5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resetting battery life in ECU when changed

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Someone told me that you need to reset the “battery life” on newer vehicles when you change it. I’ve never heard of this. He pointed me to the video below.

Any idea if 5th gen rams need this reset?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I believe they do, but I read leaving it disconnected for 4 hours does the same thing.
We have an ibs sensor on the negative terminal.
I also looked in Alfaobd and there is a configs option to change battery type which would lilely affect charging rate if you switch to an AGM battery like I am.

This is what is saved in my bcm currently from the factory.
Screenshot_20240118-003915849 (1).jpg

n8zcc

Reaction score
No that’s why I asked!!!!
Good for you, no one should be afraid to ask a question but should expect a responsible answer.

The BMS system will automatically detect the new battery's capacity, you need to do nothing. Remember to connect any accessories to your battery, if you have any, on the non-battery post side of the BMS sensor so the sensor can detect the usage of power from the battery. I think late-model RAMs moved the sensor to the negative post to mitigate this issue. I believe the owner's manual or perhaps it was the up-fitters guide that mentions this.

As far as Scotty Kilmer, I would file him in the entertainment column and not in the expert column.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Good for you, no one should be afraid to ask a question but should expect a responsible answer.

The BMS system will automatically detect the new battery's capacity, you need to do nothing. Remember to connect any accessories to your battery, if you have any, on the non-battery post side of the BMS sensor so the sensor can detect the usage of power from the battery. I think late-model RAMs moved the sensor to the negative post to mitigate this issue. I believe the owner's manual or perhaps it was the up-fitters guide that mentions this.

As far as Scotty Kilmer, I would file him in the entertainment column and not in the expert column.
There is no BMS in a Ram, there is an IBS.
The documents I see show it does in fact have memory.
If you used one of those "power saves devices" to swap the battery you would be wrong for doing so and would screwup the new battery since the IBS doesn't reset.

GUID-0807108665.png

The Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) (1) is a device used to measure battery current, voltage, and temperature whose outputs are used in the energy management strategy.

The mechanical portion of the IBS is comprised of the battery clamp for the negative terminal and a captured bolt to attach the ground cable to. The functional tasks include establishing the electrical contact between the body and the negative battery post, housing the electronic module (actual sensor element) and the provision of an adequate thermal contact between the sensor system temperature sensor and the negative battery post. The mechanical portion of the IBS also protects the sensitive electronic components from external influences.

The IBS is mounted directly on the 12 volt DC battery’s negative post. The battery post clamp nut is a captive nut and the stud will break if the nut is removed.

OPERATION​

The Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) contains a low value resistor, or shunt. The shunt creates a voltage drop, which is read by an internal microcontroller to determine the current flow in and out of the battery. In addition to the shunt, the IBS contains a sensor to monitor the battery’s temperature. Data gathered by the IBS, including temperature, voltage, and current measurements, are transmitted over a Local Interface Network (LIN) communication bus to either the Body Control Module (BCM) or the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), depending on the application. The IBS serves two primary purposes. The first is to provide the PCM with both immediate and historical battery information, so the PCM can precisely control the charging system. Precise charging is important on a vehicle equipped with an Absorbent Glass Material (AGM) battery, because they are especially sensitive to overcharging. The second purpose is to provide data to the BCM for operation of the load-shedding feature. A fused power circuit and the LIN bus are connected to the IBS though a two-terminal connector.

The IBS is readable and diagnosable via the diagnostic scan tool. The tool can display all of the available parameters needed for vehicle servicing or troubleshooting.

In addition to real-time measurements, the IBS transmits some calculated battery data over the LIN bus. These values are calculated by storing measurements over time.

Information the IBS sends on the Controller Area Network-Interior High Speed (CAN-IHS):

• SOC = Battery State of Charge (or SOC): Is expressed as a percentage. The IBS calculates the SOC based on measured voltage, and charge and discharge rates. Therefore, SOC is not a direct percentage of battery voltage.
  • SOF = Battery State of Function (SOF): Is a calculated prediction of the lowest voltage the battery will drop to during engine cranking. This calculation is based off of ambient temperature and vehicle load. If the conditions are not correct the system will go into “ Battery Protection Mode” which should be displayed on the Instrument Cluster Panel (ICP).
The PCM and BCM use this calculated information to optimize vehicle power management for increased fuel efficiency.

When the IBS is powered up for the first time or is powered after a power disconnection, it enters a “re-calibration” phase, where the IBS must recognize the type of battery and its characteristics and state. So in this phase the tolerances on the state functions (SOC, SOF) are greater than in normal working condition. When IBS is disconnected from the battery, the device loses its stored memory. When power is restored, the IBS starts a relearn process. Until the relearn process is complete, accurate battery state information is unavailable to other vehicle systems. The IBS relearn process requires three to five normal, operator initiated starts with at least eight hours of engine off time between each start. Usually, the process takes a few days of vehicle operation to complete. Remember, the relearn process is restarted every time power is reconnected to the IBS. This has a major effect on the stop/start feature.

A Note about Electric Stop/Start (ESS) and the IBS - ESS operation places a heavy demand on the battery. So, during ESS events, the PCM boosts the charging system’s output to immediately recharge the battery after a start.

If the IBS is faulty it cannot be serviced, it must be replaced.

BATTERY DISCONNECT AND CONNECT - SINGLE 12V BATTERY SYSTEM​

NOTE

The graphic in this procedure depicts a typical negative battery cable and Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) connection at the negative battery post. The location of the battery and orientation of the cable eyelet connection to the IBS can vary between vehicles. Refer to the Description and Operation for the battery specific location.
GUID-0807137871.png

1 - Ground Terminal Nut
2 - IBS Wire Harness Connector
BATTERY DISCONNECT PROCEDURE:

1. Remove the ground terminal nut.
  2. Remove and isolate the negative battery cable eyelet from the IBS. This will isolate the 12 volt from the vehicle electrical system.
    NOTE
    If removing the negative battery cable clamp from the battery post instead of removing the negative battery cable eyelet, the Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) wire harness connector must be disconnecting prior to removing the cable end. Failure to disconnect the IBS wire harness connector can lead to damage of the IBS wire harness connector.

U

User_3336

Proper Battery Charging > > In-Vehicle systems is not an issue. Please note to charge through the IBS. Customers, Dealers, Mechanics, and Engineers usually want to place the negative clamp on the pole of the battery. This creates Blind charging. “DO NOT BLIND CHARGE”

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My girlfriend‘s F-Pace requires that you provide a 12v source to the posts under the hood while the battery is being changed in the back. This eliminates the vehicle’s system from losing some functions and memory. I believe something has to be reset to restore the correct charge rate for the new battery. Thankfully she recently had the battery swapped under warranty. They were quoting almost $500. INSANITY!!!! Glad we don’t have to jump through those hoops with our trucks.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Proper Battery Charging > > In-Vehicle systems is not an issue. Please note to charge through the IBS. Customers, Dealers, Mechanics, and Engineers usually want to place the negative clamp on the pole of the battery. This creates Blind charging. “DO NOT BLIND CHARGE”
What about when using jumper cables?

jkm312

Reaction score
Some more info on IBS.
What about the NOCO charger's. I use a 5 amp charger once a month on both the car and truck batteries to keep them fully charged. Small town living, lots of short drives. What got my attention was they seem to be an all in one charger. Regular acid battery, AGM, Lithium. They are said to ramp down once the battery is fully charged and go into a maintenance mode and help desulfate battery. I knew there were sensor's and controls on the batteries, but never gave a thought about where to put the negative charger clamp. I always get the clamp teeth into the top of both battery posts. Both batteries are AGM's.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Huh, I've read (and still practice) charging (not jumping) with the negative clamp on a grounded nut/bolt, not the negative of the battery. My Ferd Edge says to do it that way, haven't read the manual for the RAM as far as charging goes.
As far as replacing the battery, this YT has a good step by step:
How to replace a Ram 1500 battery. 2019 2020 2021 2022 Ram 1500 dead battery . Ram 1500 battery fix
YouTube
Garage Toyz
44.2K views
Oct 20, 2022

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Upon further research on this forum, I found an Oct 30, 2021 post from Hal9001 that corrects what I had said about bypassing the negative post when using a charger. The same basic info was alluded to by Jako on Thursdays reply. Here's the older post:

"First of all, you do not ever want to bypass the IBS when charging. RAM has a TSB out on this. That is called "Blind Charging". The IBS carefully monitors all electrical current going into and out of the battery to properly report the battery's condition. When you charge the battery, the IBS should record the charge going into the battery. If it doesn't, it may report an incorrect battery condition.

The battery's negative (-) post is connected directly to the IBS. From the IBS the connection then goes to chassis ground. So, anything connected to chassis ground goes through the IBS. When you connect a battery charger, connect the charger's Red + lead to the battery's positive (+) terminal and the Black (-) lead to chassis ground or to the IBS's top terminal. This is the proper connection for charging. Do not connect the battery charger's Black (-) lead directly to the battery's Negative (-) post. This will bypass the IBS and can result in an improper battery condition report from the IBS."

So my bad on that. My Ferd has a battery sense monitor on the positive side so maybe that's why it has never given me a low voltage message. A mechanic I ain't.

Users who are viewing this thread