5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reset TPMS Tire Low Indicator

tbaker1032

Reaction score
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel

I've lowered my front psi to 48 and rear to 45. It was riding too rough at 55 in the front. Now the TPMS indicator is on and won't go off. Is there a way to reset?

BillyCrash

Reaction score
I've got the 2020 Rebel 1500 like he does, I'm assuming his is the same as mine, 55/45. Does seem like a strange pressure front to back, but I assume it's due to the weight of the vehicle being much higher on the front tires than the rear tires.

20200409_072928.jpg

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel

I've lowered my front psi to 48 and rear to 45. It was riding too rough at 55 in the front. Now the TPMS indicator is on and won't go off. Is there a way to reset?
You can use the Tazer to change the psi values. Unfortunately if this is the only need for the Tazer it would be an expensive proposition.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

tbaker1032

Reaction score
I've got the 2020 Rebel 1500 like he does, I'm assuming his is the same as mine, 55/45. Does seem like a strange pressure front to back, but I assume it's due to the weight of the vehicle being much higher on the front tires than the rear tires.

View attachment 54311
@BillyCrash
Yes, that's the same as mine. Are you running 55 in the front? I switched out the factory wheels and tires. I have 35x12.5x20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers tires with 20" Fuel wheels on my truck. The tires don't wear good at 55 psi and the ride is really rough.

BillyCrash

Reaction score
@BillyCrash
Yes, that's the same as mine. Are you running 55 in the front? I switched out the factory wheels and tires. I have 35x12.5x20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers tires with 20" Fuel wheels on my truck. The tires don't wear good at 55 psi and the ride is really rough.
Yeah, I'm still running the 55 in front, haven't changed it. I may drop it down to 50, have you found out at what point the warning comes up?

Memphsi87

Reaction score
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel

In order to reset you have to fill to recommended level for tires which is 55 front, 45 rear

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And just an FYI the dealer tried to be able to set the values lower for me with negative results. Tazer or something similar the only way I know so far

Memphsi87

Reaction score
So do you know at what level you can go down to before indicator turns on and you have to refill to reset?
Well no, but going off previous dodges I’ve owned , typically around 8-10psi below manufacture , will trip the warning

tbaker1032

Reaction score
Ok, well I'll try 50 and see if it triggers. You would think it could handle a 10% reduction without triggering a warning.
I put mine at 47 in the front but it went down to 44 overnight. I think that's what triggered the warning. I'm going to put it back to 55 to get the warning to go away and see if 49 will work.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had the same issue driving at night when it became cold and the pressures in the rear dropped enough to get the warning. Once up to the set pressure (55/45), it may not go away immediately, you may have to drive a few miles for the light to go away.

I occasionally off-road my truck and drop the pressures to about 20 psi front and rear. I think 5-7 psi below will trigger the warning light, you may get away with 49 psi front unless you drive on a really cold night and it drops further.

As mentioned, only way to change the pressure warning settings is a programmer like the Taser. Kinda pricey, but you do have other features that can become useful in the future such as speedo corrections due to tire/gear ratios, light operations, etc.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
AlfaOBD can change the settings as well and comes in at a cheaper price than the Tazer DT with other capabilities as well. If you have a local person with an Alfa set up they could probably help you out.

Last edited:

BillyCrash

Reaction score
Has anyone addressed why the Rebel seems to have the strange tire pressure (55/45) vs the other models of the same 1500 (for example a Limited at 36/36)? I haven't seen an explanation anywhere, maybe I missed it. I get the logic of the front having higher pressure due to that's where the vehicle weight is, but why is this not the case on the other models? Is it because the Rebel is considered the most off-road of the lineup? Scratching my head.

tbaker1032

Reaction score
Has anyone addressed why the Rebel seems to have the strange tire pressure (55/45) vs the other models of the same 1500 (for example a Limited at 36/36)? I haven't seen an explanation anywhere, maybe I missed it. I get the logic of the front having higher pressure due to that's where the vehicle weight is, but why is this not the case on the other models? Is it because the Rebel is considered the most off-road of the lineup? Scratching my head.

I was wondering the same. Rides like hell on roads at higher than 50 in the front.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't get it either, seems strange to have such a large difference between front and rear. I mean I understand the higher pressures due to high ply A/T tires normally recommending it.

Users who are viewing this thread