5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resonator Weep Holes Question

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
I'm just curious about this. To anyone that's plugged their weep holes in the res, first, what method did you use? (weld, JB, etc). And Second, did you notice any moisture buildup/rusting in your pipes as a result? Obviously the holes are there to mitigate this, but has plugging them caused any negative byproducts?

I'm a couple weeks out from getting my muffler deleted and I originally considered plugging the weep holes and even just getting a res delete as well after hearing an awful spitting, almost exhaust leak type sound coming from them on cold starts (goes away after its warmed up). I brought my truck back into the shop that did the work for me and they suggested NOT plugging them as they're serving a purpose that helps prevent rusting out the pipes. Told me the sound I'm hearing is likely moisture being spit out, and that's why it only occurs during a cold start. I trust them on that, they're a reputable shop. Suggested if anything, to just delete them. I don't want to do that, however, that sound does get to me and I'm back to seriously considering plugging them. Living in northern Canada where its winter longer than it is the other 3 seasons combined, I was hoping to get thoughts/advice/first hand accounts from other members with their experiences doing this. Does climate really affect how much moisture is built up in there? (that's probably a stupid question). It's easy to talk myself into it now, but I'm just wondering about any possible consequences I may be overlooking.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Olive Green 5.7

Reaction score
I think you're overthinking the situation. If you want to be cautious, put some hi temp silicone over the holes and experiment to see if you can notice any moisture pooling inside the resonator. If you don't like it, just remove it or drill them back out.

Just my 2 cents

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
I think you're overthinking the situation. If you want to be cautious, put some hi temp silicone over the holes and experiment to see if you can notice any moisture pooling inside the resonator. If you don't like it, just remove it or drill them back out.

Just my 2 cents
I was just thinking long term. If my exhaust shop is telling me they won't plug the holes for me, I gotta question why that is. I know people still do which is why I ask. But you're right, I was thinking of a temporary fix rather than a permanent one such as welding, that way I can always revert back if necessary.

Love the color of your truck by the way. Was thinking about getting a wrap somewhere down the road but it wouldn't look nearly as good as yours does now.

Bassinb

Reaction score
I JB welded mine shut when I installed my B2 muffler. If the resonators start to rust out at some point (which they will in Wisconsin) I will just remove them and use a resonator delete kit. Or maybe I will buy a full bolt on cat back at that time.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
Why do you want to plug them anyway? Seems pointless if they are there for a reason...

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
I JB welded mine shut when I installed my B2 muffler. If the resonators start to rust out at some point (which they will in Wisconsin) I will just remove them and use a resonator delete kit. Or maybe I will buy a full bolt on cat back at that time.

Ok cool. I'm leaning towards some JB weld. The rust part is really all I was concerned with. Its inevitable, but I was hoping to hear about some first hand accounts where plugging the weep holes expedited that or whatever, I don't know I just figured I'd ask, even if it sounds stupid to most.

But like you, I'll probably just get a whole new cat back when the time comes. For now I think it sounds great.

Why do you want to plug them anyway? Seems pointless if they are there for a reason...
Just cleans up the sound a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And yeah, what HemiDad said. Cold starts bug me after my delete.

Users who are viewing this thread