5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resetting check engine light after running out of Diesel

Reaction score
So I learned a valuable lesson with my new 2022: Don't trust the gas miles left in the tank estimate.

I drove by many stations on my way to my favorite Diesel fill up, but ended up on dead on the side of the road despite the readout still saying I had 23 miles in the tank!

Anyways, now I'm riding around with a check engine light that won't turn off.

Is there an easy way to reset it without bringing it into the dealer?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Try your local auto parts store. Moat of them will scan vehicles for free. Also, read your owners manual as it may show how to reset it through the dash

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I learned a valuable lesson with my new 2022: Don't trust the gas miles left in the tank estimate.

I drove by many stations on my way to my favorite Diesel fill up, but ended up on dead on the side of the road despite the readout still saying I had 23 miles in the tank!

It will typically reset itself after a certain number of cycles assuming the issue causing the check engine light is resolved. Rlaf75 is correct and offers good advice going to an auto parts store and having them hook up to the OBD port and read the code. It could be you messed up a sensor by running it empty.

FYI, it is NEVER a good idea to run a diesel dry…and strongly recommended to never let it go below 1/4 of a tank as the fuel is what keeps the fuel pump in the tank cool. Running low and/ or out of diesel on an Ecodiesel is a proven way to kill that engine prematurely.

Last edited:

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score

What @NorthStar said: although modern diesels are more forgiving than older ones if you run it dry...it's pretty bad for a diesel. For a gasser, it's no big deal (in fact, it's even called for before storage, etc.). But a diesel? Bad juju.

Users who are viewing this thread