5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reproducible rough start condition, starting after short run time

2wd

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced this issue? Truck will start perfect even after sitting up to a week. You run it a short time (under 20-30 seconds), say to move out of the way of another car in the driveway. Then, when you restart the vehicle later that day, it's loud/rough like it is suddenly oil starved.

I have been able to reproduce this start condition 3-4 times, but now i go out of my way to let the engine run more on the first start to not do any harm, even is small.

Does anyone else have this happen? Note the vehicle never procudes this rough start even after sitting for a week, in hot or cold climates. It's only the second start, and only after a prior start short run time, that is rough/loud for 3-4 seconds.

Mrtosh

Reaction score
Yes, I've noticed this on my 12, 14, and 16 Rebel. Almost sounds like a starved lifter.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Apparently this is due to poor oil and/or oil filter. Guys on other forums have recommended filters with a good anti drain back valve. There are many possibilities for what to recommend, but I've never experienced the issue once. I'm running redline 0w-30 oil and royal purple oil filter.

2wd

Reaction score
Agree it sounds like something with the oil, but I don't think it's filter/oil related. This seems like a Hemi specific issue. I've never observed this across all the other vehicles I've owned. It's unusual in how specific the issue is (occurs only on a followup start after a short run). I would think if it was poor filter drainback it would occur randomly, or be most likely to occur after sitting a long time.

Could you point me to the other thread where this is issue is discussed?

silver billet

Reaction score
I don't remember the exact forums/threads. It was a combination of "bob is the oil guy" (bitog) and another ram forum which I won't name here and it was well over a year ago when I was reading all that stuff.

You could try the dealer and see what they say if it's under warranty, if they can't find anything then changing the oil/filter would be a very easy and painless test to try, if you know the exact steps to reproduce and can do it every time.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
I'd try letting your truck run for a little longer than 20-30 seconds to full allow starting/warm up procedures in the engine and computer to complete. Might help limit condensation created by only achieving a low operating temperature.

RamCares

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced this issue? Truck will start perfect even after sitting up to a week. You run it a short time (under 20-30 seconds), say to move out of the way of another car in the driveway. Then, when you restart the vehicle later that day, it's loud/rough like it is suddenly oil starved.

I have been able to reproduce this start condition 3-4 times, but now i go out of my way to let the engine run more on the first start to not do any harm, even is small.

Does anyone else have this happen? Note the vehicle never procudes this rough start even after sitting for a week, in hot or cold climates. It's only the second start, and only after a prior start short run time, that is rough/loud for 3-4 seconds.

Yes, I've noticed this on my 12, 14, and 16 Rebel. Almost sounds like a starved lifter.
Hello @2wd and @Mrtosh, we certainly understand how this would be a concern. In order to determine resolutions to vehicle concerns, an in-person diagnosis must take place in order to exhaust all possible root causes. As we appreciate the assistance provided by your fellow forum members, we recommend obtaining a proper diagnosis from your certified RAM dealer. If you would like additional support throughout your dealer service, please let us know via a private message and we will be more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf!

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread