5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reprogram used keyfob?

Treek

Reaction score
My used RAM only came with one key fob, so the dealer grabbed another one off a different truck for me to get reprogrammed as my spare. When I took to RAM dealer, they said once a key fob is programmed, it can’t be switched to a different vehicle VIN. Is this true, I mean it’s just SW? I can’t see paying $600 when I have a good fob just sitting there ready to use.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My used RAM only came with one key fob, so the dealer grabbed another one off a different truck for me to get reprogrammed as my spare. When I took to RAM dealer, they said once a key fob is programmed, it can’t be switched to a different vehicle VIN. Is this true, I mean it’s just SW? I can’t see paying $600 when I have a good fob just sitting there ready to use.
page 26 owner's manual
NOTE: once a key fob is programmed to a vehicle, it cannot be reprogrammed to another vehicle.
It does not sound like there is a work around from talking to a friend who is a BMW mechanic.

Users who are viewing this thread