5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacing the dash 12-volt charging port with USB Port

feassarian

Reaction score
I know you can replace these ports - however, I am wondering if - generally speaking - it's a simple remove and replace or if it requires more intensive wiring. It appears the majority of these USB replacements have two prongs on the rear, similar to an electrical plug, for attaching the wires.

Does the 12-volt port that comes with the truck use a similar attachment mechanism?

tl;dr - can I remove the 12-volt port from the dash, remove the wire connections and simply reattach the wires to the new USB port - or is there more wiring involved?

Thanks!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Simple as $10 and 3 seconds to install, with a nice flush mount USB adaptor. No need to rewire or remove anything.

I like the metal flush mounted ones that barely stick out, the door won't close all the way, but still barely noticeable, I use one to power my action cam on my dash.

This one I highly recommend, has enough power to "super fast charge" my android phone by the way, the fastest I've ever seen.

Dual USB Flush Mount:

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know you can replace these ports - however, I am wondering if - generally speaking - it's a simple remove and replace or if it requires more intensive wiring. It appears the majority of these USB replacements have two prongs on the rear, similar to an electrical plug, for attaching the wires.

Does the 12-volt port that comes with the truck use a similar attachment mechanism?

tl;dr - can I remove the 12-volt port from the dash, remove the wire connections and simply reattach the wires to the new USB port - or is there more wiring involved?

Thanks!
If the adapter has a 12 volt to 5 volt converter like those that you just plug into a "cig lighter", then the answer is yes. There is nothing special about that plug.

Users who are viewing this thread