5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacing the stock 6-speaker system

SacRebel

Reaction score
I'd like to replace the stock speakers that came with my truck. My main concern is finding the right sizes and wattage. I'm looking for a simple swap without needing to make any modifications or add an amp.

To my understanding these are the sizes of the speakers...

Dash - 3.5"
Front doors - 5.25"
Rear doors - 5.25"

What would be the appropriate wattages for these speakers and 2 or 3-way? I don't run a lot of bass, looking more for clarity.

Has anyone replaced these themselves and how did it go? I did my '04 Ram a couple years ago and it was pretty easy.

Will a special harness be needed or will that depend on the speakers purchased?

Bleda2002

Reaction score
They are 6x9 in the doors actually.

I replaced my dash and front doors today with jbl gx302 3.5s in the front and jbl gx963 6x9 in the front doors. I'm planning on swapping the rears with 963s as well.

As far as ease, the dash speakers took about 10-15 minutes a pop.

The doors aren't hard, but you need a pry tool as there are 14 plastic snaps to pry up. The first one took me a bit as I fought the panel and had to open up the mounting holes on the speaker with a 1/2 inch drill. The 2nd one took 15-20 minutes since I already knew what I was doing.

Users who are viewing this thread