5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resetting battery life in ECU when changed

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Refer to owners manual. The short answer from that is battery negative post and battery positive post.

That's what I've always done, but the current owners manual specifically warns against connecting directly to the negative battery post on the vehicle being jump started.

It says you can connect to the negative post of the booster battery, but not the battery being jump started.

From 2023 Ram Manual

Connect the opposite end of the negative (-) jumper
cable to a good engine ground. A “ground” is an
exposed metallic/unpainted part of the engine, frame
or chassis, such as an accessory bracket or large bolt.
The ground must be away from the battery and the
fuel injection system.

Do not connect the jumper cable to the negative (-) post
of the discharged battery. The resulting electrical spark
could cause the battery to explode and could result in
personal injury.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What about the NOCO charger's. I use a 5 amp charger once a month on both the car and truck batteries to keep them fully charged. Small town living, lots of short drives. What got my attention was they seem to be an all in one charger. Regular acid battery, AGM, Lithium. They are said to ramp down once the battery is fully charged and go into a maintenance mode and help desulfate battery. I knew there were sensor's and controls on the batteries, but never gave a thought about where to put the negative charger clamp. I always get the clamp teeth into the top of both battery posts. Both batteries are AGM's.
From a Deltran Battery Tender

"For negative-grounded vehicle, connect POSITIVE (RED) clip from battery charger to POSITIVE (POS, P, +) ungrounded post of battery first. Then connect NEGATIVE (BLACK) clip to vehicle chassis or engine block away from battery. Do not connect clip to carburetor, fuel lines, or sheet-metal body parts. Connect to a heavy gage metal part of the frame or engine block."

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong (I'm sure that some peep will) however isn't the fear of "explosion" based on the decades old (like me) not sealed lead acid batteries (remember the screw caps?) which could vent hydrogen gas. That's where the potential was for an explosion. I don't think AGM's or Lithium batteries have that issue, while lithium isn't used as a starting battery, AGM's are.

Website "understandingtools.com" contradicts me in this article:

What Happens If A Battery Vent Tube Is Not Connected?​

April 17, 2022 by Understanding Tools

However only once have I ever had a vehicle (Prius) with a battery vent tube...
Wife says I'm blind so maybe that's true.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong (I'm sure that some peep will) however isn't the fear of "explosion" based on the decades old (like me) not sealed lead acid batteries (remember the screw caps?) which could vent hydrogen gas. That's where the potential was for an explosion. I don't think AGM's or Lithium batteries have that issue, while lithium isn't used as a starting battery, AGM's are.

Website "understandingtools.com" contradicts me in this article:

What Happens If A Battery Vent Tube Is Not Connected?​

April 17, 2022 by Understanding Tools

However only once have I ever had a vehicle (Prius) with a battery vent tube...
Wife says I'm blind so maybe that's true.
Only time you need a vent tube is if the battery is inside the passenger compartment. My 2005 Dodge Magnum had to have one because the battery was in the back next to spare tire, which since it was a wagon, was inside passenger compartment

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's what I've always done, but the current owners manual specifically warns against connecting directly to the negative battery post on the vehicle being jump started.

It says you can connect to the negative post of the booster battery, but not the battery being jump started.

From 2023 Ram Manual

Connect the opposite end of the negative (-) jumper
exposed metallic/unpainted part of the engine, frame
or chassis, such as an accessory bracket or large bolt.
The ground must be away from the battery and the
fuel injection system.

Do not connect the jumper cable to the negative (-) post
of the discharged battery. The resulting electrical spark
could cause the battery to explode and could result in
personal injury.
It's a risk I take, I accept that risk.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is no BMS in a Ram, there is an IBS.
The documents I see show it does in fact have memory.
If you used one of those "power saves devices" to swap the battery you would be wrong for doing so and would screwup the new battery since the IBS doesn't reset.
Wow, good to know. Good thing I've held off buying a power/memory saver device from Amazon.

6of36

Reaction score
Refer to owners manual. The short answer from that is battery negative post and battery positive post.
Wrong. From manual. Page 328 for 24. Never connect to negative post.

. Connect the opposite end of the negative (-) jumper
exposed metallic/unpainted part of the engine,
frame or chassis, such as an accessory bracket or
large bolt. The ground must be away from the battery
and the fuel injection system.

Attachments

• 1705976463806.png
    1705976463806.png
    23 KB · Views: 14

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

Is this for jumping and charging?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I've always gone straight from battery to battery in parallel when jumpstarting vehicles. Never had any issues from it. And most can't even tell you why it's not recommended

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've always gone straight from battery to battery in parallel when jumpstarting vehicles. Never had any issues from it. And most can't even tell you why it's not recommended
I have always done the same.
Just make sure the donor car is already running so you don't drain the battery and don't let the cables touch stuff they shouldn't

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I'm not scared. I talk on my cell phone when pumping gas too. Call me crazy.

Bob.

Reaction score
So what is the battery life on a new Ram? 4-5 years or do they fail sooner than that?

Also if you do replace the battery like that video, and leave it dead for a few hours, will it affect your XM radio? I don't care to loose stations, I don't want the truck not to know it has a radio in it....

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
So what is the battery life on a new Ram? 4-5 years or do they fail sooner than that?

Also if you do replace the battery like that video, and leave it dead for a few hours, will it affect your XM radio? I don't care to loose stations, I don't want the truck not to know it has a radio in it....
I doubt anyone can really answer that. It all depends on how much the battery is used. Also extreme climates can make it fail sooner. If you get 5 years out of a battery on a daily driver you’ve done well.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

No effect on your radio. The only thing that won't stay is if you changed the theme

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

I didn't even get 2 years on my oem battery

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
My 2019 failed at 22 months, it was on a trickle charger weekly from new. Many threads on poor battery life overall.
Jury is still out on the 2023.

ben b

Reaction score
My 2019 failed at 22 months, it was on a trickle charger weekly from new. Many threads on poor battery life overall.
Jury is still out on the 2023.
My experience was very similar. 2021 model that failed at 25 months. I also kept on a trickle charger.

Users who are viewing this thread