order from somewhere else like Rock Auto.

jd20lar

Reaction score
I've got problems with drivers side. It goes random all the time. Speed sensitive, partly deploys some, won't fully retract, stays mostly out, etc. I just had to unplug that side. Found something with the motor & ram was replacing at 1 time. Part # 68461581AA for left motor. Whole new add on (wire harness included) set less than $2k. Why 3k to replace. 1500 in labor?! It is an easy job.

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk

1500DFW

Reaction score
Anybody else had these issues and replaced the motor? Did that fix it? I’m having the same issues with my drivers side not working right. Sometimes it works as normal. Sometimes it doesn’t work at all. Sometimes it’s just slow.

Users who are viewing this thread