5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retractable Cover

Rgayfield

Reaction score
I am looking for everyone's opinion on retractable covers. As of right now, I am leaning towards the Roll-N-Lock as I like how it retracts. Any anyone have an experience with the Roll-N-Lock.? If not what retractable cover do you recommend?

Thanks
Ryan

sep1006

Reaction score
I've had the Roll and Lock on my last three trucks now. Great quality and looks great as well, went with the aluminum slats this time and really like it.

IMG_1337.jpg IMG_1357.jpg

jimothy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven’t used the Roll N Lock, but I’ve written a bit about my Retrax Pro XR, and I like it a lot. XR adds t-slot rails, which you can use to add racks (Thule, Yakima, Front Runner, and probably others), bike fork mounts, and other accessories.

Benefits of retractable covers are convenience, security (particular aluminum versions), and reasonable waterproofness (don’t expect them to be completely waterproof, but I’ve taken cross country trips through heavy rain with little water making it in). They also don’t block your rear window like folding hard covers.

One feature that I like about Retrax is that they can close and lock in any position; some will only stop every 6 or 12 inches. Retrax is also nice that the “handle” to open and close it (which is also the locking mechanism) is on the side, versus a cord or tether on some models. This is a minor improvement, but nice to have.

Biggest drawbacks are price and losing about 10-12 inches at the front of the bed due to the canister where the cover rolls up. And they aren’t easily removable if you need every inch of your bed.

sep1006

Reaction score
Agree with the above post as well. For me it came down to the Retrax Pro XR and the Roll and Lock. They are both top notch in looks and quality and each has its pros and very few cons. As I stated I went with the Roll and Lock based of past experience.

Can't go wrong with either of these 2 choices.

Trailer Swift

Reaction score
Very happy with my Retraxone MX with a Yakima HD rack. Tres spensif, but worth it.

Attachments

• 20210502_080331.jpg
    20210502_080331.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210502_080417.jpg
    20210502_080417.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210502_144712.jpg
    20210502_144712.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 41

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Retrax works like a charm. The pro has a lifetime warranty if I’m not mistaken

tom318

Reaction score
Just installed TCA American Roll cover. Feels like a quality product and heavy duty. Drawback is it doesn't seem to fit the DT tailgate very well. The lip on the cover that overlaps the tailgate is very small. The end of the roll cover itself interferes with the inside cover of the tailgate and cant create a seal at the top of the tailgate.

Attachments

• IMG_0479.jpg
    IMG_0479.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0480.jpg
    IMG_0480.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0466.jpg
    IMG_0466.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0462.jpg
    IMG_0462.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 46

wfddmm21

Reaction score
Just installed TCA American Roll cover. Feels like a quality product and heavy duty. Drawback is it doesn't seem to fit the DT tailgate very well. The lip on the cover that overlaps the tailgate is very small. The end of the roll cover itself interferes with the inside cover of the tailgate and cant create a seal at the top of the tailgate.

I just ordered one but now 2nd guessing because of the tailgate issue you reference here, have you done anything to help this issue? Do you still like the cover??

tom318

Reaction score
I just ordered one but now 2nd guessing because of the tailgate issue you reference here, have you done anything to help this issue? Do you still like the cover??
I haven't done anything to address the issue. Its surprising how little it leaks even with this visible gap. I'm still happy with it and don't plan to change anything about it. I do wish I would have gone for the matte black finish, the standard gloss reflects sunlight pretty bad in certain scenarios. Other than that its great!

Shortly after the install i did order a thicker foam gasket to help seal at the canister end. The one provided is to thin, it would leak alot at the front. After installing this gasket I've had little to no leaks. 5/8'' thick by 3/4'' wide.

Users who are viewing this thread