5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacing the garbage quality Rambox light switches with high quality switches

ProjectsInMotion

Reaction score
I recently noticed that lights in my passenger side Rambox weren't working. I diagnosed the issue: the garbage quality switch allowed the entire length of wire from the switch to the first connector inside the Rambox hatch to corrode, with that wire eventually breaking at the first connector

PXL_20230212_145557855.jpg

Ultimately, the problem is the fact that the back of the switch is exposed to the elements and has no protection from dust or water ingress. Only the front of the switch is protected. Put simply, these are the wrong switches for the application. Look at the back of the switch where the load wire (yellow) is connected: there is no protection from the elements at all, the insulation ends outside of the body of the switch. Even if the insulation ended inside the body, the opening in the body for the wire is larger than the wire and insulation, and will still allow dust and water ingress

PXL_20230218_175634464.jpg

The correct switch for the application would be one with an IP67 rating for the front and back. I picked the NKK WT11L for the replacement units. These switches are toggle switches, if you want pushbutton switches like the factory ones, look for the NKK WB12L. Note the "L" in the part numbers, it denotes that the switches come with wire leads attached which is the only variety of each switch that has an IP67 rating for the front and back. These switches have bodies that are much larger than the factory switches but they still fit just fine.

Even though only the passenger's side switch failed, I replaced the switches on both sides. This is the driver's side Rambox wiring with the new switch wired in

PXL_20230218_174347118.jpg

This is a closer view of the switch body. Note how the body of the switch is completely sealed

PXL_20230218_174353239.jpg

This is the front of the switch.

PXL_20230218_174829705.jpg

The toggle still allows more than enough movement for the 120V outlet cover

PXL_20230218_174846491.jpg

It took about an hour per side to replace the switches and the switches themselves were about $25 + tax and shipping each. That's considerably more expensive than factory replacements but I'm confident that these switches and their associated wiring won't fail.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread